Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreat albums let down by a single track

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 05:28
I revere Queen's debut all the way thru and I sing along with Jesus.  I'm not a Christian either,  I just feel Jesus is a good song.   

As a kid I liked Benny the Bouncer,  as an adult I can see why folks would ask, "WTF?"   Sounds like a song that should be in a musical like Oliver. 

I agree, Going for the One is the weakest song off of Going for the One.  However, sometimes I groove to Going for the One.  Like that "food" you enjoy some days and tastes bitter other days.  Weird.  
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 07:25
A few of mine that haven't been said yet:

Aphrodite's Child / 666 - Infinity
Camel / Rain Dances - Highways of the Sun
Frank Zappa / Uncle Meat - King Kong IV
Mike Oldfield / Crises - Shadow on the Wall
Patrick Moraz / The Story of I - Like A Child In Disguise
Porcupine Tree / The Sky Moves Sideways - The Sky Moves Sideways: Phase 2

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 08:18
I love More Fool Me, The Battle Of Epping Forest, Going  For The One, Sound Chaser and Benny The Bouncer. But a big +1 for the horrible Providence which ruins the perfection of Red. Should have saved the improv stuff for the box sets.
slowdancer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 11:06
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by slowdancer slowdancer wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Selling England By The Pound, The Battle Of Epping Forest.....and not More Fool Me...
WRONG!
BOEF - brilliant lyrics , and some lovely quirky musical bits as well -easily in the top 10 tracks by Genesis.
More Fool Me.....Dead

Agreed!!

Mr. Slowdancer!  I thought we were friends... Cry LOL

Yes, we are. But More Fool Me is sh*te,wheras BOEF is mere genius.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 11:34
I agree with Battle of Epping Forest on Selling England (not that I like More Fool Me, but it's rather short and harmless) and with Providence on Red (not really bad, but not really good either... I guess they should have used the Ausbury improv, or one of it's soundalikes, instead). Perhaps Cans and Brahams on Fragile... not that it's terrible, but it was a missed opportunity, since as I understand it, Wakeman really wanted to use what later became "Catherine of Aragon", but for contractual things he couldn't contribute any songwriting to Yes, and if that song had been in the album it would have been even better.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 12:40
I love Transatlantic's first album SMPTe, but I tend to stop when it gets to In Held Twas In I. I know it's meant to be a classic Procol harum song but it does nothing for me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 15:39

Selling England By The Pound, The Battle Of Epping Forest.....and not More Fool Me...

I agree with this. Epping Forest is crashingly dull but because it's 10 minutes long and on an album with so much great music , it just gets away with it. At least ELP kept Benny The Bouncer to only 2 minutes of pain.
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 15:43
This may be tantamount to sacrilege, but The Great Deceiver opening Starless And Bible Black. All clatter and clamor and no punchline, no payoff.

The album would have been just fine starting with Lament.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 15:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Kate Bush has a few pretty weak tracks on her best albums, the most striking being Big Sky on Hounds of Love. Also Leave It Open is by an amazing amount worse than everything else on The Dreaming. All We Ever Look For annoys me on Never For Ever (although this arguably has more than one of this kind).

Hounds Of Love is pretty much perfect in my book but if I had to try and pick a weak track then it would be Mother Stands For Comfort.(but it's still okay at least)
The Dreaming is such an odd album anyway that you are really on very subjective ground.
All We Ever Look For?...mmm .. perhaps right on that one.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 15:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I agree with Battle of Epping Forest on Selling England (not that I like More Fool Me, but it's rather short and harmless) and with Providence on Red (not really bad, but not really good either... I guess they should have used the Ausbury improv, or one of it's soundalikes, instead). Perhaps Cans and Brahams on Fragile... not that it's terrible, but it was a missed opportunity, since as I understand it, Wakeman really wanted to use what later became "Catherine of Aragon", but for contractual things he couldn't contribute any songwriting to Yes, and if that song had been in the album it would have been even better.

..and on the subject of Wakeman - The Breathalyser . A horrid stinker of a track on what is otherwise a great album.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 16:07
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Kate Bush has a few pretty weak tracks on her best albums, the most striking being Big Sky on Hounds of Love. Also Leave It Open is by an amazing amount worse than everything else on The Dreaming. All We Ever Look For annoys me on Never For Ever (although this arguably has more than one of this kind).
Again, it's down to personal taste. I love The Big Sky but I can take or leave Mother Stands for Comfort. I also like All We Ever Look For.
Love all of those. I don't understand how a Kate Bush can do anything but. That said Violin is kind of annoying.  
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 16:42
I don't really think an album can be let down by just one track or even two but here are a few that could have been improved if a better song or two were on it instead of ones that were:

Kansas- Monolith (track that should have not been on it: stay out of trouble(plus maybe one other)

Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards (traveller in time(not horrible but come on))

Yes - Tales from topographic Oceans (the remembering just really drags for me. I like the first ten minutes but then it becomes a chore to listen to after the "relayer" part). I really enjoy pretty much the rest of the album though.

"     - Tormato -release release and madrigal are the weakest links for me and not circus of heaven but ymmv. 

ELP- Tarkus time and a place (just not a very interesting track at least are you ready Eddy is fun)

Genesis- Foxtrot (not a big fan of get em out by Friday but I suppose it has grown on me somewhat over the years)

Genesis - SEBTP - ditto from above but with Battle of Epping Forest
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 16:48
[Aerosmith's Get A Grip is let down by not just one, but three tracks. Overall it's a great rock album, but all the hit singles Cryin', Crazy and Amazing are absolutely dreadful and would have been better left off the album altogether. Aerosmith never could get their ballads right, could they?]

It's funny you mention that because I feel pretty much the same exact way about Permanent Vacation(and was thinking about this very thing recently after listening to it again). It's the hits(or radio songs)that are the worst ones on there too(Angel, rag doll and dude looks like a lady). Angel in particular is rather difficult for me to listen to. I don't know if it's because they were trying too hard with these or what but the rest of the album is really good. Funny how that works sometimes. I recently bought "get a grip" too after not hearing it for a very long time so I guess I will have to listen to it again. Same thing with Pump.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 19 2017 at 16:49
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 21:36
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

..and on the subject of Wakeman - The Breathalyser . A horrid stinker of a track on what is otherwise a great album.

Yeah, great album too, except for that track. I didn't actually remember that one. I might add to "Wish you were Here"... with the song "Have a Cigar". The album is actually my very favourite of all, and Have a Cigar isn't really a horrible song (such as Epping Forest), but I just don't find it nearly as great as the rest of the album. Also, with Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells"... well, it isn't exactly a song, because of the format of the album, but I just love it all up to the Caveman section on side 2... from there on it goes downhill.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 21:39
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I love More Fool Me, The Battle Of Epping Forest, Going  For The One, Sound Chaser and Benny The Bouncer. But a big +1 for the horrible Providence which ruins the perfection of Red. Should have saved the improv stuff for the box sets.

Couldn't agree more actually and it's a big reason why LTIA is my favorite of the Bruford/Wetton era. That being said I actually still like the track "starless and bible black" from the album of the same name even though it is an improv but still agree they should have maybe just put them on one album or something.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 21:50
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

I love Transatlantic's first album SMPTe, but I tend to stop when it gets to In Held Twas In I. I know it's meant to be a classic Procol harum song but it does nothing for me.

Talking about Transatlantic, my favourite from them is "The Whilrwind", but that last song is just so out of place I wish they just hadn't included it.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 21:52
I'm surprised Moonchild hasn't been mentioned yet. I kind of like Providence, it's got some nice tense and intense moments. Moonchild just sounds like they were fooling around in the studio.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 23:02
The Fountain of Lamneth on Rush's Caress of Steel is probably the only example that comes to my mind of a single song that drags down an entire album. Side one is 20 minutes of great hard rock and heavy prog, but then the second side loses a lot of energy in comparison, and flows quite poorly.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 05:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Selling England By The Pound, The Battle Of Epping Forest.....and not More Fool Me...

I agree with this. Epping Forest is crashingly dull but because it's 10 minutes long and on an album with so much great music , it just gets away with it. At least ELP kept Benny The Bouncer to only 2 minutes of pain.
I am astounded, nay flabberghasted , BOEF - goes with the concept - reflecting the gangland and gangsters who were in the news late sixties and early seventies, brilliant lyrics alone do not make it boring to listen to!
And I love the ARP synth 3/4 of the way through - backed up by the hand clapping I think - If they had added a reprise at the end and added a bit of Hackett magic - it would have been an epic to match suppers ready - I love it me......
They called me the Reverend when I entered the church unstained...............

Edited by M27Barney - October 20 2017 at 05:34
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 05:37

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Talking about Transatlantic, my favourite from them is "The Whilrwind", but that last song is just so out of place I wish they just hadn't included it.
Aye - the last track is appallingly preachy - the religious message had been veiled quite successfully until the horrible lyrics of the finale - should have just bolted on a majestic instrumental piece and improved the track by 100%
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>