Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is Marlon Brando the greatest actor in modern tim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Marlon Brando the greatest actor in modern tim

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is he
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [8.70%]
21 [91.30%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Marlon Brando the greatest actor in modern tim
    Posted: October 18 2017 at 11:55
how do one deem great idunno. but Marlon is in modern time the measurring stick to match acting ( method) on.

so directly, subjectivly is Brando the best.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 12:33
no
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 14:54
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

no

Erm....no.....
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 15:14
Wow. I have seen a bunch of hitchcock movies, james stewart, bogart (a fav in movies he goes insane) movies, cary grant movies..heck even a lot of abbott & costello .. but looking at a top 15 list of brando movies..i'm not sure i've actually ever seen one! 

Edit: Oops. I've seen him in Superman ;)

Edited by Blinkyjoh - October 18 2017 at 15:16
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 15:29
lolno
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 16:35
No to the question.  James Stewart, George C. Scott, Anthony Hopkins, Daniel Day-Lewis come to mind before Brando. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 06:53
No, but he's no joke, regardless of his acting in Apocalypse Now.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 18:05
No. I would put Laurence Olivier or Daniel Day-Lewis ahead of him. Maybe even Jack Nicholson.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 18:21
He certainly was the greatest actor in his time if one judges acting by a masterful ability to imitate (rather than to act).   I wouldn't put Jimmy Stewart, Day-Lewis, George C. Scott in even the same league as Brando.   Anthony Hopkins and Jack Nicholson maybe, and Spencer Tracey.   I'd say Tom Hardy or Colin Farrell are as good as any of them.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 18:52
Absolutely not
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 15:02
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

He certainly was the greatest actor in his time if one judges acting by a masterful ability to imitate (rather than to act).   I wouldn't put Jimmy Stewart, Day-Lewis, George C. Scott in even the same league as Brando.   Anthony Hopkins and Jack Nicholson maybe, and Spencer Tracey.   I'd say Tom Hardy or Colin Farrell are as good as any of them.

????????????????

{ EDIT: fixed tube embed. When trying it as [tube ]]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCA6uxQE-bw [/ TUBE], i.e. the full address, it doesn't work and leads to warning on computers as it tries to install software, instead it should be just the code at the end in the tube tags e.g., without being broken [ tube] CCA6uxQE-bw [/ tube] }

Edited by Logan - October 23 2017 at 10:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 16:10
^ Scott was a wonderful actor but he didn't have Brando's uncanny ability to repeatedly become someone else.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 10:13
I think I'd pick either Curly Howard, Bill Owen, or David Pollock.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 10:19
No, I don't think so, and if there is a best, I have no idea who it would be.

Acting Masterclass with Marlon Brando:

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 09:30
Not for me....hard to pick one greatest....I have always liked DeNiro, Pacino, Duvall, Gary Oldman, Kevin Spacey....to name a few..
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 10:29
I don't know whom  I'd choose, but surely not Brando .
(nobody mentions Newman, why's that?)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 09:55
Hi,

I'm not sure that it is possible to sit here and decide on which of these is more important to the acting in film and theater.

If one chooses theater over film, a Marlon Brando and Lawrence Olivier share the same room. If one selects film, Marlon Brando wins hands down in a comparison, for example.

But there are some small things that are very important, possibly not considered here. One is that both were massively important to bringing out new writers and listerature for the theater ... with Marlon Brando making a strong case with one scream (STELLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!) and Lawrence Olivier so important and valuable to the many writers that were a part of the original "angry young men" ... that eventually help lead into the National Theater and the Royal Shakespeare Company, both of which were unreal instruments in the explosion of creativity in the theater that carried on to film for many years, in similar styles and hands like director Ken Russell and others.

America had the Actor's Studio (Lee Strasberg) where so many famous folks came through and are, STILL, favored names in both theater and films ... and these folks made famous so many writers that it is impossible to name them all, but we can start with the one scream from Marlon Brando putting Tennessee Williams on the map, and going from there non-stop for many years.

However, there is a problem here ... it's like saying that Toshiro Miffune had no influence in Japan, Marcello Mastroianni was a nobody in Italy, and in France, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Alain Delon and many others were just street performers without talent, and that is not the case whatsoever. They also helped bring film to the forefront, in this case a lot more than theater, as these folks were not as well known for their theater work.

So for this poll, I'm abstaining, because it lacks the knowledge to consider the history, and both actors were MASSIVE in the development of their theater and film ... in different countries, and both helped bring out many writers. Choosing one over the other is kind of unfair, as they merely were a part of their social arts ... and not necessarily the main representative. It's hard to leave behind so many writers all the way to Edward Albee, and actors like Jason Robarts, that gave his life to theater, and was not quite a "known" star in film like some of the others, that were so influential ... as to blow these two choices out of the water.

But some credit needs to be changed some ... folks like Elia Kazan and Lee Strasberg and Sir Peter Hall, and even Peter Brook, probably deserve more credit for even having the guts and the vision to do something different ... nowadays, a Trump would kill it, because he has no interest in them or money involved!

So much for the arts!

For some interesting things on this subject, do catch as many of the interviews on the one channel on actors and their profession. Some of them have been absolutely massive and revealing in ways that just about surprise you, and make you feel like you just met this person ... and that's the actor/actress? WOW ... and they get to talk to the young actors for several minutes towards the end of the show.

James Lipton and his Actors Studio is very important, and over the years it has had some names in it that defy reason, and ideas. Try this line up ... Anthony Quinn (great!), Jeanne Moreau (amazing), Meryl Streep (out of this world funny!), Robin Williams (fantastic!), Paul Newman, Arthur Miller, Faye Dunaway, Ellen Burstyn, Jessica Lange, Gene Wilder, Stanley Donen, Martin Landau, Mike Nichols, Meg Ryan, Billy Crystal, Shirley MacLaine, Eli Wallach, Jack Lemmon ...

And that's just in the first 3 or 4 years ... it is, by far, one of the most revealing thing ever about the actors and their craft and how they approach it. Some wonderful surprises and fun moments all over ... and appreciation that goes far beyond just a film, or a play ... it's a real person!

Edited by moshkito - October 26 2017 at 10:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 18:52
I agree with you on Lipton, one of the main thing that program highligted for me was the nurturing of story and tallent to promote story. Marlon was one good teller of story and builder for character but what made Brandl much more important is hes impact on the next generation. From Gene Hackman, Jack Nicholsen, Dustin Hofmann, Robert DeNiro, Al Pachino, Robert Duvall and Alan Alda. Robert Redford an Eestwood as well but they also have other sources of influences as well.

Among my favourite actor studio portraits is Glenn Close and Francis Ford Coppola
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 22:48
Claude Rains.
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 23:07
^ Brilliant
 Post Reply Post Reply