Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2017 at 21:07
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Tormato in nowhere near as bad as people like to make out so I wouldn't skip that one at all (juts a couple of 'iffy' tracks Circus Of Heaven  and Madrigal)
Drama is indeed one of Yes best releases. I only like CTTE, Fragile and The Yes Album ahead of it. Relayer has Gates which is better than anything else Yes ever did imo but the other tracks are hard to compare with anything else either.
Not a great fan of 90125 . It's okay but I actually prefer Talk from the Trevor Rabin era.
DVD wise please check out 'Yes Symphonic' , one of the best prog DVD's there is. 

And Symphonic live has the best version of Gates of Delirium
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2017 at 22:02
90125 is good but aside from maybe Open Your Eyes it's probably the most blatantly pop oriented album they ever did partly because initially it wasn't going to be a Yes record. Still, I don't think it deserves the bad reputation that many of the long time Yes purists seem to bestow upon it. Same thing with Big Generator which is one of their most under rated albums imo(especially these days).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 00:14
I don’t see what all the fuss is about Tormato. Never did understand that. Great album, sure it’s streamlined but still pretty awesome. I guess the difference is that I discovered the album after-the-fact (‘87). It was never a jarring experience to hear it. Same with Genesis (ATTWT) and ELP (LB). Sure they are not on the same level as earlier offerings but still very good albums.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 03:48
The Yes Album.

Then, work your way on from there!
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 11:37
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I don’t see what all the fuss is about Tormato. Never did understand that. Great album, sure it’s streamlined but still pretty awesome. I guess the difference is that I discovered the album after-the-fact (‘87). It was never a jarring experience to hear it. Same with Genesis (ATTWT) and ELP (LB). Sure they are not on the same level as earlier offerings but still very good albums.

I don't get why Tormato gets dumped on, either. It's prime-era Yes!
dbeckton89 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 11:52
Just listen to them all, ...or until you've had enough of Jon Anderson.
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 12:09
Originally posted by dbeckton89 dbeckton89 wrote:

Yes, but in which order?
dbeckton89 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 12:20
Well you've already listened to the essentials by the looks of things so it doesn't really matter does it?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 12:23
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Yeah me neither. I also heard it a bit later (mid to late eighties or so) so maybe that might also explain my tolerance for it (yes even circus of heaven which I quite like). While I wouldn't put it in the same boat as relayer, TYA, Fragile, CTTE or even Tales it still is very solid imo and doesn't deserve the poor reputation it gets. I'd say it's maybe a step down from GFTO but at the same time there's a certain vibe it has that GFTO seems to be lacking. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 12:27
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Originally posted by dbeckton89 dbeckton89 wrote:

Yes, but in which order?

Well you don't necessarily need every Yes album. You can certainly do that if you want but it depends on your attitude towards less pure prog. If you are ok with stuff that maybe isn't 100 pure prog then dig into their eighties albums and go chronologically. If you want to stick with stuff that is pure prog or as close to it as possible then I would say definitely get Drama(and probably Tormato too at some point)but then skip the eighties except for ABWH which you might like and get the Keys to Ascension albums and then eventually the Ladder and Magnification. You can skip the rest(at least for now). This of course is all my opinion(as a long time big fan). 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 14:23
The Yes Album
Drama
The Ladder
Magnification
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 17:13
Magnification - despite the lack of a keyboardist. The orchestral backing of these songs works very well. Some really strong compositions are hidden in there.

I actually thought Fly From Here was a good attempt at capturing the original spirit of Yes - without Mr Anderson. Better than their latest one for sure, sadly.

Edited by Squonk19 - October 25 2017 at 17:15
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 17:26
Always quite liked Tormato. Production was a bit tinny and while there is the odd below par track - most of it holds up well! Not in the same league as even GFTO, but not one to avoid either.

Avoid Union as a whole (great tour though!) but if you can pick out Lift Me Up and The Miracle of Life from it, you have two quality songs amongst the production dross elsewhere. Still love Rick Wakeman's quote - "I call it Onion, because it always makes me cry!"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 21:28
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Magnification - despite the lack of a keyboardist. The orchestral backing of these songs works very well. Some really strong compositions are hidden in there.

I actually thought Fly From Here was a good attempt at capturing the original spirit of Yes - without Mr Anderson. Better than their latest one for sure, sadly.

Yeah, Magnification is great. With some really strong songs. And indeed mostly it doesn't miss a keyboardist... except perhaps on "In the Presence of", after hearing live versions with Wakeman, that piano intro is really improved with him on keyboards... it would be really great to have an orchestrated version with him on the band. I also did like Fly from here well enough... specially the 3 tracks rescued from the 80's were great, and I believe they should have been used on Drama, and Benoit really showed how beautifully he could sing without having to strain himself trying to reach Anderson's original singing on their live shows. They really should have kept him in the band (as well as Oliver, whom I think was doing a better job - at least live - than Downes).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 21:35
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Always quite liked Tormato. Production was a bit tinny and while there is the odd below par track - most of it holds up well! Not in the same league as even GFTO, but not one to avoid either.

Avoid Union as a whole (great tour though!) but if you can pick out Lift Me Up and The Miracle of Life from it, you have two quality songs amongst the production dross elsewhere. Still love Rick Wakeman's quote - "I call it Onion, because it always makes me cry!"

I actually could do without Tormato... I don't really care about tinny production or whatever... I just don't really like the songs. I do like "Onward", but the version on Keys to Ascension, with the added acoustic guitar intro, is much better. And acutally, I do like "Don't Kill the Whale" too, but once again, I like better the live version at Yesshows, so I don't really need the studio album. As for Union, indeed the album is not great, and the stories about session musicians coming in to do the parts that should have been done by the band are just disappointing, however, I do love "I would have waited forever", "Shock to the System", and "The More we Live, let go", so I really wouldn't do without this album.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 13:36
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I actually could do without Tormato... I don't really care about tinny production or whatever... I just don't really like the songs. I do like "Onward", but the version on Keys to Ascension, with the added acoustic guitar intro, is much better. And acutally, I do like "Don't Kill the Whale" too, but once again, I like better the live version at Yesshows, so I don't really need the studio album. As for Union, indeed the album is not great, and the stories about session musicians coming in to do the parts that should have been done by the band are just disappointing, however, I do love "I would have waited forever", "Shock to the System", and "The More we Live, let go", so I really wouldn't do without this album.

I agree that many of the newer (or comparatively newer) songs do benefit from live embellishments or a different emphasis. I'm a sucker for On the Silent Wings of Freedom though - went straight to that track when I heard the sad news about Chris Squire. Great opening bass line and that church bell later on! 😀

I might have another dive into Union and check out those other songs you mentioned - I remember the first two and a bit of re-evaluation of them after all these years might be worthwhile. Might even go into uncharted waters with a few others - just in case there is the odd pearl I missed all those years back.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 14:37
After GFTO? That would have to be Tormato, woulden'int.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 05:23
I love most Yes albums and especially all their live albums are treasures. Yessongs is epic and so is Live at Montreux and Live Tsongas as well as the latest live albums with concerts from the 70s.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 05:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

DVD wise please check out 'Yes Symphonic' , one of the best prog DVD's there is. 

Absolutely !!!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 08:39
I am so jealous of the person just now discovering Yes. What a beautiful journey.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>