Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 04:15
I don't get it why their first two albums, the ones with Peter Banks get so little appreciation. Even Tormato, the UNEVEN Tormato gets more love. 

Drama is one of my favorite from Yes, the album is worth purchasing just for Machine Messiah alone. 

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 04:39
I like much more their two first albums than Tormato. Specially in Time and a Word theyīve already become that same great band thatīs in the Yes Album and Fragile. But there are really great songs (and really great playing) in first album, for example Beyond and Before, Harold Land and Survival. Their versions of I See You and Every Little Thing are just great. Also "Looking Around" have long been one of my favourite Yes songs.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 07:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Tormato in nowhere near as bad as people like to make out so I wouldn't skip that one at all (juts a couple of 'iffy' tracks Circus Of Heaven  and Madrigal)
Drama is indeed one of Yes best releases. I only like CTTE, Fragile and The Yes Album ahead of it. Relayer has Gates which is better than anything else Yes ever did imo but the other tracks are hard to compare with anything else either.
Not a great fan of 90125 . It's okay but I actually prefer Talk from the Trevor Rabin era.
DVD wise please check out 'Yes Symphonic' , one of the best prog DVD's there is. 

And Symphonic live has the best version of Gates of Delirium

Gate of Delirium tops my list as the best prog rock composition of all time.  Hands down.  None better.  It makes me all bleary-eyed and choked up.  (Wait, maybe that's due to something else...)  Anyway, here's a link to the Symponic Live performance on Daily Motion... http://dai.ly/x2skjn8

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 08:50
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Tormato in nowhere near as bad as people like to make out so I wouldn't skip that one at all (juts a couple of 'iffy' tracks Circus Of Heaven  and Madrigal)
Drama is indeed one of Yes best releases. I only like CTTE, Fragile and The Yes Album ahead of it. Relayer has Gates which is better than anything else Yes ever did imo but the other tracks are hard to compare with anything else either.
Not a great fan of 90125 . It's okay but I actually prefer Talk from the Trevor Rabin era.
DVD wise please check out 'Yes Symphonic' , one of the best prog DVD's there is. 

And Symphonic live has the best version of Gates of Delirium

Gate of Delirium tops my list as the best prog rock composition of all time.  Hands down.  None better.  It makes me all bleary-eyed and choked up.  (Wait, maybe that's due to something else...)  Anyway, here's a link to the Symponic Live performance on Daily Motion... http://dai.ly/x2skjn8

I'm inclined to agree.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 21:24
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I like much more their two first albums than Tormato. Specially in Time and a Word theyīve already become that same great band thatīs in the Yes Album and Fragile. But there are really great songs (and really great playing) in first album, for example Beyond and Before, Harold Land and Survival. Their versions of I See You and Every Little Thing are just great. Also "Looking Around" have long been one of my favourite Yes songs.

I'm not sure if I would say I like the first two albums better than Tormato... but they would be at least at the same level. From the songs with that line-up, the one I like the best, easily, is Harold Land... and yeah, I guess that's enough to make the first album better than Tormato... and indeed Time and a Word might be enough to make the second one better too... though I like that song much better on the Keys to Ascension version.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 23:07
^Never really get into Tormato, I think even Drama is better. Also 90125, Big Generator, Magnification and Fly From Here. If I remeber correct, all those other albums have had mentions here, but not Big Generator. I think itīs really good Yes album, even better than 90125.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 02:01
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I'd go for Yessongs.  I love the live versions of the songs from The Yes Album much better and live Close to the Edge is almost a new song with Alan White on drums Wink

Bit of a health warning on the sound quality, though. Progeny sounds much better to my ears.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 02:03

I'm also a fan of the first album - lovely jazzy prog pop.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 02:23
I've given Tormato so, so so many chances...it just doesn't "click" for me. 

I can listen to Drama and 90125 all day, in comparison (mostly the former though).

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 02:34
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I'd go for Yessongs.  I love the live versions of the songs from The Yes Album much better and live Close to the Edge is almost a new song with Alan White on drums Wink

Bit of a health warning on the sound quality, though. Progeny sounds much better to my ears.
Backwards to me, to my ears Yessongs sounds better than Progeny, I have only vinyls from both. I believe they did something in the studio in Yessongs and Progeny is honestly live, because you hear mistakes there.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 21:34

^Never really get into Tormato, I think even Drama is better. Also 90125, Big Generator, Magnification and Fly From Here. If I remeber correct, all those other albums have had mentions here, but not Big Generator. I think itīs really good Yes album, even better than 90125.

Actually, Tormato must be among the lesser Yes albums for me. I do think Drama is better (it's got Machine Messiah, and that is enough), as well as 20125, Magnification, and Fly from Here. But not Big Generator, for me that one is another of the lesser albums (along with Open you Eyes, The Ladder, and Heaven and Earth).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 22:53
^Why? I think Big Generator is better, more proggier version of 90125.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 02:11
Yes album is the best. Each album gets slightly weaker after that
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 02:16

I share the guy above's opinion; I just can't get into BG for some reason. 90125 always does it just fine, but never BE. I'll need to revisit. Perhaps my ears have evolved? Wink

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 02:25
I like Big Generator, but I don't find it as enjoyable as 90125. 

Final Eyes and I'm Running are worth checking out, love these two songs. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 21:03

In general, I guess the Trevor Rabin era songs are weak... or just not my cup of tea. Except for a few exceptions. And those exceptions happen to be on 90125. It's mostly Owner of a Lonely Heart and Hold On. There's also Cinema. From Big Generator, I do like Shoot High and Holy Lamb, though, and I guess Shoot High is indeed the proggier of the songs from both albums, and Holy Lamb, I guess is not particularly proggy, but I do love the vocals on that one. Still, neither of those songs is quiet as good for me as the ones I like on 90125. Most of the other songs from the Rabin era are mostly pop, and I just get tired of them, even if they are not particularly ugly. Still, vor me, the best song from the Rabin era is Endless Dream... there they went fully into prog mode again.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 21:41
I admit 90125 is more consistent than BG but I prefer BG because it has more of the old yes vibe to it imo(which means among other things more longer tracks). 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 23:11

In general, I guess the Trevor Rabin era songs are weak... or just not my cup of tea. Except for a few exceptions. And those exceptions happen to be on 90125. It's mostly Owner of a Lonely Heart and Hold On. There's also Cinema. From Big Generator, I do like Shoot High and Holy Lamb, though, and I guess Shoot High is indeed the proggier of the songs from both albums, and Holy Lamb, I guess is not particularly proggy, but I do love the vocals on that one. Still, neither of those songs is quiet as good for me as the ones I like on 90125. Most of the other songs from the Rabin era are mostly pop, and I just get tired of them, even if they are not particularly ugly. Still, vor me, the best song from the Rabin era is Endless Dream... there they went fully into prog mode again.
I think you havenīt listened it a long time because Iīm Running is the most prog song of those albums, also has really great melodies. I like really much all the songs in Big Generator, but so in 90125. Like both albums, but Big Generator is little better.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 00:14
I have a special feeling for Time and a Word.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123