FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZombi 1022/17 Oakland CA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zombi 1022/17 Oakland CA
    Posted: October 23 2017 at 20:50
I love the band Zombi - I think they might be one of my all-time favorite bands, because I aspire to make music similar to how they do - a duo with bass guitar, drums, and synths. I have all their albums and several of their individual solo albums, but never saw them live until now. Author & Punisher opened. It was at a place called the Starline Social Club - this was my first time to go. Upstairs there is a medium sized room with a pretty good PA (or at least it sounded good last night). 

I never heard of Author & Punisher before but it was pretty awesome. I thought it was DIY Industrial Steam-Punk Metal - the instruments looked handmade/invented.

Zombi was so good. They gave it their all, playing the music with incredible energy along with the propulsive sequenced lines. Sometimes Steve Moore played keyboards (Moog, Prophet, Korg), sometimes he played bass (Fender Jazz through Ampeg SVT, considerably louder than everything else), sometimes he played both at the same time!

At the end I started shouting "one more song!," other people took it up, Steve Moore sat at the side of the stage and raised three fingers - we got at least three more! I think we actually got four. I was kind of surprised, there weren't that many people there - not more than a hundred, maybe considerably less - but they don't tour very often and I noticed their social media promotion machine didn't seem very active. Kind of bummed about it, but I also got to see a great show that not that many people were able to witness. 

Post Reply Post Reply