Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWonderous Stories - By Jerry Ewing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wonderous Stories - By Jerry Ewing
    Posted: October 25 2017 at 03:59

Prog mag's Jerry Ewing has written a book on the history of prog..

Wonderous Stories: A Journey Through The Landscape Of Progressive Rock - by Jerry Ewing. Deluxe Edition of 600 with foreword by Steve Hackett.

Published by The Flood Gallery and up for pre-order here

Also at Burning Shed and Pledgemusic.com

“Like many fans of progressive music, I have been frustrated by various media portraying the genre as if nothing happened after the 70s glory years. One only has to look at the success of Steven Wilson this year to see that this is patently untrue. So I was always intent, despite the mammoth task of covering 50 plus years of music, that this book brought the story of this inventive and emotional music as up to date as we could.” Jerry Ewing, Author.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 06:14
Sounds interesting, if anyone can write a good book on Prog it should be Jerry, but I think at £50, I'll have to wait for the paperback.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2017 at 16:50
Should be a good read, given Jerry's track record. I've put it on my Christmas list!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
ProgAlia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 07:35
I would buy it
RobDavisProgger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 05:45
FIRST LOOK..

A preview of WONDEROUS STORIES - Deluxe Edition of only 600 - by Jerry Ewing. Published by The Flood Gallery.

Orders shipping worldwide from nowr for pre-Christmas delivery, very limited stock now available.

Jerry Ewing, Editor of ‘Prog’ Magazine tells the in-depth history of Progressive Rock. From the origins of the genre, through the glory years of the late 60s and 70s, to its contemporary resurgence led by, amongst others, Steven Wilsonn and Opeth. The book is introduced with a foreword written by Steve Hackett.

The Deluxe Edition is limited to only 600 copies and includes a bound-in signed and numbered certificate of authenticity, an 8x10" Art Print by the highly regarded album cover artist and photographer Carl Glover (who also designed this book), all presented in a rigid hardboard slipcase.

Only limited stock left, get yours now from..

The Flood Gallery: http://bit.ly/2AbXRIp 

Burning Shed: http://bit.ly/2AcseOP

Pledgmemusic.com: http://bit.ly/2yeXtat 

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 09:29
My wife bought me this for Christmas... the limited edition, signed-by-the-author, one of 600 version.  I must say, I was somewhat disappointed.  It is mostly a picture book.  Lots of images of bands and their album covers, but only about 1/3rd of the book is writing, and that writing is mostly about the history of different bands (how they started, different line-ups, what were their big albums, etc), and a couple of pages describing some of the seminal prog albums (Court, Dark Side, Tarkus, etc) which I can get from Wikipedia.  I was looking for more "insider" information -- interviews, personal observations gleaned from prog musicians about their past and current efforts, etc.  I thought David Weigel's book, "The Show That Never Ends", was much more insightful and interesting (and it only had 8 pages of BW photographs as an insert in the middle of the book)!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 11:33
I waited for the hardback edition of Wonderous Stories by Jerry Ewing - which popped through my door on Sunday. What a great, coffee table book, Just flicking through the pages and seeing the wonderful albums and bands that have been the soundtrack to much of my life, was a lovely feeling.

Is it mainly photographs? Yes - but what an array to meet your eyes. Does the text give me much extra that I don't know already? Not much, but it collects it all together remarkably well and does as good a job as I've seen in putting it all into context and giving it a timeline through to the current era.

Of course Jerry obviously puts his spin on the emphasis and choices - but despite only getting into prog via Fish-era Marillion, he has a wide knowledge and is humble enough to seek advice from others around him. Anyone who is a regular reader of Prog Magazine will not be surprised in Steven Wilson and Hogarth-era Marillion get a few more pages than others and its slight UK bias overall, but he admits it's a personal overview rather than a definitive take on prog. I might not agree with every choice or omission - how Images and Words by Dream Theater didn't get the nod over the debut album, I'm still pondering, and I still wonder if Thick as a Brick might have edged out Aqualung from a prog perspective - but that is what debate is all about.

I'll treasure it as a comfort blanket to dive into when I need to top up with a bit of prog warmth, and provided you take onboard that it won't give you much new insight, it is heartedly recommended even for the most knowledgable prog fans who frequent forums like PA. The foreword by Steve Hackett (bless 'him!) is as eloquent as his musical works.

However, for any youngsters out there just finding out about prog and enjoying the new bands and wanting to visit past glories from the classic era onwards - it is a great introduction and you really won't get a better user-friendly, accessible and well-crafted book for the price. In fact, for the newbies, it might be an essential purchase. Get it in hardback, though - to let it survive the years to come.

Well done, Jerry! Prog on....and on....and on...

Edited by Squonk19 - February 20 2018 at 13:12
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply