FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagma (and Circle) Oct 26, Helsinki, Finland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma (and Circle) Oct 26, Helsinki, Finland
    Posted: October 26 2017 at 07:18
On my way to my first Magma gig (or any French band in fact). I'll share my thoughts tomorrow or so. Kobaiaaaa!!!!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 08:17
Oh man, have a blast, your first ever Magma gig is like seeing the face of god. I still remember the impact of the first time, seen them a bunch of times since, nothing like that first one.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Rasvamakkara View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 08:59
This was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had. Simply wonderful!

First off, Circle were great. I actually had  never seen them live before even though I live here in Finland. From now on I certainly have to go see them whenever I have the chance. I've never really enjoyed their studio albums all that much, but the intensity of the live performance made the music work much better.

But even though Circle were great, Magma were even better. My expectations  had constantly risen over the last couple of months and yesterday I felt like a child waiting for christmas presents - something I haven't felt in some time. Expectations like that could potentially lead to dissappointment, but that certainly didn't happen in this case. I found myself smiling like... a kid on christmas eve...  many times during the show. It was a pleasure to see them put their souls into the music. I was kind of hoping for Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh (or K.A. for that matter), but can't complain about the set the least bit (E-Re, Theusz Hamtaahk and Ehn Deiss). Now I'm just hoping I'll have the chance to see them again at some point. I certainly have to order some of their live recordings as well.

Edited by Rasvamakkara - October 27 2017 at 09:01
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2017 at 01:23
Thanks, Rasvamakkara, for your gig feedback. Seems that every one was totally charmed by Magma. Yes, they certainly are in a league (or a planet!) of their own. I was somewhat less thrilled by the gig. The room was awfully crowded, hardly had any space to move a hand, and only saw glimpses of band members. My feet felt very tired on the halfway, so I went sitting into the sideroom and watched rhe rest from the monitor. Musically the encore piece sounded the most fascinating, but the crowd in that room was making a lot of noise and made it difficult to hear the music properly. Anyway, I haven't got a slightest regret of going there with my friends. We had a jolly time. It's a pity I didn't prepare for seeing Magma by listening to their music on the weeks before the gig. That's because it was at the last hours I decided to go, as one of my facebook friends informed he had one extra ticket.

It's also likely that if I had pushed my way to the frontline where the most enthusiastic one of us friends was, my gig experience would have been gorgeous.
 Post Reply Post Reply