Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oldfield or Vangelis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2017 at 09:38
Hard one. Both are great and differents. Tubular Bell is a classic. I also love Crises and Tubular Bell III,but my heart goes to Vangelis. L'apocalypse des animaux, Opéra Sauvage, Blade Runner or Direct,they are all wonderful and differents. Every albums are unic. I also love what he did with Aphrodite Childs. To me, he is as good on keyboards as Emerson, Wakeman, Wright or Banks.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2017 at 10:15
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I love Oldfield but it's Vangelis, for Heaven And Hell, Albedo 0.39, China and for having touched all the prog subgenres during his career.  

Same with me.
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2017 at 21:53
Mike Oldfield.
lostrom
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 12:06
Never been much a of a fan of either person.....I suppose Oldfield if I had to choose.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 12:18
Oldfield - barely.
Both are top notch.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 12:35
Tough as I love both.

Both were pretty amazing between 1973 and 1984 and hardly put a foot wrong. I can't even guess who was the most brilliant but in terms of personal preference I would probably go with Vangelis just about. After that it does go a bit patchy for both of them. Oldfield had 2 more masterpieces in him (Amarok and Songs Of Distant Earth) while Vangelis I would say managed a definite one in El Greco (not the OST for a film which he also did) and perhaps a debatable one in Voices.

If I had to choose who I would want to listen to every album by, then I would choose Vangelis definitely as Oldfield has plumbs some real depths unfortunately. His forays into pop and rock just don't work for me. As a solo artist Vangelis has managed to avoid that but when he does veer off and collaborate then it goes very well as evidenced by his albums with Jon Anderson and Irene Papas. Oldfield is possibly a bit too much of a control freak and maybe the nearest he had to a proper collaborative work was Crisis with Simon Phillips. I think he might have benefited more from doing more of this.

Edited by richardh - October 30 2017 at 12:35
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 13:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

If I had to choose who I would want to listen to every album by, then I would choose Vangelis definitely

Clap Wow, you surprised me! I thought Oldfield was your preference. 
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 15:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Both were pretty amazing between 1973 and 1984 and hardly put a foot wrong. I can't even guess who was the most brilliant but in terms of personal preference I would probably go with Vangelis just about. After that it does go a bit patchy for both of them. Oldfield had 2 more masterpieces in him (Amarok and Songs Of Distant Earth) while Vangelis I would say managed a definite one in El Greco (not the OST for a film which he also did) and perhaps a debatable one in Voices.

I love Voices; I rank many of his 90s work as among his best, especially 1492,  Oceanic, and Voices. His single Ithaca with Sean Connery's voice from 2004 is a classic, and his newest album Rosetta's really good too:)
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 16:35
Like many here, I enjoy the music of both artists... but my vote goes to Vangelis.  
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2017 at 08:22
As a solo artist, early Oldfield (especially Tubular Bells and Ommadawn), as for collaborative efforts, I prefer Vangelis - Aphrodite's Child and Jon & Vangelis (I love The Friends of Mr.Cairo and Short Stories in particular). Although except for L'Apocalypse, Vangelis solo work leaves me mostly cold. Collaboration of Oldfield and Jon Anderson is interesting too:) In High Places especially is a piece where Anderson has space to shine.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2017 at 09:28
Dark Elf said...Both are hit and miss.

Yep.....never really got all the love for these guys....pretty straight ahead instrumental stuff.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2017 at 12:13
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yep.....never really got all the love for these guys....pretty straight ahead instrumental stuff.

The sounds Vangelis makes with his Yamaha CS80 and other synths are very special. And when he combines it with real instruments, whether flamenco guitar or saxophone, voices, chimes, etc., it's like ear candy:) And he kept the use of sequencers to a minimum, making him a bit unique compared to other synth artists, such as Tangerine Dream. Plus he has real composition skills, his music is quite emotional, and he bucks the trend towards minimalism in electronic music. There's really no one else out there quite like him. For me, everything started with Blade Runner when I was child, and it was a matter of hearing everything else he did.

Edited by jude111 - October 31 2017 at 12:31
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2017 at 12:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Haha, if that were the case, Oldfield's discography would resemble Mannheim Steamroller's, while Vangelis' music would be as sonically invigorating as Ravel's "Boléro."
jonbirion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2017 at 03:45
i would compare vangelis with jeanne michelle jarre .
between the two, oldfield

Edited by jonbirion - November 02 2017 at 03:47
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 06:09

Hard to choose.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 03 2017 at 06:10
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 07:11
Oldfield, he's one of my all time favourite artists.

But then again, I own no Vangelis.  So where should I start?  I do love that duet with Jon Anderson...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 07:20
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Oldfield, he's one of my all time favourite artists.

But then again, I own no Vangelis.  So where should I start?  I do love that duet with Jon Anderson...
With Jon Anderson I suggest "Short Stories" even if it's the less commercial of the 4 released together.
To start with Vangelis my personal favorites are "Heaven and Hell" and "Albedo 0.39", but you can try also "China" and out of the 70s I'd say "The City" and "Direct". 

Then if you have some bucks to spend, the boxset for the 25th anniversary of "Blade Runner" features also Demis Rousseau.

Personally I like also the two albums with the actress Irene Papas, but they aren't easy to find. I purchased them in a little shop in Crete at the beginning of the 90s.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 07:29
Hi,

Sad to see a thread like this ... it's like asking ... Beethoven or Tchaikovsky ... and/or ... left handed or right handed?

There is no proper answer, other than personal favorites.

But one can say at least one thing for them ... they have an Oscar in their closet, and will be remembered far and very far into time and history of music, for their achievements, instead of their top ten content.

MO has a more recognizable sound or rock and pop music, but in the end, Vangelis is more classical music sounding than MO ever is/was, whose compositions tend to be more riff oriented than they are musically defined and inclined as Vangelis composes them. So, in this sense, Vangelis makes more sense, however, for a top ten oriented group, like this thread's folks, the likelihood is that MO will get the nod, because the larger appreciation for classical music and its history, simply is not as visible here, to be able to place these two in their proper context. 

Both deserve to be there, and are in my book, 2 of the greatest modern composers of the 20th century ... but PA is not a group that likes to open up that discussion some more like I do. I kinda think that the only other composer in the 20th century that stands up to both of them is Igor Stravinsky, but there are many others that also deserve to be mentioned in that century, although the stuff that is most readily remembered is usually related to the popular field, and not to the more "artsy" group of things that are considered "composition" and/or "classical".
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 07:31
Hooo! This is a post i like!

I may own (or have, before selling back the dudes...) all of them both. Overall this would be Vangelis. Some had mentioned Songs of distant earth to which i would add Voyager  as an ardent celtic music lover, as the only valuable album for M.O. during a lapse of time of nearly twenty years. Music of the Spheres broke that loosing streak for me. And Return to Ommadawn while not the masterpiece many ackowledge is still on par with the Robert Reed's tribute which for me is the best way to compare it. I stiil buy everything under his name though, and always think it could be gold... Down to light deception most of the time for 30 years then.

Vangelis had, on the other end almost consistently reinvented himself. Anyone for "Earth"? This is the missing link between Aphrodite's child "666' and l"Apocalypse des animaux. I actually enjoy bits and pieces of his 70's electronic work. A good "Best of" with clever choice  selections is enough for me. But from Blade Runner up to Oceanic he could'nt go wrong in my appreciation. Soil Festivities, Direct, 1492 evidently were all intensely satisfying. Actually i make playlist of Vangelis music, One balladic one, one epic, "pump and fanfare" one, a choral one, and so on . As Jon and Vangelis, i considered them guilty pleasure. And the Blade Runner box set is entrancing. Last word is about Rosetta: funnily i would put it on par with Return to Ommadawn: nowhere near a peak but a way to summarize and say hello to the mass of ardent followers. If only Ex Genesis members could feel the same!
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 07:59
Oldfield is one of my favorite artists.  Vangelis is an artist whom I generally like when I hear him, but have never been inspired to listen in depth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>