Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oldfield or Vangelis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 08:50
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Dark Elf said...Both are hit and miss.

Yep.....never really got all the love for these guys....pretty straight ahead instrumental stuff.

Haha, if that were the case, Oldfield's discography would resemble Mannheim Steamroller's, while Vangelis' music would be as sonically invigorating as Ravel's "Boléro."

Seems to me that Ravel is a HUGE influence in prog. Apart of that your thoughts are pretty much mine. One can't define Vangelis by Chariots of fire, nor Oldfield by Family man...
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 16:28
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Oldfield, he's one of my all time favourite artists.

But then again, I own no Vangelis.  So where should I start?  I do love that duet with Jon Anderson...
With Jon Anderson I suggest "Short Stories" even if it's the less commercial of the 4 released together.
To start with Vangelis my personal favorites are "Heaven and Hell" and "Albedo 0.39", but you can try also "China" and out of the 70s I'd say "The City" and "Direct". 

Then if you have some bucks to spend, the boxset for the 25th anniversary of "Blade Runner" features also Demis Rousseau.

Personally I like also the two albums with the actress Irene Papas, but they aren't easy to find. I purchased them in a little shop in Crete at the beginning of the 90s.

They were reissued not long ago so shouldn't be that hard to find. Odes is probably a bit better than Rhapsodies but both are worth having indeed.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 18:52
Vangelis because he grew and morphed more--and because he produced some absolutely gorgeous, "unique" stuff. After Incantations, everything by Oldfield sounds the same to me.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 11:28
Both are so great, but I connect more with Vangelis by a long shot. :)

Vangelis is a very important musical figure to me.
Have tons of his works. Love them all too. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 13:05
I'm going to try and re-listen to some Vangelis and Oldfield over the winter months....I have several Vangelis and Oldfield on lp and and one or two on cd. Maybe I can develop an interest in them. I did like Dragon by Vangelis when I played it on you tube and I did listen to Albedo when it came out many years back and of course I have heard Tubular Bells and Ommadawn several times over the years but neither artist seem to hold my interest for very long. But I have never been a big fan of electronic oriented solo artists to begin with.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 14:28
Originally posted by bertolino bertolino wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Dark Elf said...Both are hit and miss.

Yep.....never really got all the love for these guys....pretty straight ahead instrumental stuff.

Haha, if that were the case, Oldfield's discography would resemble Mannheim Steamroller's, while Vangelis' music would be as sonically invigorating as Ravel's "Boléro."

Seems to me that Ravel is a HUGE influence in prog. Apart of that your thoughts are pretty much mine. One can't define Vangelis by Chariots of fire, nor Oldfield by Family man...

Exactly. Earth, Albedo 0.39,  Beauborg, Opera Sauvage, Mask, Direct and Rosetta were all recorded by the same guy. Each sounds like a different entity altogether. 
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 16:32

I'm going to try and re-listen to some Vangelis and Oldfield over the winter months....I have several Vangelis and Oldfield on lp and and one or two on cd. Maybe I can develop an interest in them. I did like Dragon by Vangelis when I played it on you tube and I did listen to Albedo when it came out many years back and of course I have heard Tubular Bells and Ommadawn several times over the years but neither artist seem to hold my interest for very long. But I have never been a big fan of electronic oriented solo artists to begin with.

Thats nice man. Both Vangelis and Oldfield create mood pieces mainly.
You really just have to be in the mood for what they create.
I honestly think neither artist create casual listens for my Benefit.
Maybe you fell the same.
Enjoy nonetheless. Sublime soundscapes. Nuff said. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2017 at 14:26
How about The Outfield or Vangelis?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2017 at 14:42
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

How about The Outfield or Vangelis?

Vangelis, fer shure.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2017 at 14:45
Vangelis, including 666 with Aphrodite's childs
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 10:12
Vangelis, for Albedo and others

Oldfield's hit Tubular Bells is too long and repetitive, if not the soundtrack to the Exorcist it wouldn't have attained a high level of fame 

Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 10:14
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Vangelis, including 666 with Aphrodite's childs

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 17:06
Originally posted by Blaqua Blaqua wrote:

Vangelis, for Albedo and others

Oldfield's hit Tubular Bells is too long and repetitive, if not the soundtrack to the Exorcist it wouldn't have attained a high level of fame 

Is that right? My limited knowledge on the subject is that TB was championed by the respected British DJ John Peel and then snowballed from there. The Exorcist didn't do it any harm though that's for sure!
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 17:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Is that right? My limited knowledge on the subject is that TB was championed by the respected British DJ John Peel and then snowballed from there. The Exorcist didn't do it any harm though that's for sure!
It was actually released months before the movie and was perhaps made widely known in the UK by John Peel. In any case my main complaint is that despite its shocking length it has no variety and gets boring fast. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 18:12
Well, I do think Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn both improve on the formula, but I enjoy Tubular Bells just the same.
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 03:44
Never been particularly into either, but my disinterest in Vangelis is pretty formidable, whereas I suspect I could acquire a taste for Oldfield if I tried.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 06:44
Originally posted by Braka Braka wrote:

Never been particularly into either, but my disinterest in Vangelis is pretty formidable, whereas I suspect I could acquire a taste for Oldfield if I tried.
Vangelis has done many different things. Depending on what you usually like listening to, I'm sure I can find at least one album suitable for your tastes. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 01:13
How much you want to bet? :)  (unfair, because I could simply say I disliked it and keep the money)

However I recently got to wondering whether I'd been unfair to Vangelis, and looked up the album which allmusic rated his best (yes, allmusic often seem to pick weird albums as 'bests', but still) - and within a few minutes I felt just the same as I had when it came out.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 01:25
Just mention a band/artist that you like.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 03:10
Vangelis.

There is a song on Short Stories with Jon Anderson called I Hear You Now.

Talk about guilty pleasures. No electronic music I have ever heard swings as sweetly, and few things have ever highlighted the beauty of Jon's voice as well, especially outside of Yes.

For this alone, Vangelis.

(though there are many other reasons)

Edited by Frankh - December 23 2017 at 03:13
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>