Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Graphing the PA Top 250

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Zugzwang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graphing the PA Top 250
    Posted: October 27 2017 at 12:30
Back in March, I recorded the top 250 albums on Progarchives in Google Sheets to mess about with various graphs. I stumbled across my spreadsheet earlier this week and figured some of you might be interested. For full sized images, the album is here: https://imgur.com/a/z0GXj
Raw data (as comma-separated values) is here: http:///pastebin.com/kVczKXaN

First: A line graph of each year compared to both number of albums for that year and number of ratings for that year. The red line represents the top 25 albums, the blue line represents the top 250 albums.

As I'm sure everyone here could guess, there's a large spike in the early seventies. The spike is even larger when measured by number ratings instead of album count. The earliest album is Miles Davis' Kind of Blue (1959), the latest is Mike Oldfield's Return to Ommadawn (2017) which is now no longer in the top 250.

Second: A stacked area chart of country representation.

As you can see, the first non-British album to show up is Canadian (Rush's Moving Pictures). The United States has a slow start, but grows to be almost as large as the UK. Italy, of course, maintains a respectable size throughout.

Third: QWR rating, compared to both album rank and by number of ratings

There's a pretty large divide between the top 5-10 albums and everything afterwards. As the first graph shows, QWR rating starts to level out a bit more after the top 50. As the second graph shows, the highest rated albums tend to also have more ratings. Lower dots show albums that are rated higher than their number of ratings would imply, higher dots show the opposite. I annotated the graph with some album covers to demonstrate:

Fourth: A world map, colored by density of albums in the top 250 (darker color = more albums):

Finally: A genre pie chart, measured by both number of albums and number of ratings.

The more popular genres have larger slices in the second graph than in the first. For example, Symphonic prog goes from 15.6% of the number of albums in the top 250 to 24.1% of the number of ratings of top 250 albums. RIO/Avant, Zeuhl, and Fusion both drop in half.

That's all nothing too surprising, but I figured there are some other data nerds on this forum who'd appreciate this. Smile

Edited by Zugzwang - October 27 2017 at 12:45
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 12:36
Nice! Thank you for this Thumbs Up
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 12:47
Great job and fun to read.  Looks like '82, '86, '90 & 2010 were pretty slow years Wink
Quinino View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 15:08
Thanks, Bryson, good job !
I once did professional statistical work and simply adore graphic treatment of data, this was a real treat for me Geek
" I will not tolerate any more Errors or Omissions - Understood ? " - Dirty Harry
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 17:26
Wonderful stuff! The kind of thing I loved doing when I was in Research and Development, but now I'm a Physics teacher - I don't have the time!

What stands out for me is - what a great decade the 70s was for our music! Also what a dark age period the 90s were for us, and how nice to see the prog resurgence from the start of the Millennium onwards.

Were we all young and vibrant in the 70s, got married with kids and got a mortgage in the 90s and did we refind our mojo with prog again in the last decade or so? .... or did the new breed of musicians revitalise us! Hopefully the latter.

Edited by Squonk19 - October 27 2017 at 17:28
"And the man in the mirror has sad eyes..."
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 03:19
great jobClap...

Kind of surprised Finland doesn't rate higherConfused

BTW, on your world map, you may want to colour the Spitzberg Islands (east of Greenland) the same colour as Norway, since they're part of it.

Do you think your stats could be expandeed to the top 1000?
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 10:25
I'm interested to see what graphing individual PA members' favorite album lists would look like. Maybe even do a regression analysis to determine the signficance of average rating and # of ratings on list placement, although obviously it'd differ with each individual. Besides, it'd be interesting to see the distribution of years and nationalities on a given list, including my own. I'd probably use RateYourMusic over Progarchives though.

And they said prog fans couldn't get any more self-absorbedly nerdy. We're literally graphing our favorite music now...
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 14:29
  "Tales of Graphical Devotion" 
Masterpiece of information Dude!  Bravo!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 14:39
I found the ratings per year chart disturbing as it pertains to Prog Archives.   Downhill from 2013, even though the last few years have been banner years for prog albums.

Could it be that the " ratings per year" chart suggests Prog Archives is dying?   

Before anyone assumes I jumped to an insane conclusion ,  I did say "suggests".  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic