Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you try to hide the fact that you like prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you try to hide the fact that you like prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Do you try to hide the fact that you like prog with friends or others?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.33%]
69 [80.23%]
1 [1.16%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
14 [16.28%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 03:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^ You know I never thought of it that way before but it's possible that the music critics are somehow labeling(and identifying with) punks as being underdogs and see prog musicians as elitists(musicians who went to art school or have more money or whatever). Interesting point. I also always thought that many journalists were jealous of prog because they never had the discipline to be musicians themselves and liked punk because it was music they could play if they wanted to. 

And it could be both of these things. Some combination thereof, of all of the above.
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 04:13
The joy of success was hearing my son playing Roundabout (Yes) and I Turned You Down (Riverside) on his bass and arguing with his friends that Marillion are better than Genesis.

One more resistance fighter for the cause.

Edited by Hercules - November 01 2017 at 04:16
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 06:04
The majority of peeps just like music for dancing to and at parties etc. The background tosh that is mainstream pop-music - or in the modern-era is pumped into their brains via the X-Factor! I am sometimes called a music-snob by my friends who still listen to (seventies pop mostly) their fairly narrow musical experience of youth.
No 1 son is into - big-band music and Buble and sinatra - so I'm assuming the alleles that made his brain come from his mums genome - whereas No 2 son loves Opeth / Steve Wilson / Pain of salvation / Riverside and quite a lot of my newer CD's (he's not too keen on older prog - but I think he may grow into that!) so he got my Alleles then.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 08:13
Photos of my office - you decide Smile

He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 08:36
I feel great shame. My love for Prog has made me a pariah in my own home.
The shame of it all!!!
And I blame: Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford, Peter Gabriel, Greg Lake, Keith Emerson, Robert Fripp, Ian Anderson, Geddy Lee, Roger Waters, Tony Banks and Phil Collins.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 12:31
I look at it like " If they don't get it, that's on them, not me"
I find a lot of casual music fan tend to take the path of least resistance.
That's why God invented Justin Beiber!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 13:56
The best rock music ever made should be spread around
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 15:25
No, but I get the feeling that inside, people are laughing at me. My two kids laugh out loud.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 15:42
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

No, but I get the feeling that inside, people are laughing at me. My two kids laugh out loud.

In 50 years they will see how stupid they were
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 15:48
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

LOL
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2017 at 15:29
I go out of my way to play prog to everyone. I play magma loud in the office. I even got everyone singing banco lol
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2017 at 17:14
Even my wife doesn't know. I keep the prog CDs in a hiding place under the floorboards and only bring them out when I know she'll be out of the house for several hours. 

If anyone found out I'd have to kill myself.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2017 at 18:45
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I think it's also that prog's sort of the awkward middle child of music... it's too highbrow for the sex, drugs and rock and roll purist, and too lowbrow to fit in with nice, academic classical or jazz music. It's very easy to pick an extreme and attack it from either side.
That's probably the closest description to why I like it so much. 
-John
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2017 at 18:56
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I go out of my way to play prog to everyone. I play magma loud in the office. I even got everyone singing banco lol

Let me guess. You get them singing that two minute long song that's on one of their mid seventies albums(I forget the name of the song). Smile
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 01:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Let me guess. You get them singing that two minute long song that's on one of their mid seventies albums(I forget the name of the song). Smile

It was canto di primavera. I printed the lyrics for them lol
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 02:34
Only very rarely will I tell others specifically that I like prog, and that's when I assume the person I'm talking to actually knows what it is, like online, in record stores or at concerts, but otherwise I'd like to stick to 'obscure music', 'weird sh*t' or 'you wouldn't know any of it', because I've mostly given up hope that another adult will benefit from being from hearing a long monologue about some niche genre. When I have visitors I'll occasionally play some prog but I'll primarily look for something that'll sort of fit the mood and/or their tastes... It's not really shame, it's just you generally just don't suddenly get people into prog, and also that, contrary to a bunch of other more obscure genres, people can easily gradually introduce themselves to prog to hearing loads of succesful bands with varying degrees of proggyness in classic rock, metal or alt rock. On the contrary I have tried to introduce some friends to ambient, ragas, neo-psych, non-pop punk and more obscure corners of techno and hip hop because those often require a bit of a leap to check out in the first place.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 07:08
Before I retired, I'd listen to music on a small stereo in my office.  Often that was prog, even on occasion Art Zoyd or Magma, who had the interesting side effect of making some people reluctant to come in.  Sometimes I'd listen to 20th Century classical or post-bop jazz.  I also made no secret of the fact that I prefer non-US movies, especially French movies, and rotated framed posters, lobby cards and even one sheets for different French movies on my office walls.  I made no secret of my political views, hanging posters for causes and candidates on my office door.  I wore ties with images from various surrealist painters.  I was open about my atheism and my excessively morbid sense of humor.  I had an 18 inch tall statue of the Xenomorph from Alien (with working inner jaws) on my desk (one of my nicknames was "The Alien").  "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." to quote that great philosopher Popeye the Sailor Man.  Why would I worry about loving prog?
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 09:04
No.  I lived enough shame through my early days of comic book collecting.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 18:07
No, i don't hide it. Why hide something you love? Leaving music aside, I adore modern eurogames as well (Puerto Rico, Caylus, Tzolkin, Agricola, etc.) and a lot of other weird things =P
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
peregrino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2017 at 18:11
I've gotten laid thanks to prog bands, believe it or not!
But yeah, prog is nothing to be ashamed of. Socks and sandals, on the other hand...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>