Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you try to hide the fact that you like prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you try to hide the fact that you like prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Do you try to hide the fact that you like prog with friends or others?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.33%]
69 [80.23%]
1 [1.16%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
14 [16.28%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 05:13
I tried to hide the fact that I loved Saturday Night Fever... but I can't anymore.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 05:17
So what's classic rock anyway? Bands like Simon And Garfunkel, ACDC, America and Black Sabbath right? How do you play ii a classic rock style?

People only think they know what they are talking about if they parrot stuff they read and hear (media spin). Prog is well off the radar of the public at large.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 06:17
I donīt hide anything in music. I donīt understand guilty pleasure term at all. I like what I like.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 06:44
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

But I think the most popular times of prog here in Finland was in the end of nineties and begin of 2000. You know prog really wasnīt that big thing in Finland at seventies as it was in UK.

That's interesting to learn! I had figured that with all the great seventies bands from Finland the progressive thing must have been pretty big there. Maybe more of a big cult?

Edited by Mascodagama - February 07 2018 at 06:45
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 08:05
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

But I think the most popular times of prog here in Finland was in the end of nineties and begin of 2000. You know prog really wasnīt that big thing in Finland at seventies as it was in UK.

That's interesting to learn! I had figured that with all the great seventies bands from Finland the progressive thing must have been pretty big there. Maybe more of a big cult?
Well, I think Wigwam and Tasavallan Presidentti have a little, but very excited fanbase. Others really havenīt got fans and also gigs, so thatīs was the reason, why many bands just made one album. I think for example Haikaraīs Vesa Lattunen would have creativity a lot more than just those five albums they made, but here just wasnīt a big interest to Haikara. The main reason why Iso Lintu is so different than those two first albums is that they try to make it more commercial (but failed). Lattunen just had to do something else that compose great music for his living. Also, I think that will give you picture how famous prog was seventies here, that only Wigwam got one gold album, from "Nuclear Nightclub". Also I think Wigwam would have ended earlier if they hadnīt got that Virgin deal and gigs from UK and other European countries.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 08:30

Itīs still not very cool to like prog in certain music listeners groups. Also, in the end of seventies and begin of eighties no-one in the record companies and music magazines didnīt want to hear anything about prog. They think it was so out of date that time.

In the UK this carried on throughout the eighties and into the nineties. Saying you liked prog wild get you looked at with pitying scorn at best, and in certain 'hip' circles it would have been the next thing to admitting you were into necrophilia. Actually in some of those circles it may have been viewed as worse  

And this is a worldview that is still held by many fiftysomething and sixtysomething British trendies - greying now but still possessed of their youthful certainties - for whom “I hate prog” is one of the eternal verities.
In Finland prog achieved a little popularity again already in the end of eighties. Wigwam had reunion and got quite much people in itīs gigs. But I think the most popular times of prog here in Finland was in the end of nineties and begin of 2000. You know prog really wasnīt that big thing in Finland at seventies as it was in UK.

This alway baffled me: average people with no musical taste, sense, or skill insisting stuff like Yes, Genesis, etc is "gay music" (I've actually had people tell me this). Meanwhile they don't bother to digest anything outside of pop/country/top 40 stuff.

Take it with a grain of salt. I blast people over how sh*t bands are today compared to the amazing 1970's lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 13:19
Once upon a time, you’d get bashed if you said you like Devo or Kajagoogoo.
If you mentioned Van der Graaf Generator or Hawkwind, you’d just get weird looks.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 13:23
What's prog?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 14:43
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

What's prog?

I have no idea. I think it's a made up word.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 14:49
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

What's prog?

I think they're these things:

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 16:03

Well, I think Wigwam and Tasavallan Presidentti have a little, but very excited fanbase. Others really havenīt got fans and also gigs, so thatīs was the reason, why many bands just made one album. I think for example Haikaraīs Vesa Lattunen would have creativity a lot more than just those five albums they made, but here just wasnīt a big interest to Haikara. The main reason why Iso Lintu is so different than those two first albums is that they try to make it more commercial (but failed). Lattunen just had to do something else that compose great music for his living. Also, I think that will give you picture how famous prog was seventies here, that only Wigwam got one gold album, from "Nuclear Nightclub". Also I think Wigwam would have ended earlier if they hadnīt got that Virgin deal and gigs from UK and other European countries.
Such a shame, there were so many great talents and it seems they got little appreciation in their home country. Still I am thankful for the records we got - but it's tantalising to think there may have been many more if the artists had a little more commercial success Ouch.  

Nuclear Nightclub is not a favourite of mine at all. I guess I can see why it was popular, but without Pohjola and Gustavson it wasn't the same.

Thanks for sharing.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 16:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

If you mentioned Van der Graaf Generator or Hawkwind, you’d just get weird looks.
As the curious eavesdropper decried, "What have you got against Devo, fella?"
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 16:12
I almost never mention the word 'prog' irl. People who know me well would just think, "oh here he goes again with one of his silly obsessions to get attention" if I start going around using that word, I know it. A lot of them know I like Yes, and Genesis, and Kiss, and Wishbone Ash, and T Rex, and Steely Dan, and Humble Pie, but I don't label it as anything. Those are just artists that people know I like to listen to. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 17:51
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

As the curious eavesdropper decried, "What have you got against Devo, fella?"
Indeed !! I can understand it with Kaja, but Devo ?? Anyone who doesn’t like Devo should get bashed
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 17:52
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I tried to hide the fact that I loved Saturday Night Fever... but I can't anymore.

It is a masterpiece isn't it

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 18:45
How does this thread still get postings?
Oh, it just got one more.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 22:13
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

This alway baffled me: average people with no musical taste, sense, or skill insisting stuff like Yes, Genesis, etc is "gay music" (I've actually had people tell me this). Meanwhile they don't bother to digest anything outside of pop/country/top 40 stuff.

Take it with a grain of salt. I blast people over how sh*t bands are today compared to the amazing 1970's lol.
Smile. Really funny. Well maybe theyīve seen Gabriel performing in the seventies and think "he must be gay". Never anybody said to me why you listened that gay music. Also, todayīs Finland no problem to say to be a proglistener, itīs just that most donīt understand what it is.

Some of my friends who know what prog is just say they just donīt understand it. I think itīs quite same me with hip hop, itīs just donīt hit me.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 22:20

Such a shame, there were so many great talents and it seems they got little appreciation in their home country. Still I am thankful for the records we got - but it's tantalising to think there may have been many more if the artists had a little more commercial success Ouch.  

Nuclear Nightclub is not a favourite of mine at all. I guess I can see why it was popular, but without Pohjola and Gustavson it wasn't the same.

Thanks for sharing.
Fairyport is my favourite, but "Freddie Are You Ready" was the first Wigwam piece that really hit me. First Wigwam album I bought was Being and it really took a while when I understand how genius album it is. Can you imagine they have filmed that classic "Österberg-Pohjola-Gustavson" playing in Finnish television, but cleared up all the films, just because the film was so expensive that time? Now we donīt have any film about that Wigwam lineup. I am really glad, there still exists that one piece from seventies Haikara.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 03:35
No. I try to promote prog to some degree. Most people I come across don't know what it is when I bring it up in conversation. 
Z
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 08:52
hide? from who pray tell.... god I love these adolescent poll questions.  No wonder the mama's basement sterotype of prog fan persists...

a more interesting question for this forum would be

do you try to hide the fact you dislike prog 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>