8 [17.39%]
8 [17.39%]
30 [65.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 17:23
^Right on. Saga and King's X need your votes people! But.. if IQ does win then I'll try to force myself to get into them I guess. I liked Dark Matter but I've listened to a few of their albums since then and just wasn't feelin it on any of them. But looks like I'll have to try again lol. 

Come on King's X and Saga!! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 17:34
Here's a song from King's X that should have been on the radio constantly. Someone dropped the ball big time on this one.. 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 21:52
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

^Right on. Saga and King's X need your votes people! But.. if IQ does win then I'll try to force myself to get into them I guess. I liked Dark Matter but I've listened to a few of their albums since then and just wasn't feelin it on any of them. But looks like I'll have to try again lol. 

Come on King's X and Saga!! 

OK, if you really don't like IQ so much, I'll help you stick with that despite them winning this poll so easily. Just in case you hadn't noticed, the concept of their album "The Road of Bones" (which is the only one I have heard from them, but really liked a lot) is about a serial killer. If you pay attention to the lyrics, you'll find all the disturbed things on the mind of the "protagonist"... and I guess you won't like those lyrics.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 23:55
When you listen to IQ - you hear echoes of Camel, Genesis , Yes and Floyd - Harvest of Souls - is a brilliant post-genesis suppers ready effort - I listened to Dark Matter on Friday last - superb CD.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 05:16
IQ without a doubt, but King's X were one of my favourite bands of the late '80s/early '90s.  Their first 4 albums are stunning.  Saga I don't know...
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 17:36
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

OK, if you really don't like IQ so much, I'll help you stick with that despite them winning this poll so easily. Just in case you hadn't noticed, the concept of their album "The Road of Bones" (which is the only one I have heard from them, but really liked a lot) is about a serial killer. If you pay attention to the lyrics, you'll find all the disturbed things on the mind of the "protagonist"... and I guess you won't like those lyrics.

Ok, thanks for the heads up man. Btw I finally listened to The Whirlwind by Transatlantic. It was actually really good. Then I started listening to some Spock's Beard and was really liking that as well(seems like a band I could get into). 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 21:03

Ok, thanks for the heads up man. Btw I finally listened to The Whirlwind by Transatlantic. It was actually really good. Then I started listening to some Spock's Beard and was really liking that as well(seems like a band I could get into). 

I'm glad you liked that one, and that it got you interested in a band you might like. I actually haven't gotten into Spocks Beard, and in general I'm not sure how much I would really enjoy them, but I guess I'll be giving them chances from time to time. If you are will be checking out things on that direction, you might just as well want to check out some Neal Morse solo too (I believe that's where he has done his most christian lyrics). And I guess The Flower Kings may appeal to you too (another band I'm actually still in need to check out better). And one last thing, though somewhat off-topic, if you are interested in some more christian stuff, Rick Wakeman has a few albums on those topics: "The Gospels" (or "the New Gospels", I think that one is the revised version) and "Can you Hear me?". The Gospels is very relaxed, with only New Agey keyboards, a tenor singer, and choirs... and lots of narration (which sort of puts me off). For me "Can you Hear me?" is better... just some prog rock with lot's of keyboards and choirs too...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 21:06
Yeah I gotta give it to K'sX or the great Saga.   Dark Matter was disappointing.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 22:11

I'm glad you liked that one, and that it got you interested in a band you might like. I actually haven't gotten into Spocks Beard, and in general I'm not sure how much I would really enjoy them, but I guess I'll be giving them chances from time to time. If you are will be checking out things on that direction, you might just as well want to check out some Neal Morse solo too (I believe that's where he has done his most christian lyrics). And I guess The Flower Kings may appeal to you too (another band I'm actually still in need to check out better). And one last thing, though somewhat off-topic, if you are interested in some more christian stuff, Rick Wakeman has a few albums on those topics: "The Gospels" (or "the New Gospels", I think that one is the revised version) and "Can you Hear me?". The Gospels is very relaxed, with only New Agey keyboards, a tenor singer, and choirs... and lots of narration (which sort of puts me off). For me "Can you Hear me?" is better... just some prog rock with lot's of keyboards and choirs too...

My man your suggestions are pretty much always good,  so I'll have to check out some solo Neal Morse for sure(I definitely am liking Spock's Beard so far). And I'll check out this Flower Kings deal as well. And anything with my man Wakeman I can't imagine me not liking. So thanks again for all the suggestions. A lot of new stuff for me to try out here lol(but sounds like it should be good).  
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 22:14
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Yeah I gotta give it to K'sX or the great Saga.   Dark Matter was disappointing.

That's actually the one album by them that I did like lol. But yeah, absolutely King's X and Saga all the way. Right on. 
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 11:54
IQ!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 17:38

My man your suggestions are pretty much always good,  so I'll have to check out some solo Neal Morse for sure(I definitely am liking Spock's Beard so far). And I'll check out this Flower Kings deal as well. And anything with my man Wakeman I can't imagine me not liking. So thanks again for all the suggestions. A lot of new stuff for me to try out here lol(but sounds like it should be good).  

I have been around here long enough that sometimes I can give suggestions of artists I don't really know and hit it right... it wouldn't be the first time    It was mostly because of the concepts with Neal Morse, and an idea I have about their music, even if I'm not really sure how much I could find from them that I would like. There was another time I suggested Magma to a friend of my wife who was into a lot of metal, really heavy and grunty metal, and she showed me a bit of the new stuff he was into, some rather weird stuff no longer necessarily metal. The thing is I had barely heard a few Magma songs and hadn't actually gotten into them, but he was supposed to have liked it a lot. I checked again a few of the songs and thought that I might grow to like them... at least a few songs... but I haven't really gone into trying them out.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 21:55

I have been around here long enough that sometimes I can give suggestions of artists I don't really know and hit it right... it wouldn't be the first time    It was mostly because of the concepts with Neal Morse, and an idea I have about their music, even if I'm not really sure how much I could find from them that I would like. There was another time I suggested Magma to a friend of my wife who was into a lot of metal, really heavy and grunty metal, and she showed me a bit of the new stuff he was into, some rather weird stuff no longer necessarily metal. The thing is I had barely heard a few Magma songs and hadn't actually gotten into them, but he was supposed to have liked it a lot. I checked again a few of the songs and thought that I might grow to like them... at least a few songs... but I haven't really gone into trying them out.

Yeah Spock's Beard was right on. It sounds good and a lot of it has a good Christian message(like you had said would be true with the lead singer). As far as Magma, I obviously don't agree with the lead guy's views.. if they even are his views(I haven't seen anything yet with him either confirming or denying them). But, if you meditate at all, the rhythmic chanting on MDK works so well. For inducing a trance like state, I really don't know of any better record. But no, *snaps out of it* I've found good Christian music now(thanks to you) in Spock's Beard and Neal Morse and I'm going to keep listening to it. :)
ProgAlia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 09:12
Thumbs Up
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 21:36

Yeah Spock's Beard was right on. It sounds good and a lot of it has a good Christian message(like you had said would be true with the lead singer). As far as Magma, I obviously don't agree with the lead guy's views.. if they even are his views(I haven't seen anything yet with him either confirming or denying them). But, if you meditate at all, the rhythmic chanting on MDK works so well. For inducing a trance like state, I really don't know of any better record. But no, *snaps out of it* I've found good Christian music now(thanks to you) in Spock's Beard and Neal Morse and I'm going to keep listening to it. :)

For rhytmic chanting... well, not chantinc, but rather hypnotic repetitive music, perhaps Corvus Corax would work. Not prog at all, rather medival bag-pipe music. But perhaps it's not the state of mind you would want to reach. You might rather imagine yourself in a medival pagan ritual, instead of a christian high state of mind.
Big Swifty View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 02:35
IQ all day.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 18:25

For rhytmic chanting... well, not chantinc, but rather hypnotic repetitive music, perhaps Corvus Corax would work. Not prog at all, rather medival bag-pipe music. But perhaps it's not the state of mind you would want to reach. You might rather imagine yourself in a medival pagan ritual, instead of a christian high state of mind.

Haha yeah. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 18:31
Originally posted by ProgAlia ProgAlia wrote:

Thumbs Up

Welcome Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 12:49
IQ