Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLongest gap between listenings?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longest gap between listenings?
    Posted: November 06 2017 at 05:48
On Friday night I spun a CD which I had purchased sometime last year. This was a double CD release of 1974 - Spyglass Guest and 1975 -Time and Tide (Greenslade) - I listened and a few of the tracks I immediately recognised (the better tracks like "Siam Seasaw" and "Joie de Vivre" and "Catalan" and "The Ass's Ears" - then I realised the last time I had heard these - was the vinyl versions circa 1983/84. I was amazed that some of the music was immediately recognised - in my mind's eye I could hear what was coming next so to speak....
33 years later.....This is going to happen to me a lot as I am now going to embark on an early seventies vinyl replacement spree (as well as exploring stuff I have missed).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2017 at 06:55
I have no idea what my longest gap is ...but I have been meaning to buy that double Greenslade disc for sometime now. I have the vinyl but can't seem to play them on the way to work in my car,

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2017 at 06:59
44 years and counting, I guess...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2017 at 07:56
For me it might be Brain Salad Surgery, by ELP, I just heard it last week, and made me realized how long it had been since the last time I gave it a spin; over 25 years. Another could be The Yes Album, though I heard some of the songs, it's been quite a while since I heard the whole record.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2017 at 08:10
I'm guessing Rainbow - Rising, I've never owned it on CD so probably last played it when I played vinyl back in the mid 80's. Rebought it last year as a download.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2017 at 10:02
I haven't decided; it's either 23 seconds or 155,235 years.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2017 at 10:22
A couple from my pre-Prog days: Bachman-Turner-Overdrive II and You Get What You Play For by R.E.O. Speedwagon.  36 years.  I sold my vinyl records of them in 1981, regretted it within months, and only replaced them on CD this year.  There is some Prog in my collection, too many to count or even remember, that sat between five and ten years without a listen.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2017 at 15:12
RIO/Avant Cow - UZ - Art Zoyd etc

Listened to these bands for a couple of years and enjoyed them but never really returned to the genre...someday maybe.

That was 15 years ago.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2017 at 16:04
I really don't remember...   I'm a  54 years old, since 1974 my passion for music  mainly classical and rock ( specially prog rock ) , makes me start my collection and research ... so... I've a very large collection , maybe due this fact I already "forgot" for long time some pearls, as for instance "The Yes album", "A Farewell To Kings", "In a Glass House", "Trilogy"... maybe for 5 years !!!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2017 at 05:31
Normally, I can go a couple years or so between listening to certain albums. However, there are some albums from the 80s that I had on cassette but not CD and I haven't heard them since I got rid of my cassettes about 20 years ago. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2017 at 07:59
I bought Islands when it first came out (having loved the first three King Crimson albums) and listened to it a couple of times. I absolutely hated it and didn't pick it up again until maybe 2012 or 2013. So that's what, 41 years? (It sounds way better to me now. I was, after all, 10 years old in 1972.)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2017 at 08:15
^ You bought Islands and other KC when you were ten....? Now that's what I call precocious.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2017 at 09:29
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

On Friday night I spun a CD which I had purchased sometime last year. This was a double CD release of 1974 - Spyglass Guest and 1975 -Time and Tide (Greenslade) - I listened and a few of the tracks I immediately recognised (the better tracks like "Siam Seasaw" and "Joie de Vivre" and "Catalan" and "The Ass's Ears" - then I realised the last time I had heard these - was the vinyl versions circa 1983/84. I was amazed that some of the music was immediately recognised - in my mind's eye I could hear what was coming next so to speak....
33 years later.....This is going to happen to me a lot as I am now going to embark on an early seventies vinyl replacement spree (as well as exploring stuff I have missed).
Strangely enough "Catalan" was a track that Nicky Horne used to play on the radio a lot and I taped it, I guess that would have been around 1983/4 then. I remembered it a few years ago and bought a CD copy of the album. Still love Catalan, not made keen on the rest of the album sadly.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2017 at 14:07
Ive got a lot of vinyl lps which I bought 10-15 years ago from the USA, still sealed, which I never got around to playing and (sort of) forgot I had.. in the last few years ive been selling off quite a lot but have decided to open one a month and play (Sod 'keeping them mint and sealed.. ive been far too anal about it over the years!) Recent openings have been-

2 x Humus lps from Mexico which I bought 10 years ago in a batch of lps from the States..Really really great lps, not sure how I forgot they were there!

A batch of US Todd Rungren lps; most recent opening and not heard in 15 years was 'POV'

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 01:48
The Beatles. I thought I knew them too well. Rediscovering theses albums on vinyl 10 years later is an enchantment.
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 03:46
Genesis were my favourite band for a few months in 1981. I stopped listening to them quite abruptly as I discovered other music (prog and otherwise). I was completely bored with them and had absolutely no desire to play their albums.

With other music I got into at about the same time, such as Mike Oldfield and Yes, my interest waned but not in such an extreme way and I did come back to them again over the years, sometimes with quite a lot of enthusiasm.

With Genesis, I can say with absolute certainty that the only album I ever tried to listen to since 1981 was the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I remember it because it was on one of the occasions I got my turntable out of storage. Incidentally, I thought it had some good tracks but fizzled out quite badly towards the end.

This year, I went to see Steve Hackett to keep a friend company and really enjoyed it, and as a result of that I bought Wind and Wuthering on CD. I had never properly owned this but I used to have it on a cassette that I had taped from a friend's vinyl. When I played the CD, I remembered it very well and was able to sing along to most of it. So what's that? 36 years. There might be others where the gap is slightly longer but that is one I can be certain about.
Bob
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 14:09
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have no idea what my longest gap is ...but I have been meaning to buy that double Greenslade disc for sometime now. I have the vinyl but can't seem to play them on the way to work in my car,

;)

Don't know about my listening gap...but...I bought all 4 Greenslade albums when they came out on Japanese import CD in the 90's and still regularly give them a spin.  I find "Time and Tide" the weakest of the 4 but love them all.  It's especially cool to hear Andy McCulloch fresh from Crimso's Lizard in a band where he really shines.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 15:09
Threads like this get me to dig into my collection again, thanks! I will sit down in front of them and look for some overlooked or long lost treasures and give them a spin. Or rarely find something that is not filed in the right spot. Some disks deservedly do not get played and I should probably get rid of them. But from a big prog group, I would have to go with Genesis Live. The only thing I remember about it is PG's crack about Rutherford's unaccompanied bass pedal solo. Probably been 30 years since I last heard it, and I am not sure why. Maybe I'll give it a go.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 12:11
Atom heart mother: 45 years (1972-2017)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 17:50
I hadn't heard King Crimson's "Islands" much since I bought the LP (I never cared for it much), and they performed "Islands" at their Chicago show, 28 June 2017.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>