Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLongest gap between listenings?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 20:21
I beat one yesterday, 10+ years without listening to The Final Cut.
All in all, I'd say it's better than The Wall, mostly because it's more concise. And it has actual songs on it. And the fact that it fits seamlessly with Pros and Cons and Amused to Death as some sort of "saga", if you will.
I listened to a download version, since I still have my good old cassette tape but no system to play it. I don't know about the addition of Tigers, though. It fits the theme, but the record was not like that at first. I'm picky like that. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 00:14
Hi,

Countless examples ... to the point that many times I can not even remember who that was ... and I likely have the CD/Album for it in my collection.

Of all the hours of the show I have from the 70's, there are probably over 500 bands in there, and since the whole design of the show is not hit radio, sometimes things are mixed in together and sometimes they are not, and the value of the experience of listening to that show increased so much, that it was hard to miss it, and not enjoy it.

It was not about listening to your favorite stuff ... of which you already had the album/CD, either. It was always a new adventure to a new place in a far off distant land ... and one minute I might recognize some Popol Vuh (1st two albums), and the next ... who is that?

I can tell you that I can sit back, and listen to anything ... and remember when I first heard it. For me, there really is no gap per se ... as I still have the appreciation of the guy playing THIRD EAR BAND, right after a PINK FLOYD moment. Or Colin Townes. Or Eberhard Schoenner. Or Vangelis. Or Royale Academia de Musica. Or Uno .... it's hard to remember them all by name ... countless albums, and countless experiences, of the most beautiful kind.

I, personally, don't consider it a gap at all ... I find it a golden moment to blend today, yesterday and hopefully tomorrow, into something new ... a new art ... a new feeling ... a new something or other ... and the artist is my best friend all the time.

... where do you want to be? ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2017 at 22:47
Some music is edged into the mind and what happens is you lose the vinyl recording from your original purchase in the seventies and then the next time you hear the music is when you pick up the CD sometime in the recent few years and play it for the first time since you played the original vinyl. I find I don't forget the music but sometimes the music sounds better or worse depending how your tastes have changed over the years. The Beatles are an interesting example. Everything from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road is a masterpiece, but nearly everything before Rubber Soul is rather ordinary to my ears. It could be imitation Everly Brothers to me. The Kinks, Small Faces and the Beach Boys all get better over time to my ears while The Beatles prior to Rubber Soul fades into the distant past. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 07:23
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Some music is edged into the mind and what happens is you lose the vinyl recording from your original purchase in the seventies and then the next time you hear the music is when you pick up the CD sometime in the recent few years and play it for the first time since you played the original vinyl.

I, personally, do not like that excuse ... it's like saying that I forgot Mozart, Beethoven and Stravinsky, just because we had the LP, and I never listened to it again, and until some re-mastering was done (what a joke that is!!!!!) ... and it didn't change anything, or matter anything ... the memory of the great music was still in my mind.

Music, just like all the arts, leave an impression. And you are not likely to forget that feeling for your whole life, so not hearing something for a long time, might not be as important, as if you actually "heard" it, the first time ... unless it was just another hit on the radio you never paid attention to.

I can relive my very first moment with Tangerine Dream some 45 years ago, as if it were yesterday. The gap between listening to the album Phaedra again, or not, has not been an issue whatsoever. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 12:15
Superwombling.  I reckon it's been just over 40 years since I put that beauty on my dad's turntable...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12