Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trespass - an overlooked Genesis classic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 05:38
I do like Trespass a lot. However, I have to bear two things in mind:

1. The influence of Anthony Phillips is very very strong on this - and if you listen to his solo work, it becomes rather obvious. So I'd call Trespass a 'Genesis with Anthony Phillips' album really. And the band did change a lot when Phil Collins and Steve Hackett joined.

2. I think the entire album is spoiled by the rather muddy mix - and this hasn't improved much with the Remixed version. There's a lack of clarity with the instrumentation generally, which doesn't in any way spoil the emotional 'feel' of the tracks, but does offend the hifi buff's ear!

But I think Trespass is more musically timeless than - say - Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, and has stood the test of time better. (I only recently discovered that The Knife was originally going to be called The Nice as the band members liked them!! I was also miffed to discover that the lyrics are Gabriel's satire on revolution, rather than a contemporary 'call to arms'; that's not what we thought in the early 70s when the track was our guiding light)
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 07:30
The Knife was probably the primary song that served as my gateway into pre-Abacab Genesis. It planted the seed which slowly grew until it blossomed into a full blown love of and preference for early to mid 70s Genesis. A couple of other songs like The Lamb, and Trick played a part but it was definitely The Knife that was the catalyst. 
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 08:51
Yeah - The Knife is a whole different feel to the other 5 tracks. Stands on its own really.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 09:08
Hmmm. I like Looking for Someone and The Knife a lot as songs, and White Mountains and Stagnation are also fine (the other two don't do much for me). I like the vocals and guitars on this album a lot, but I can't get round the dull sound of the rhythm section. The Knife is so much sharper on the 1973 Live album, I can hardly bring myself to listen to it on Trespass, and this bugs me over the full distance of the album. So not really a favourite of mine although it clearly has its merits.

Edited by Lewian - August 08 2018 at 10:48
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 10:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Hmmm. I like Looking for Someone and The Knife a lot as songs, and White Mountains and Stagnation are also fine (the other two don't do much for me). I like the vocals and guitars on this album a lot, but I can't get round the dull sound of the rhythm session. The Knife is so much sharper on the 1973 Live album, I can hardly bring myself to listen to it in Trespass, and it bugs me over the full distance of the album. So not really a favourite of mine although it clearly has its merits.
Hi yes - that's what I meant above when I talked about the muddy mix. It is the one thing that really spoils the album.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 11:28
I like a lot Trespass, although it´s not as great as their next four albums. But it beats all the after-Gabriel -albums!

Also, I like the production and drumsounds, although they´re really different than in their later albums.

Edited by Mortte - August 09 2018 at 02:13
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 22:48

Folks in Belgium didn’t overlook it; they took it to #1, to the surprise of Charisma, who then sent them there to tour and do television appearances.

I do agree about the muddy production (rather like the first Camel album) but overall that hasn’t affected my own enjoyment of it.  It’s one of those records I’ve thought of as having a unique feel to it that has never been duplicated.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Old Father Thames View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Father Thames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 17:03
Trespass is an incredible album and deserves a lot more attention and praise than it gets. Judging from this thread it seems that is happening.Smile
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 17:51
It still has touches of Genesis to Revelation. Peter’s vocals and overall arrangements.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 15:31
Trespass is actually tied for my fav genesis album, the other being LLDOB. I've always seen it as one of their strongest efforts, and its a shame that it isnt talked about more.
The most dangerous man in America.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 08:46
Actually of all the prog albums its the one that gets me into ancient and fairy tale mood the most its really epic in a medieval sense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234