Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trespass - an overlooked Genesis classic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trespass - an overlooked Genesis classic?
    Posted: November 08 2017 at 12:54
Even a regular diver back into the Genesis back catalogue like myself still overlooks Trespass more than I should. While it has a naivity and rawness to it of a band finding its feet and a low-fi production quality (this is the album Steven Wilson should have a go at remixing to give it that extra kick), I am always pleasantly surprised by its charm, pastoral feel and song quality.

The Knife is an obvious favourite (you could have knocked me down with a feather when it was played on the 1980 Duke tour at the Manchester Apollo). I'm sure Marillion had this in mind when they produced Market Square Hereos. I've seen 'White Mountain' performed superbly by the UK tribute band - Los Endos too. However, I think Stagnation is a fantastic track and is the clear forerunner to The Musical Box and Supper's Ready, and I often keep forgetting it is Ant playing rather than Steve at times.

I'm not trying to raise it above the classic albums that followed, but, with the slight reservations I've mentioned, is it an album that you revisit from time to time and enjoy? If so, do you have a favourite track?
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 13:09
Good album and I also don't play it enough......so with that in mind I'll play it as I do the house work since the wife is actually at work.

;)

Edited by dr wu23 - November 08 2017 at 13:09
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 13:12
I've always thought it was one of Genesis's top 4 or 5 albums.
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinkyjoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 13:19
I mostly play modern stuff lately, perpetually catching up with new releases from bands reviewed here, but ya, this is one of my long time favs .

I think the next few albums are better, but this one just feels easier to listen to.
Off the top of my head, i think Visions of Angels is probably my favourite track.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 14:51
Hmm..perhaps familiarity breeds contempt? Or maybe some boredom, but Trespass is an absolute prog classic.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 15:12
I am very, very fond of Trespass; It was one of the first Genesis lps I ever heard and its intimacy is what strikes me most. The Knife is the odd track out in a way but reflects how they started their set with gentle acoustic numbers and built up to a climax. I also like some of the Trespass out-takes (which appear on the 'hiding place' bootleg and the 1967-75 archives set in BBC session form) which continue to show the more pastoral and fragile sounding early Genesis. It is naïve sounding, a group of unsure young men and that's its charm.. I like the original John Anthony 'Muddy' production and although the 2007 Nick Davis re-mix makes the sound cleaner I feel it looses a bit of the original sense of the 'spirit of the time' but i'm sure many wouldn't agree and that's fine. The section of 'Stagnation' that was built into the 76-77 live versions of 'I know what I like always puts a bit of a lump in my throat.. Great to hear Los Endos doing that version recently.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 15:42
I think it's over looked too although maybe not by most hardcore Genesis fans. I think because it didn't have Steve or Phil on it is why. Also, I give it bonus points because it was released the year I was born. Smile
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 16:16
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I am very, very fond of Trespass; It was one of the first Genesis lps I ever heard and its intimacy is what strikes me most. The Knife is the odd track out in a way but reflects how they started their set with gentle acoustic numbers and built up to a climax. I also like some of the Trespass out-takes (which appear on the 'hiding place' bootleg and the 1967-75 archives set in BBC session form) which continue to show the more pastoral and fragile sounding early Genesis. It is naïve sounding, a group of unsure young men and that's its charm.. I like the original John Anthony 'Muddy' production and although the 2007 Nick Davis re-mix makes the sound cleaner I feel it looses a bit of the original sense of the 'spirit of the time' but i'm sure many wouldn't agree and that's fine. The section of 'Stagnation' that was built into the 76-77 live versions of 'I know what I like always puts a bit of a lump in my throat.. Great to hear Los Endos doing that version recently.

Good points made - I also picked up on the 'Stagnation' bit that Los Endos played during the Seconds Out set and it brought a real smile on my face and some hairs standing up on the back of the neck! I'd forgotten it was in that version of 'I Know What I Like'!

Edited by Squonk19 - November 08 2017 at 16:21
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
progmanjum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmanjum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 16:55
It was always one of my favorites. And thankfully one of my wife's favorites as well.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 17:02
Hey, if anyone knows of any albums that are similar to this one please let me know(other than AP solo albums that is). 
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 17:02
vision of angels is my fav
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 18:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Trespass is an absolute prog classic.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 19:37
Top 2 of the Gabriel era. Fox and Tres are the strong ones.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 19:55
I think the secret's out. It's pretty much caught on as one of the classics. Personally i think it's my favorite. Against the grain for sure but it has something that they lost with Philips. On the other hand Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme are extremely boring to these ears. I can't listen to them at all and don't find them interesting until Selling England. In fact i'd rather listen to the pop stuff of the 80s! Shocked

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 21:15
Yeah, as a whole it may actually be the most pleasant Genesis album I have heard... yet it lacks the highlights other albums have (the closest would be "The Knife"). However, if you like this, you may like Anthony Phillip's "The Geese and the Ghost" too, it sort of has a similar feel, but even less song centered. I guess other Phillip's albums would be advisable too, but that's the one I know.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 21:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Hey, if anyone knows of any albums that are similar to this one please let me know(other than AP solo albums that is). 

Perhaps Big Big Train last albums (since the Underfall Yard, and particularly the English Electric ones)... though I guess they have more of a Steve Hackett era feel more than a Phillips era. Or Harmonium (specially the fifth season one... though I guess the first one could be considered too).
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 02:06
It's a pretty strong debut album. I count it as a debut album in the same way I regard the Days of Future Passed by The Moody Blues as their debut album, which of course techncially it isn't....

Whatever..

It's the first true Genesis album, and you can hear the Genesis sound and style taking shape. It's a bit rough around the edges, and as musicians they were still learning, although I doubt I could have played the drums even as well as John Mayhew at that age.

The Knife and Stagnation are may favourite tracks, but it's pretty consistent start to finish.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 02:06
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Trespass is an absolute prog classic.

True. The only thing that lets it down is the appalling recording quality.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 04:08
I’ve always considered Trespass a great, classic album, mainly because of what it represents, the beginning of a great journey for a great, influential band, but also for the great music on it.

Edited by Manuel - November 09 2017 at 04:08
felonafan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felonafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 05:37
perhaps, Trespass is the best album of the band. Each song is very great!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>