Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trespass - an overlooked Genesis classic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 05:52
Trespass was a giant step towards artistic maturity for Genesis. Side 1 is pretty good, side 2 reaches masterpiece level (Stagnation, The Knife). Compared to this one, FGtR sounded like a schoolboy album, a dragon launched too young. 

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Hey, if anyone knows of any albums that are similar to this one please let me know(other than AP solo albums that is). 

You might give Camelias Garden a chance. It sounds rather pastoral in a way, thus reminding me of Trespass.

Edited by someone_else - November 09 2017 at 05:57
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 07:16
It is my favourite Genesis album; there is something so special about Trespass-an atmosphere all it's own.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 07:49
Regarding things ' like Trespass'......one of my favorites is Fantasy....especially the second one called Beyond the Beyond.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 08:07
Very good album but the real magic started on the next release.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 09:04
Love it.  I love others more, but I still come back to this one again and again.  Stagnation is the pick for me.  The build into Peter's ferocious vocal is mind-blowing. 
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 14:55
Excellent album. I give it much more time then any of the Gabriel led albums up to the Lamb. No bad tracks here. For me The Knife is the track that sticks out but not in a good way.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 17:39
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Very good album but the real magic started on the next release.

I agree. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 17:44
What's interesting is, they literally got better with each release through their first 5 albums(imo). How many bands can you say that about? And I even like the first album, although it sounds very 60's.  
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 19:11
I've always loved Trespass...especially Visions of Angels & Looking for Someone Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 19:23
Visions of Angels is good. Over all I would say the best tracks are "the knife" and "stagnation." The only one that's not that great is "dusk."
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 19:43
Man I dig "Dusk". Gorgeous little bugger.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 00:41
The Knife was actually inspired by The Nice - Rondo (Rutherford was a fan and brought it to Banks attention) . very Emersonesque . I never liked the Genesis Live version. Collins playing it was similar to Palmer playing Rondo in ELP. Too busy. Its needs that solid uncomplicated drumming to make it work properly.

The rest of the album is nice enough . Dusk and Stagnation stand out for me but as already said The Musical Box was a big stride forward with the added clout of Hackett and Collins (much like Wakeman and Howe elevated Yes around the same time).
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 03:07
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Knife was actually inspired by The Nice - Rondo (Rutherford was a fan and brought it to Banks attention) . very Emersonesque . I never liked the Genesis Live version. Collins playing it was similar to Palmer playing Rondo in ELP. Too busy. Its needs that solid uncomplicated drumming to make it work properly.

The rest of the album is nice enough . Dusk and Stagnation stand out for me but as already said The Musical Box was a big stride forward with the added clout of Hackett and Collins (much like Wakeman and Howe elevated Yes around the same time).

That surprises me, re; the Genesis live version. I much prefer the live version, mostly thanks to Collins

I love Stagnation too. A contender for best track on the album alongside The Knife.

Edited by Blacksword - November 10 2017 at 03:08
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 07:54
White Mountain, baby.
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 10:58
Overlooked? It is highly regarded - and rightfully so.
lostrom
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 11:23
I really like and always preferred it to Nursery Cryme until recently (Salamacis and I didn't click well until a few weeks ago). I usually rank it on par with Trick of the Tail. Its definitely rawer and tracks like White Mountain and Stagnation (great track, but it could've used a little more structure) show that they were still learning how to flesh out a song properly, but tracks like Looking for Someone and The Knife show how could they were at composing at even such a young age. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 16:21
I play Trespass frequently. I never overlooked it. It's a very rare gem. One thing you can't do is listen to any Neo Prog and hear Trespass. It really has a very unique flavor among the five, while still foreshadowing all of them. My favorites are Looking for Someone, White Mountain, and Dusk...it's all good except for Visions of Angels, which I often skip over, but even that's better than some weak tracks on some of the other five. It's so interesting hearing how they achieved such symphonic sound without the aid of a mellotron (I marvel at the same thing with Focus too).
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Big Swifty View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Swifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 01:50
Probably my least-played Genesis record. Some great cuts on there. The Knife is my favorite track.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 02:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

That's really interesting you say that. To me the Collins version of The Knife, in Genesis Live (1973) is so much better, yet as an album, I prefer Trespass, without Collins, to Nursery Cryme, with Collins.

It's the same with Script For A Jester's Tear, which is an album I really love. I so much prefer Mosley to Pointer as a drummer, yet Script For A Jester's Tear is a much better album than Fugazi. Maybe it's the fact that the first Marillion album features their best material which they are anxious to release first.

Then with Trespass you have a situation where Anthony Phillips favours 12-string guitar over Steve Hackett, who favours electric guitar. So if Steve Hackett had played on the Trespass studio album would the album had been just as good. All you can say is that Trespass recorded with Phil Collins and Steve Hackett would have been a much different album to the album we listen to. But would it have been better? Who can say?
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 16:17
I love Trespass; there's nothing overlooked about it. I think it was the third album that I heard from them, borrowed from a good friend of mine, and eventually my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>