Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVoyage of the Acolyte or Tubular Bells?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [60.00%]
20 [33.33%]
4 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2017 at 13:04
^ Only Rutherford and Collins are featured if i'm not mistaken (that's two-thirds sure) but still the musicianship feels weak to me on this album compared to any Genesis album up to this point (except the debut). I only enjoy "Ace of Wands", "Hands of the Priestess" and "Shadow of the Hierophant" and even those three are vanilla prog to my ears. 

I'm glad this album is getting some love but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that it has twice as many votes as Tubular Bells on a PROG forum.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2017 at 17:31
The Bells the Bells!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2017 at 17:35
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

^ Only Rutherford and Collins are featured if i'm not mistaken (that's two-thirds sure) but still the musicianship feels weak to me on this album compared to any Genesis album up to this point (except the debut). I only enjoy "Ace of Wands", "Hands of the Priestess" and "Shadow of the Hierophant" and even those three are vanilla prog to my ears. 

I'm glad this album is getting some love but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that it has twice as many votes as Tubular Bells on a PROG forum.

Why not? Close to the Edge had more votes than Dark side of the Moon on here. Same basic principle. Not everyone considers TB to be prog for one thing(maybe more like proto new age). Plus being that most fans of early(ie PG era)Genesis are familiar with VotA it makes sense(at least to me)that more would be familiar with it if not like it more than TB. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 13 2017 at 17:36
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 07:46
It looks like it comes down to the fact that in general more people like Hackett than Oldfield....regarding the artists and not just the album chosen above.
I have always found Oldfield to be a bit boring and TB to me is 8 or 10 pieces cobbled together into two side long tracks. While there are some nice bits here and there much of it sounds amateurish to me in it's composition and playing. Voyage might not be as good as the early Genesis works but it works an an album of engaging prog rock for me...and it's worth it alone for Shadow of the Hierophant.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 07:49
Voyage 4.23 with 1236 votes
Tubular Bells 4.09 with 1038 votes
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 20:38
I saw Oldfield live in 1982 and can assure you there was nothing amateurish about him or his band.  

Not that it matters, but Oldfield has certainly sold a great many more records than Hackett could have ever dreamed of, and that's pretty much across the board, all over the world.  I know that doesn't guarantee quality, but Floyd fans are always so glad to point out how much they've sold, so there you go.  
And, sorry, talk about boring, while I like some Hackett albums a great deal, that debut is a colossal yawn.  And my opinion is based on liking both artists. 

Edited by kenethlevine - November 14 2017 at 20:38
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 20:51
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I saw Oldfield live in 1982 and can assure you there was nothing amateurish about him or his band.  

Not that it matters, but Oldfield has certainly sold a great many more records than Hackett could have ever dreamed of, and that's pretty much across the board, all over the world.  I know that doesn't guarantee quality, but Floyd fans are always so glad to point out how much they've sold, so there you go.  
And, sorry, talk about boring, while I like some Hackett albums a great deal, that debut is a colossal yawn.  And my opinion is based on liking both artists. 

And I guess it's a great achievment to reach the sales Oldfield did with such uncommercial albums. Well, I don't really know how many albums he has sold, really, and how many of them were from his 70's works... but I understand Tubular Bells itself did very well, and that one certainly wasn't pop material. And about the amateurish sound of Tubular Bells... well, I would like to know how many of our beloved artists around here composed alone, and recorded over 20 instruments, of their debut album at the age of 19. And I do understand most of the bands we love did their best work at a young age, but usually in a band, with the help of the rest of the band members, and I guess not usually that young. However, the Tubular Bells version I have (and love) is the 2003 re-recording; I don't know how much it sounds different in the amateur department, but I really love it and wouldn't really call it so.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 20:55
Voyage is indeed excellent but it don't even comes close to the near-masterpiece that is Tubular Bells.

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 01:28
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Oldfield sells for the same reason The Rolling Stones sells. There's an incredible riff that runs through Tubular Bells that appeals to people (appeals to me as well). He doesn't always get it right but when he does it's immediately satisfying. The same can't be said of Steve Hackett who's more of an acquired taste. No disrespect for either artist though. They are both incredible guitarists who you can listen to as performers in their own right, even if they had never composed a note of music in their life.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 03:46
Voyage is a pretty good album but Tubular Bells is a one (or first of it's) kind.

Wonder what would happen if polled with Spectral Mornings... (I think both equally) would have to do it fwiw...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 04:51
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Voyage. Sally Oldfield on both funnily enough.

Is that true? I didn't know that. Where does she sing on TB? 
I'm sure she is used as harmonics (human mellotron) in several places.

Edited by M27Barney - November 16 2017 at 04:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123