Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpock's Beard Studio Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: What is your favourite Spock's Beard album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [9.30%]
4 [9.30%]
7 [16.28%]
1 [2.33%]
16 [37.21%]
4 [9.30%]
1 [2.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.33%]
5 [11.63%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 06:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Now, once again an album I haven't heard yet, but the way you describe the christian nature of the concept of Snow, it seems you might be interested in checking out Neal's solo album "Sola Scriptura". Just read some of those reviews and you'll want to hear it right away. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14201

I second that, and would also recommend ? and his latest, The Similitude Of A Dream (based on The Pilgrim's Progress)
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 07:48
Neal era:

The Kindness Of Strangers
V
Snow

Post Neal:

Brief Nocturnes
X
The Oblivion Particle (criminally underrated)

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 18:57

Mostly, I like to hear the different versions of the songs by the band (usually 1 on the studio and many live), and choose the one I like better. Often enough, there are better versions live than on studio... or it becomes a frustrating matter, since different version might be better in one aspect, but not so great in another one, and then it becomes very difficult to choose my favourite one. One of the reasons I like to get live albums, specially when I'm starting to know a band, is because that way I get a sort of "best of" selection from the band, and from there I can check out what I want to check out first. And I sort of prefer the live albums over best of or compilation albums, because then I would feel like I'm duplicating a lot of songs if I have them on the compilation and the original studio album. Also, many times (depending on the band and the particular albums/songs), the live ones can have some characteristics that makes them better for me: more energy / heavier playing, updated musical passages, longer instrumental passages / jamming, sometimes the studio songs sound like incomplete versions of the songs compared to (at least some of) their live counterparts, or the songs can be played by different line-ups, giving them a new dimension (Wakeman with Yes playing songs in which he was not originally involved). However, with Snow I couldn't really use it as an overview of the bands discography, since this new live album seems to include only the songs of the original studio one... nor do I have an idea if they are one of those bands that sound better live than on studio or not. Now, once again an album I haven't heard yet, but the way you describe the christian nature of the concept of Snow, it seems you might be interested in checking out Neal's solo album "Sola Scriptura". Just read some of those reviews and you'll want to hear it right away. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14201

The thing with Snow is that it's a concept album. There is a story all through it(and a good one). So you wouldn't get nearly the full effect of it from just hearing a couple of tracks on a compilation album. But obviously do what you feel is best for you, and thank you for the recommendation of some solo Neal Morse. Those reviews look promising, I'll have to check that out. Smile
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 18:58
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Now, once again an album I haven't heard yet, but the way you describe the christian nature of the concept of Snow, it seems you might be interested in checking out Neal's solo album "Sola Scriptura". Just read some of those reviews and you'll want to hear it right away. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14201

I second that, and would also recommend ? and his latest, The Similitude Of A Dream (based on The Pilgrim's Progress)

Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 21:22
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Mostly, I like to hear the different versions of the songs by the band (usually 1 on the studio and many live), and choose the one I like better. Often enough, there are better versions live than on studio... or it becomes a frustrating matter, since different version might be better in one aspect, but not so great in another one, and then it becomes very difficult to choose my favourite one. One of the reasons I like to get live albums, specially when I'm starting to know a band, is because that way I get a sort of "best of" selection from the band, and from there I can check out what I want to check out first. And I sort of prefer the live albums over best of or compilation albums, because then I would feel like I'm duplicating a lot of songs if I have them on the compilation and the original studio album. Also, many times (depending on the band and the particular albums/songs), the live ones can have some characteristics that makes them better for me: more energy / heavier playing, updated musical passages, longer instrumental passages / jamming, sometimes the studio songs sound like incomplete versions of the songs compared to (at least some of) their live counterparts, or the songs can be played by different line-ups, giving them a new dimension (Wakeman with Yes playing songs in which he was not originally involved). However, with Snow I couldn't really use it as an overview of the bands discography, since this new live album seems to include only the songs of the original studio one... nor do I have an idea if they are one of those bands that sound better live than on studio or not. Now, once again an album I haven't heard yet, but the way you describe the christian nature of the concept of Snow, it seems you might be interested in checking out Neal's solo album "Sola Scriptura". Just read some of those reviews and you'll want to hear it right away. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14201

The thing with Snow is that it's a concept album. There is a story all through it(and a good one). So you wouldn't get nearly the full effect of it from just hearing a couple of tracks on a compilation album. But obviously do what you feel is best for you, and thank you for the recommendation of some solo Neal Morse. Those reviews look promising, I'll have to check that out. Smile

Oh well, I still "have" to get many albums, that I don't know when I'll get to Spock's Beard and Neal Morse. There's some Corvus Corax I want to get. Some Jean Michell Jarre (at least 2 or 3 albums), and perhaps I will want a few from Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze (though it seems they are somewhat less melodic than I would like), a few RPI albums I might find interesting, some Uriah Heep, some Anekdoten, even some more Mike Oldfield albums, and Jethro Tull, a few albums I'm still missing from Renaissance (by the way, you might be interested in getting to know them), at least the Works album from ELP (the ones I'm still missing from their 70's albums), some Cast, some more Wakeman, some more Genesis, some more Anglagard, Blackmore's Night, Black Sabbath, Queensryche, IQ, SBB, Ange, Fates Warning, Flower Kings, Bob Dylan, The Strawbs, a few Marillion, a few Deep Purple, a few Rainbow and Dio, a few Jimi Hendrix, whatever new might come each year that I might want to get, and oh yeah, those new Pink Floyd box-sets from the early years of Pink Floyd that seem just somewhat overpriced (or just made too luxurius and complete, and thus expensive). And well, whatever might have escaped my mind... perhas get to know some Frank Zappa, some Procol Harum, some Krautrock, some Canterbury. And whatever. I just don't see the end of it.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 08:32
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Gonna go with X because it's chock full prog clichés, great rhythms and wonderful keys, and is the best post Morse album in my humble opinion. No easy feat.

I agree. X is wonderful.

Couple other things. If you like Neal Morse in Spock's Beard, there are two songs on Brief Nocturnes co-wriiten by him. Afterthoughts and Waiting For Me. Both sound like classic (ie N Morse era) SB

Also, for fans of Nick D'Virgilio, he is the drummer for the Spock's Beard album currently in production.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 16:01

Oh well, I still "have" to get many albums, that I don't know when I'll get to Spock's Beard and Neal Morse. There's some Corvus Corax I want to get. Some Jean Michell Jarre (at least 2 or 3 albums), and perhaps I will want a few from Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze (though it seems they are somewhat less melodic than I would like), a few RPI albums I might find interesting, some Uriah Heep, some Anekdoten, even some more Mike Oldfield albums, and Jethro Tull, a few albums I'm still missing from Renaissance (by the way, you might be interested in getting to know them), at least the Works album from ELP (the ones I'm still missing from their 70's albums), some Cast, some more Wakeman, some more Genesis, some more Anglagard, Blackmore's Night, Black Sabbath, Queensryche, IQ, SBB, Ange, Fates Warning, Flower Kings, Bob Dylan, The Strawbs, a few Marillion, a few Deep Purple, a few Rainbow and Dio, a few Jimi Hendrix, whatever new might come each year that I might want to get, and oh yeah, those new Pink Floyd box-sets from the early years of Pink Floyd that seem just somewhat overpriced (or just made too luxurius and complete, and thus expensive). And well, whatever might have escaped my mind... perhas get to know some Frank Zappa, some Procol Harum, some Krautrock, some Canterbury. And whatever. I just don't see the end of it.

See now you've made me angry. LOL

No, totally cool man. I like Zappa. His "Hot Rats" album is very good(I think you'd like it). And that first Mothers album "Freak Out" is fun imo. Some of his other stuff is a little hit or miss, and some of it is very weird.. I could see you getting annoyed quickly lol. I usually have to be in a certain mood to listen to him.

And I notice you have Flower Kings on your list here. I found a poll right on this very site..

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 21:40
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

See now you've made me angry. LOL

No, totally cool man. I like Zappa. His "Hot Rats" album is very good(I think you'd like it). And that first Mothers album "Freak Out" is fun imo. Some of his other stuff is a little hit or miss, and some of it is very weird.. I could see you getting annoyed quickly lol. I usually have to be in a certain mood to listen to him.

And I notice you have Flower Kings on your list here. I found a poll right on this very site..

The thing with Zappa is that I want to know a bit of his music because he seems to be a very important figure in the development of prog. Though really, what little I have heard has not appealed to me much... you mentioned "Freak Out" as fun... and it might be just it what puts me off, I'm not really fond of "funny" or "comic" stuff in music... I mean, from time to time it might work, but not very often. It certainly doesn't make me laugh (on the contrary), and then what's the point of something being "funny" if it won't make you laugh. However, I think I got to hear a pair of shared songs from him that I did enjoy, so I guess looking in the right place I might at least find a few songs I would like. And I guess I could have expected such a similar love for both those bands. Though I'm afraid what I have heard from Flower Kings is a bit "prog for the numbers" too, still, I want to hear a bit more from them. From time to time I have heard stuff with Roine Stolt that is amazing, like some of the pieces on Transatlantic, or the new "Kaipa do Capo" album, which I really liked. By the way, in case you missed it, there was a collaboration last year with Roine Stold and Jon Anderson... you might just as well enjoy it, or at least want to get to know it. I found it OK, but nothing I'm really eager to come back to, but still it was very well received by the fans.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 05:10
I found "Snow Live" on Amazon yesterday - no sign of it here yet though.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 18:51

The thing with Zappa is that I want to know a bit of his music because he seems to be a very important figure in the development of prog. Though really, what little I have heard has not appealed to me much... you mentioned "Freak Out" as fun... and it might be just it what puts me off, I'm not really fond of "funny" or "comic" stuff in music... I mean, from time to time it might work, but not very often. It certainly doesn't make me laugh (on the contrary), and then what's the point of something being "funny" if it won't make you laugh. However, I think I got to hear a pair of shared songs from him that I did enjoy, so I guess looking in the right place I might at least find a few songs I would like. And I guess I could have expected such a similar love for both those bands. Though I'm afraid what I have heard from Flower Kings is a bit "prog for the numbers" too, still, I want to hear a bit more from them. From time to time I have heard stuff with Roine Stolt that is amazing, like some of the pieces on Transatlantic, or the new "Kaipa do Capo" album, which I really liked. By the way, in case you missed it, there was a collaboration last year with Roine Stold and Jon Anderson... you might just as well enjoy it, or at least want to get to know it. I found it OK, but nothing I'm really eager to come back to, but still it was very well received by the fans.

I just listened to "One Size Fits All." It's really good and sounds very proggy(I think it might be his proggiest album). I'm just in a Zappa mood right now from this discussion. But no.. back on topic before I get in trouble here. I've been loving Spock's Beard since you basically get me into them(talk about a find!). Oh and They and Zappa are both from the U.S.! 

Ok, I might have to check out this Flower Kings deal next. I just looked them up and see that they're from Sweden. Well ok, that would be cool. We'll see how they sound.. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 19:41
^ One Size fits All is an absolute must-have, every music lover should own a copy.

@Dellinger: Go for 'Roxy and Elsewhere' and 'Make a Jazz Noise Here', two of Zappa's very best live albums.

His lyrics rarely makes me laugh but i'm often laughing out loud while listening to his music: His overall attitude, the various insanely talented musicians who plays with him, the ultra-complex compositions.

Edited by Barbu - November 16 2017 at 19:58
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 19:48
^I agree about One Size fits All.....but imho Hot Rats should be in every music lovers collection.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 21:23
I couldn't decide, so  I threw a vote behind one of my more favorites that was lagging behind the others: Beware of Darkness. I have enjoyed the Beard's "mutilation" of George Harrison's song, it could be one of my favorite semi-pop tunes. 

But on a totally different note, I don't understand the problem with Leonard with the Beard. Brief Nocturnes is better, to my ears, than anything they did during the NDV era. 
-John
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 21:28
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ One Size fits All is an absolute must-have, every music lover should own a copy.

@Dellinger: Go for 'Roxy and Elsewhere' and 'Make a Jazz Noise Here', two of Zappa's very best live albums.

His lyrics rarely makes me laugh but i'm often laughing out loud while listening to his music: His overall attitude, the various insanely talented musicians who plays with him, the ultra-complex compositions.

Attempts at funny lyrics might put me off a bit, but if the music is good then I'll just try to ignore them (as in "All in a Mouse's Night")... but it is exactly attempts at being "funny" or "comedy" or however it might be called, within the music, the way they play, making "funny" noises on the song, that's what really puts me off. And that's what I'm afraid would ruin Zappa's music for me. However, just checking out his page on PA, indeed those albums you mention seem to be the most promising. The only thing is, the songs I think I remember somewhat liking that I got to hear are "Cosmic Blues" and "Bobby Brown", or something like that, and neither one is within any of those albums.

Edited by Dellinger - November 16 2017 at 21:34
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 21:37
Zappa has put out 100+ albums and not all of them are comical.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 09:02

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Attempts at funny lyrics might put me off a bit, but if the music is good then I'll just try to ignore them (as in "All in a Mouse's Night")... but it is exactly attempts at being "funny" or "comedy" or however it might be called, within the music, the way they play, making "funny" noises on the song, that's what really puts me off. And that's what I'm afraid would ruin Zappa's music for me. However, just checking out his page on PA, indeed those albums you mention seem to be the most promising. The only thing is, the songs I think I remember somewhat liking that I got to hear are "Cosmic Blues" and "Bobby Brown", or something like that, and neither one is within any of those albums.

Not really what I meant. Give a listen to 'Black Page no.2'(rather serious) from Zappa in New York and 'Catholic Girls' (rather funny) from Joe's Garage, for example. The hilarious complexity of The Black Page cracks me up way more than Catholic if you know what I mean...hmmm maybe I should consult, after all.

Spock's Beard? Arf, she said.

Edited by Barbu - November 17 2017 at 09:16
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 11:25
^ Hey Barbu, did you know this existed? I came across this yesterday and couldn't believe it LOL (sorry for highjacking the thread btw):

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 12:08
^ Gimme gimme some, baby!

Robert said recently that meeting and working with Frank was one of his fondest memories of his long career.

Man, I wish he was still with us.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 05:49
I don’t have the NDV albums, but from the rest I really love The Light and The Oblivion Particle more than the others.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 06:53
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I don’t have the NDV albums, but from the rest I really love The Light and The Oblivion Particle more than the others.

Oblivion Particle has its moments but I enjoy it less than the two previous albums. I'm curious to hear what the next disc is going to sound like
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123