Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP fans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELP fans
    Posted: November 11 2017 at 05:56
I'm a huge fan of ELP and Keith Emerson.  Beginning of the year, I discovered the band Trace, very much a ELP clone.

Frontman Rick Van Der Linden formed the band Trace after seeing the band The Nice in concert and was quite influenced how the sounded.

After 3 albums with Trace, he also formed the band Ekseption, another fine band with a similar sound.  Rick Van Der Linden from the Netherlands is a fantastic keyboard player, similar to Keith Emerson in sound.

He also has a huge solo discovery too,  more classical orientated in sound.   I love Rick Van Der Linden work a lot.  It's a shame I only discovered him this year.

Worth checking out folks!!Smile
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 10:25
I have the debut Trace album but haven't listened to it in years...think I'll have to give it another spin Wink
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 11:34
Not a band I was aware of. I'll check them out. Thanks
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 13:45
Also of possible interest to ELP fans are The Nice, Egg, Le Orme, Triumvirat, Atomic Rooster, Ars Nova, Nexus and the Par Lindh Project.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 13:58
^  And Il Balletto Di Bronzo's Ys.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 15:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Also of possible interest to ELP fans are The Nice, Egg, Le Orme, Triumvirat, Atomic Rooster, Ars Nova, Nexus and the Par Lindh Project.

I agree on your choice,  but Trace and Ekseption are both ELP clones!..Wink  Both bands are on this PA site..Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 15:28
Ekseption is not an ELP clone. Ekseption was formed in the late '60s. Ekseption arranged classical music for rock band, but they also had brass & woodwinds.

Rick van der Linden LEFT Ekseption to form Trace!

After the third album by Trace in 1976, Rick returned to Ekseption for Ekseption '78 and the band continued until '95 with their final release Ekseption Plays Bach.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 15:32
Birds (1975) the 2nd album by Trace, was my intro to the band, one of the first prog LPs I got after enjoying the music of the big UK prog acts like Tull, Genesis, Yes, and ELP (but I listened to Tangerine Dream and Vangelis before them).

I don't regard Trace as an ELP clone. The format may be identical, but the music's different. ELP would never have recorded albums like Birds or The White Ladies. (:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 16:53
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^  And Il Balletto Di Bronzo's Ys.

Yes, them too. There's also another Italian band suppose to be similar to ELP called the Trip.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 21:36

I have never understood the comparison between ELP and Le Orme. I find just about no similarity in theri sound. I think Le Orme is a keyboard driven trio... but really, the music is not similar at all (I guess Le Orme would sound closer to classic era Genesis than to ELP... and even then not by much). From the big italian bands, I find much more similarity from Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, even though the line-up format is much different.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 08:09

Also of possible interest to ELP fans are  Par Lindh Project.

Forgot I had this band,  thanks for reminding me..Smile
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 11:44
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I don't regard Trace as an ELP clone. The format may be identical, but the music's different. ELP would never have recorded albums like Birds or The White Ladies. (:

I have a majority of those bands mentioned above and agree,  there are a lot of similararites to ELP.  I do find Trace with a lot of resemblance and parallels compared with the other bands mentioned.  The same with Ekesption..  Very much identicle in style and sound IMHO..Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 13:24
Maybe ELP's an Ekseption clone. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 16:01
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I have never understood the comparison between ELP and Le Orme. I find just about no similarity in theri sound. I think Le Orme is a keyboard driven trio... but really, the music is not similar at all (I guess Le Orme would sound closer to classic era Genesis than to ELP... and even then not by much). From the big italian bands, I find much more similarity from Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, even though the line-up format is much different.

Fair enough. I'm not really that familiar with Le Orme myself I'm just going by the fact that I have seen them compared to ELP. The little I did hear of Le Orme only sounded like ELP in so far as they were keyboard dominated with no guitarist(at least Felona E Sorona). Banco I do know pretty well but would say they don't sound much like ELP either. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 14 2017 at 16:02
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 20:58

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Fair enough. I'm not really that familiar with Le Orme myself I'm just going by the fact that I have seen them compared to ELP. The little I did hear of Le Orme only sounded like ELP in so far as they were keyboard dominated with no guitarist(at least Felona E Sorona). Banco I do know pretty well but would say they don't sound much like ELP either. 

From what I have heard of Le Orme (a compilation adn Felona E Sorona itself), I guess Felona e Sorona is the closest they sounded to ELP, and indeed that's not much (except for the keyboard dominated thing, as you said). As for banco, they do have guitars, but they also have lot's of keyboards... however, I'm not sure I could point out what is it from them that reminds me to ELP. I guess there is something about them both having carnival-like passages at some songs. But while on ELP they just put me off, I have grown to like the Banco ones. I guess the singer makes a great difference.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 00:46
The Italian bands tend to have their own thing going but there is some obvious ELP influence in most of them. The only real ELP clones I've come across are probably Triumvirat and that was only one album 'Illusions On A Double Dimple'. Ars Nova tend to sound more like the Italian symph prog bands while Par Lindh again has his own thing going. Check out the first 3 albums . They are brilliant but not that much like ELP. ELP were a hard band to imitate as they did things that were not musically very natural. This was part of their appeal. A lot of the keyboard bands were more refined and probably even had better technical keyboard players but were never as interesting to me.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 12:01
 Atomic Rooster....?Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 12:12
[Check out the first 3 albums ]

For Ars Nova or Par Lindh? :)
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 14:23
Rick Van Der Linden.

Any relation to the drummer in Focus?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 14:41
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Rick Van Der Linden.

Any relation to the drummer in Focus?

Brother. Pierre also played on the first Trace album. On Birds, he was replaced by future Steve Hackett and Marillion drummer, Ian Mosley.
 Post Reply Post Reply