Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson European 2018 Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 00:22
^ yay larks 4!

great to see fracture and discipline stick around as well. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
austrianprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 10:40
Saw them in Vienna last Saturday. They were too loud for me (rock concerts always are), and I can't get over the fact that they didn't play "Schizoid Man" - of course they did at the second gig the next day, which I couldn't attend. Argh! Apart from that, it was a great show with some nice surprises for me (Moonchild, Bolero, Discipline), because I didn't look at the setlists of earlier concerts of this tour before, fortunately.
(Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this.)
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 10:54
^ Yes this is the place to post for this tour.  The url below shows Tony Levin's road diary/photos of the show you were at in Vienna.  According to the set list photo, they were supposed to play Schizoid Man as an encore.  Maybe they ran long or something and did not get to it.  Glad you got to see them!  I saw them on the 2017 USA tour and it was a little loud but it was great.

https://tonylevin.com/road-diaries/king-crimson-2018-uncertain-times-tour-part-1/vienna-show1

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 14:50
Thank you, but I'm already aware of Levin's blog and have seen the setlist picture (I even tried to spot myself in the audience shot, but the resolution was too low). They stuck to it until LTIA 2, after which they left the stage under sustained applause, to come back and play "Starless" a bit later - everything as usual so far, but the waiting time until they reentered was remarkably long. When "Starless" ended, there was another applause, but it receded quickly, the lights went on, and everybody headed for the exit. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I know that "Schizoid Man" wasn't played that night, and I read in a review that they did it on Sunday. I don't remember the exact time the concert ended, but it was approximately 23 o'clock (it started at eight).
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 20:30
I read earlier that Adrian Belew might be on forthcoming tours. Any idea if Belew is in the lineup?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 01:29
Really? That would be greater than great. IMHO, Belew's absence is the only flaw of the current lineup ("Indiscipline" in particular doesn't convince me with Jakko singing). But on June 23 it was clearly Collins, Levin, Rieflin, Jakszyk, Fripp, Mastelotto, Stacey, Harrison, and I haven't heard this information anywhere else (other than Fripp and Belew have overcome their differences and Belew was added as a currently inactive ninth member a while ago). Where did you get it from?
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 14:59
Looks like they are doing a bit of the later Larks and mixing in some Red material in this tour.  As well as dropping Level 5.  Set list from Prague 2nd show.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 15:27
I assumed LTIA 5 is Level 5. People who are going to these concerts, is that true?

Great to see One More Red Nightmare come back. Now if we can convince Fripp to bring back Sailor's Tale. :p 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 15:46
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I assumed LTIA 5 is Level 5. People who are going to these concerts, is that true?
Good question. I'm not too familiar with 90s and newer Crimson so I lost track a bit at this section (setlist is six posts above), and since it's almost a week ago now, I can't tell for sure whether LTIA 5 was Level Five or not. From what I've seen at Levin's blog, it was always called Level Five on the 2017 tour, but in 2018 only LTIA 5 shows up (quite on the same places in the set, but that could be a placebo of mine). Probably they've just altered the name on the setlists, it's known that Fripp considers it to be part of LTIA.

Quote Great to see One More Red Nightmare come back. Now if we can convince Fripp to bring back Sailor's Tale. :p 
Yes, I missed Sailor's Tale too...
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 19:44
^  Wow, that is a good question.  I have the Power to Believe CD from 2003 which has the song title of Level 5 (my favorite of the album) and is the song I heard in the concert in 2017, right before Starless...amazing.  A very intense, powerful song.  I can't say that I have heard LTIA 5 (at least by that title), if they are interchanging the title of the song, then it is more of Fripp's mind games that he likes to play that we all love.

Oh yeah, I would love to have heard Sailor's Tale live!

I hope someone who has seen the current tour can verify.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDPascalDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 06:15
Was there in Amsterdam yesterday, it was outstanding! The power of the double-quartet is very refreshing, also a bit loud but with a lot of energy that they keep during the long show which took a full three hours not including the pause. During the first set there was an amazing suite which took about 25 minutes I guess, very intense...: Radical Action I (abbreviated) - Radical Action III - Meltdown - Radical Action II - Level Five
Maybe the most beautiful piece though was Islands just before the intermission, that really moved me and was so unique compared to the rest. Maybe that's about the only negative thing I could say about it, it's all very much the same style almost the whole show, the old songs sound like they could've been released on the latest album. On the other hand, it's quite an accomplishment to make music for some 50 years and making it all comprehensive but ever refreshing in sound. Anyway, overall there was so much to listen to, because each of them was playing excellent.
Also I like the idea behind the tour, a bit like John Cage if you like: each performance is unique and based upon a little coincidence, the set is namely different every time which explains the title: Uncertain Times (in my interpretation), like he said himself here: https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/David%20Singleton/free_the_music  (a great little read!)

BTW, I haven't seen pictures of the printed setlist, so I don't know of Larks' V means Level 5, but actually I do think it is.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDPascalDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 11:06
Ah Tony's blog is updated, the great Level 5 is called LTIA V
Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsonsnowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 15:05
Glad to see the brought back One More Red Nightmare, which was able to see them perform a few years ago. I also see they've added Bolero to the lizard suite, Cadence and Cascade, and one or two more versions of LTIA. Now  let see if they can bring back Great Deceiver and Lament. I seen them a few times ,but I may have to see them again if they come back to the states.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 14:55
Anyone else going to see KC at the London Palladium on Saturday?

I'm starting to get excited
Songs cast a light on you
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 17:06
Friday...
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 18:01
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Friday...

Enjoy!  I'll be interested to hear your thoughts afterwards
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 16:36
It's been over a week now and I've been a bit dilatory, but I wanted to put down a few thoughts after seeing King Crimson's concert at the London Palladium on 3rd November, and I'd be interested to hear any thoughts from anyone else who saw them.

They were certainly in fine fettle, and the eight musicians generated a powerful sound.

Unfortunately I found that they were over amplified at the beginning of the concert, and the first two tracks were uncomfortable because the volume was just too high.

It wasn't just me.  Other people around me clearly experienced the same thing.  My ears were ringing after those first couple of tracks. I couldn't pick out the more subtle sounds as it was just a wall of noise, and it adversely affected my enjoyment of those pieces.

Fortunately, as the concert went on, the sound engineers seemed to get the levels sorted out and I was able to enjoy the wonderful sound of King Crimson without it rupturing my ear drums!

The three drummers were excellent, and they way they worked in unison was something to behold.

The big surprise on the night was the performance of Cirkus, followed by an extended medley from Lizard.  I certainly wasn't expecting to hear anything from Lizard so that was a real treat.

Great to hear a lot of stuff from the early albums, like Moonchild and Court of the Crimson King, but the best track of the evening for me was, surprisingly, Islands!

Islands has never been my favourite KC album, but the version of the title track that they played live was sublime.  The interplay between Mel Collins and Robert Fripp was wonderful and it left me gasping for more.  Needless to say, it was Islands that I was spinning after the concert.

Gavin Harrison's amazing drum solo, when he played both rhythm and melody at the same time using just sticks, drawing applause from his fellow drummers, was an amazing exhibition of skill and a fitting end to a wonderful evening.

A shame about the volume levels early on, but it didn't dent my overall enjoyment of an amazing concert by an incredible band
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12