Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLater Tangerine Dream Live albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Later Tangerine Dream Live albums
    Posted: November 20 2017 at 15:27
After a decades-long lay-off, I'm building up a TD library. I'm interested in recommendations for later period live albums, say from 'The Zeitgeist Concert' onwards. CD, not MP3. Along with reasons for suggestions.

FWIW, TD albums I rate highly include Zeit, the usual 70's suspects, Hyperborea, Seven Letters From Tibet, and Purgatorio and The Endless Season from their post 2000 stuff particularly impressed me. Of the 'poets' series I only have Finnnegan's Wake, which I could take or leave.

With TD, if some albums have less prominent audience noise, that would be a plus.

Cheers.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 16:24
You might struggle for recommendations. I like later TD including most of what you have named but I'm not familiar with any of their live albums after about 220 Volt Live which was 90's. I have a feeling that one of the Dante's Divine Comedy Trilogy 'Inferno' was recorded live although is not classified as a live album as such (?) . The second of this Trilogy is Purgatorio which you name on the list and I also agree is an excellent album.

Edited by richardh - November 20 2017 at 16:25
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 16:32
Originally posted by Braka Braka wrote:

After a decades-long lay-off, I'm building up a TD library. I'm interested in recommendations for later period live albums, say from 'The Zeitgeist Concert' onwards. CD, not MP3. Along with reasons for suggestions.

FWIW, TD albums I rate highly include Zeit, the usual 70's suspects, Hyperborea, Seven Letters From Tibet, and Purgatorio and The Endless Season from their post 2000 stuff particularly impressed me. Of the 'poets' series I only have Finnnegan's Wake, which I could take or leave.

With TD, if some albums have less prominent audience noise, that would be a plus.

Cheers.

For some fine latter-day live-action TD, check out (both are 3CD) Live at Admiralpalast Berlin and Supernormal – The Australian Concerts 2014
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 00:30
Hi,

The Australian Concerts and parts of "Supernormal" are actually the very last Tangerine Dream with Edgar Froese.

The majority of these live shows are all on the tube, and some of them are not released as a DVD at all, but there are some good ones ... both Lisbon Concerts are very nice, I like the DVD of the Phaedra Farewell Tour a lot,

The TD website has some stuff streaming, and you can get a nice feel for some of that material and most of it is from the past 4 or 5 years.

The part I like the most is that both Linda, Iris and Hochiko, really got strong in the last 2 to 3 years of that band's live concerts, and are (for me) the best TD ... even though I saw them 4 times going way back to their first tour of America here in the West Coast.

Btw, the Booster Series has a lot of the material used in concert, and some of the way that things were redone. I am only familiar with the last 3 of them at this time.

Edited by moshkito - November 21 2017 at 00:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 01:14
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. There is a fairly overwhelming assortment of material, even when you just limit it to live albums. I guess I was interested in the more recent live stuff partly because of my general impression that after a pretty insipid period from the late 80's through the late 90's TD seemed to turn a corner somewhere around 2000.

It just seemed to me that this is around where they started re-gathering momentum: at least in the decade prior to 2000 there don't seem to have been many very good albums, whereas since then there haven't been many very poor ones (if you don't count the deluge of sometimes pointless compilations (e.g. why would anyone release, let alone re-release 'Mars Mission Counter', which is basically half of 'Mars Polaris' and half of 'Great wall of China' with the track names changed?)

Also the fact that their live lineup  seems generally to have included proper bands with members and instruments not heard otherwise, while many of 'their' studio albums are Edgar Froese solo albums in all but name (not that there's anything wrong with that). 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 04:27
I'll keep an eye on this thread but I suspect I have put my Tangerine Dream acquisitions on hold for now or for good. I have the new one on the way (even if I don't like the fact that they are continuing without Edgar) and am currently digging back into the recently released live boxset. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 02:04

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. There is a fairly overwhelming assortment of material, even when you just limit it to live albums. I guess I was interested in the more recent live stuff partly because of my general impression that after a pretty insipid period from the late 80's through the late 90's TD seemed to turn a corner somewhere around 2000.

It just seemed to me that this is around where they started re-gathering momentum: at least in the decade prior to 2000 there don't seem to have been many very good albums, whereas since then there haven't been many very poor ones (if you don't count the deluge of sometimes pointless compilations (e.g. why would anyone release, let alone re-release 'Mars Mission Counter', which is basically half of 'Mars Polaris' and half of 'Great wall of China' with the track names changed?)

Also the fact that their live lineup  seems generally to have included proper bands with members and instruments not heard otherwise, while many of 'their' studio albums are Edgar Froese solo albums in all but name (not that there's anything wrong with that). 

I totally agree with this summing up. I really like Views From A Red Train (great guitar work!) as well and own all of the Booster Series (all good!).
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 03:41

I think the 2014 remake they did of Sorcerer was quite good, expanding the known bits to good effect and adding an extra CD with (again remakes) of tracks that didn't make it onto the original album (one of them being Astral Voyager which Edgar made us all believe was from the '1973' Green Desert)

And it was recorded live, though the applause was mixed out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HOgqVrdNQ

grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 10:21
phadeaus ,and Rubicon
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 12:25
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

I think the 2014 remake they did of Sorcerer was quite good, expanding the known bits to good effect and adding an extra CD with (again remakes) of tracks that didn't make it onto the original album (one of them being Astral Voyager which Edgar made us all believe was from the '1973' Green Desert)

I love Green Desert. I don't care when it was recorded (I'm sure those were '73 sessions dusted off and finished in '85, because there was no way Chris Franke had touched a real drumkit since the '70s).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 20:17

I'm not sure that the 80's period is as bad as that ... you will find in the Booster Series and in the Remix Series, some of the 80's stuff, and I think that they were, just like the other parts and eras in TD's life, just slightly different with new equipment, and the sound was way more digital than it had ever been, and their "digital" kick did not really start full blast until the 90's, and I attribute some of that to the 220 Volt Live CD, which to me, immediately tells you ... here is another phase and they are getting stronger, specially in concert.

Hearing some of the stuff today, it stands up really well, and specially in the redo's of some of the material. Not only were they brought up to date, the equipment used made it sound even better.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 15:52
I think there was a noticeable decline after about 1988 . Underwater Sunlight and Tyger were good but then you start hitting stuff like Melrose which was distinctly sub par and lacking any great character. I had to give up about 1995 (coincidently about the same time I gave up on Marillion!) but then they both had a resurgence in the 00s'.

Edited by richardh - November 29 2017 at 15:54
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 17:38
Richard (or anyone else in here!), did you pick up the recent studio album `Quantum Gate' from a couple of months back? I thought it was rather good (occasionally bordering on great), with plenty of inspired ideas on offer. Alongside the recent `Particles' double EP and `The Sessions 1' EP, as well as the Thorsten/Ulrich collab disc, there's been plenty of impressive new music from the current musicians in the group throughout this year!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 16:10
Neither Quantum Gate/Key nor Particles are as good as Synthwaves by Quaeschning-Ulrich, IMO. 

The last thing of TD I liked a ton was the Sorcerer revamp!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 02:14
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Richard (or anyone else in here!), did you pick up the recent studio album `Quantum Gate' from a couple of months back? I thought it was rather good (occasionally bordering on great), with plenty of inspired ideas on offer. Alongside the recent `Particles' double EP and `The Sessions 1' EP, as well as the Thorsten/Ulrich collab disc, there's been plenty of impressive new music from the current musicians in the group throughout this year!

yep got it but haven't really given it enough attention to have an opinion just at the moment!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 07:42
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

yep got it but haven't really given it enough attention to have an opinion just at the moment!

I have to listen to it again ... but my original listen told me that the new version was in too much of a hurry to get to the song format, because they could not live through the evolution of a sound, and its many stages ... in other words, the patience was no longer there for the sound itself ... and I think this is where the differences started with Peter Baumann when he was invited over earlier.

All in all, for my ears, it is just really slick and very clean electronic stuff, that is becoming surgically enhanced to sound human, but in the end, it lacks the feeling the human warmth can provide, and its love and affection that can be presented ... and I will have to listen to it again, although -- normally -- very little from the first listen changes for me ... over the years, since 1972 for that matter when I first heard "Mysterious Semblance ... " changes my opinion and visions of a piece of music.

For me, the "visual" opens up ... and the new pieces, did not have any visuals for me, and that is very rare and not usually the case, but it suggests that too much of the music is idealistic, and not realistic or based on a feel. It is not based on a sound development at all, but on its supposed difficulty and design concept of "music".

When you compare the best piece of the new album (QG) to things like "Mysterious Semblance" ... it doesn't even come close ... the older piece just simply stands out and jumps at you and grabs your ear ... the new piece just .... just ... does not do enough of anything to attract your dedicated listening to it.

I will, however, give it another listen at another time, but the new TD, for me, lacks the psychic feel and touch, that was there before, and is not there now. 
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply