Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which King Crimson is most like Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which King Crimson is most like Yes
    Posted: December 02 2017 at 15:22
At the moment, I'm either listening to one of them each day, with no crossover. Any ideas?
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 15:56
The closest they ever got was Jon Anderson guesting on Lizard, or maybe later singing, "does the color of the sun turn crimson white"...other than that, my answer would be none...apples and oranges LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - December 03 2017 at 10:02
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 16:07
^ Yeah...Anderson's guesting is really the only thing that makes KC remotely related to Yes. (even with the bruford connection) and even then its a bit of a stretch 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 16:17
It feels strange but quite funny to compare. Let's guess...

Nr1 Lizard lineup
Lizard has picked bass sound, non-mellotron keyboards plus an epic piece with Anderson singing on it, all important Yes features.

Nr 2 72-74 lineup
Start of TFTO part three recalls LTIA part One (wah bass, kalimba). I cannot count Bruford's drumming for (studio) KC as a major link to (studio) Yes because his playing is quite different there from the one with Yes.

Nr3 81-84 lineup
Belew brought ways to KC that can be compared to what Rabin brought to Yes, both bands developping their own prog pop... But that's pretty much everything. 

Other lineups having less substantial stuff in common.

What would be your list ?...

Edited by jayem - December 04 2017 at 07:41
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 16:45
Probably the first two KC albums, by virtue of being the most symphonic. Or perhaps you could draw a very loose connection between the frenetic, noisy energy of Larks and Relayer? *shrug*
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 17:35
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

*shrug*

OooohShocked
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 17:59

Or perhaps you could draw a very loose connection between the frenetic, noisy energy of Larks and Relayer? *shrug*

I'd think that Red is somehow to KC what Relayer is to Yes. Sure they're not similar, but I find   "frenetic noisy energy" rather in Red than in LTIA.
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 18:02
Not sure they even intercept, totally different musical approach.
Long live Progresive music!
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 18:58
court of the crimson king and little bit of red also wake of the Poseidon
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 19:00
Or more specifically, which of these x often wildly different oranges is like these x even more wildly different apples?

Confused

Perhaps elements of the sound of "The Ladder" could be compared in some respects to the sounds and composition approach adopted by '80's KC? I'm mainly thinking of the electronic percussion here so it's a superficial comparison, please don't grill me on this. Embarrassed

By the way how often do we have to express annoyance with CAPTCHA - I usually don't get the comparison pictures, instead the checkbox to confirm that I am not human, followed by a success message then an error page that says I don't have permission to post Censored

Edited by David64T - December 02 2017 at 19:05
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 19:14
^ The captchas  here has something wrong with it as captchas on other sites (even financial ones) are not this bad, it is broke on this site in my opinion.  None of them are this bad, I don't understand why it has not been addressed...

but to answer the thread, as mentioned above, apples and oranges, NONE.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 19:17
None. Two great bands indeed, but in completely different spectrums of music.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 20:12
I've always found Lark's Tongues in Aspic part 3 to be a bit reminiscent of I've Seen All Good People.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 21:39
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Or perhaps you could draw a very loose connection between the frenetic, noisy energy of Larks and Relayer? *shrug*

I'd think that Red is somehow to KC what Relayer is to Yes. Sure they're not similar, but I find   "frenetic noisy energy" rather in Red than in LTIA.

Red is more aggressive overall, certainly, but LTIA has an unpredictability and idiosyncrasy perhaps reminiscent of Relayer, the one album with its clattering percussion and stomping drive and the other with that fractured guitar trying to rip itself apart.. If nothing else, LTIA and Relayer are arguably the most experimental albums by their respective bands, chaotic maelstroms threatening to splinter apart at any moment (although both with their quieter moments naturally). Red is more controlled and mathematical, the minimalist build up in Starless being the most obvious example. 
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 23:03
There's a bit of resemblance between the noodling in Moonchild and some of the noodling in I See You... mainly in terms of the guitar tone. I'm mostly thinking of the section when it's just Peter Banks and Bill Bruford jamming.

Some of the stuff between Giles Giles and Fripp and King Crimson has a bit more of an upbeat feel with lots of vocal harmonies, so I guess that's a bit more Yes-like. I guess it's technically Giles, Giles and Fripp at that point, but Ian MacDonald and Peter Sinfield were in the band at that point so it was one member different from the In The Court lineup. Plus, these songs were early versions of KC songs (Drop In was performed by Crimson live with Greg Lake, and eventually became The Letters).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNOGBiVPtD0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq4skTo7vSk

On the Yes side, a few people have mentioned Relayer, but I think Five Per Cent For Nothing, though brief, certainly has a lot in common with the angular riffs King Crimson would make later on (Larks, Fracture, etc).

Edited by ForestFriend - December 02 2017 at 23:11
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 00:38
At one point in time -someone- "Crimson-related" made noises about how similar the main guitar themes for Heart Of The Sunrise and 21st Century Schizoid Man were.

I know so little about it I shouldn't bring it up, yet I have.
I don't know who, or whether it was you-know-who. I just know that somewhere sometime I became aware that such a remark may have been made. And they are similar! Not the same, but similar. Otherwise the two bands bear almost no resemblance. They are more yin to each other's yan. Yes light, Crimson dark, so forth.

Odd given how closely related these two remarkable groups actually are.

Edited by Frankh - December 03 2017 at 00:40
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 03:43
No ressemblance at all ; all agree. But still , one must remember that in the ABHW alias, there was Bill Bruford and Tony Levin  both on record and on stage. I can remember passages in concert, and notably on the opening song of the record, Themes, where the rythm section may sound FURIOUSLY like 80's era Crimson...
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 06:09
They are nothing alike. I don;t understand the question..

Is it a trick question??
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 07:33
Hi,

NONE
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 17:06
Bit and pieces of most 70's KC albums contain YES'ish energy, however the crossover effect is minimal in a general good way.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - December 05 2017 at 17:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>