Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which King Crimson is most like Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 18:52
I'm not sure which album is most like Yes but the KC song most like Yes is "prince Rupert Awakes." Tongue
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 03:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not sure which album is most like Yes but the KC song most like Yes is "prince Rupert Awakes." Tongue
Yes this one sounds like Yes. But in general they represent prog from a different perspective and lack KC's jazzy edge.

bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 03:23
With Jon Anderson on vocals, one can't be surprised! But then it would sound much more like Olias of Sunnyhillow".

I repeat an earlier comment: how about the rythm section of ABHW, with both Bruford and Tony Levin, this evidently for the 80's incarnation of KC...
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 20:55
Another suitable question would be Which Yes is most like King Crimson. In that case I think it would be easier to answer, with Relayer.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 21:08
I'd say parts of The Ancient sound quite Crimson-esque.
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awaken77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 03:08
nothing beside Anderson guest vocals, and the fact that Bruford played in both bands

another connection is Tony Levin , who played on ABWH and Yes 'Union' , and in bunch of KC-related projeKCts

Edited by awaken77 - January 05 2018 at 03:12
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 03:57
Parts of TFTO sound KC-esque, namely Giants Under The Sun. Yes smokes KC in terms of any sort of jazz fusion when it comes to Relayer, however. KC never hit the fusion button the way I like it for that matter, so of course I'm biased.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 04:24
Have to say that although Alan White really isnīt the worst drummer of the world, heīs never been even near of the greatness of Bruford.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 04:33
I knew this had to be a condor thread. Who else asks these kinds of questions?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awaken77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 05:29
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Have to say that although Alan White really isnīt the worst drummer of the world, heīs never been even near of the greatness of Bruford.

Where is this coming from?
Alan White learned all Yes catalog in 3 days, when he was hired.
and Bruford didnt play in Relayer.

imho they are equal in terms of greatness. just different.
it the same as Chris Squire vs Geddy Lee or apples vs oranges

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 07:49
^I am not trained, professional musician, but I have played some instruments since the age of four or five. I claim (you can of course call me fool) I can hear who has skills, also who has skills, creativity and almost genius in his playing. Yes, Alan White is skillfull, but he just havenīt got same creativity and genius as Bruford. He didnīt learn whole Yes catalog in a three days, just the songs that was on that tour. Of course he anyway managed well, but in Yessongs and also later lives you easily hear, how Bruford just played those old Yes classics so much better. And yes, he did fine job in Relayer, but if comparing the drum parts of Relayer & Larksī Tongue I hear very great difference (although Larksīis my favourite from those two also other way).

Geddy is also much better than Chris. These all four musicians do their stuff in a great way, but itīs a fact that some musicians are better than others. You donīt find the differences easily, but hear it, when somebodyīs have to continue after so great drummer as Bill (I think heīs the worldīs best). I think I would have hear the same, if Chris had to go into Rush after Geddy has left it. If you donīt understand what I am saying, then this is useful to continue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 09:24
Hi,

I'm not sure I like to compare musicians ... it simply isn't fair, and someone thinking that this has more than that, or less than that, is like saying ... one's wee wee just isn't enough for the job ... get a bigger bass guitar? ... get a louder guitar lead? ... get a drummer with more toms?

There are distances and deserts between Chris Squire and Tony Levin or Greg Lake, or even John Wetton, whose progressive roots, in bands like FAMILY were also very strong and interesting, although a bit strange, but they came alive with the right folks around him ... in King Crimson.

I, specially, find the comparison between Alan White and Bill Bruford. They are two completely different drummers, and while I thought that AW was more rock oriented, and Bruford more jazz'y oriented with touch, I think that what YES needed at the time, was a more rock'y edge to help bring about their new material, and make sure it was enjoyed and played on radio (FM radio in the USA), at the time, when something more jazz'y would be likely to not get as much attention, since things at the time 1972, were going towards rock, bigger and louder.

And in the end, Bill joining King Crimson, was actually an outstanding fit for him, and I wish he had not retired and be one of the drummers in the current 3 drummer setup in KC, and help blow out the audience ... and show the fans ... this is about MUSIC ... not mechanics or gymnastics between drummers! Surprisingly enough the one drummer that would likely suffer the most in that idea would be Gavin Harrison, who is likely too mechanical and mathematical for Bill's taste, but it would allow Bill to do touches and percussions on the side.

As for guitar ... both very distance, although my thoughts are that Steve Howe solo's way too much and fortunately, it does not hurt the music of YES, and has become a strong staple of it, and this is something that Robert Fripp does not do ... for him, it's about the composition as a whole and its inter-mechanics and subtleties ... and I think that Steve Howe depended on Chris Squire to add these "touches" to make the rest of the music more interesting, and of course, it all worked well and we remember almost all of the pieces they did. In King Crimson, I think this would only happen in rehearsal, and it would probably end up being used in a new piece somewhere down the line ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 11:20
Originally posted by awaken77 awaken77 wrote:

I was going to say...Alan White might be the only person who can put his feet in Bruford's shoes in terms of Yes. That guy is so underrated and under appreciated for the level of intensity he not only had to follow up on, but managed to maintain and even top on Relayer!

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 12:01
Regarding the OP question.....none.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 13:02
Well, I think Neil Peart would have succeed better in Yes after Bruford. But that time he was completely unknown (although he was in London 1970). But I am not complaining: White has done great work in Yes, what I have just said White isnīt even near of the greatness of Bruford. But great enough to make Yes music great.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 13:18

Well, I think Neil Peart would have succeed better in Yes after Bruford. But that time he was completely unknown (although he was in London 1970). But I am not complaining: White has done great work in Yes, what I have just said White isnīt even near of the greatness of Bruford. But great enough to make Yes music great.

Bruford is my favorite drummer of all time. White is no Bruford, but he almost makes you feel like Bill never left. He was the perfect fit for Yes after CtTE to my ears!

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 22:20
Originally posted by awaken77 awaken77 wrote:

One song in which Alan's drumming really shines for me is on Wakeman's Anne of Cleves. However, in general yeah, Bruford is just in another level. It would be like comparing Howe and Rabin... yeah, sure Rabin can play fast and virituos and whatever, but there's just something missing that only Howe can give the band. Or like comparing Jon Anderson with Benoit David and Jon Davison. There's a reason the CttE line-up was so unique and un-repeatable.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 23:40
What is much harder to say to me is Steve Howe better than Peter Banks? Specially when some great person has just put the live tracks from first Yes in youtube, there you can see Peter has been also quite a guitarist!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 02:50
Prince Rupert Awakes ??   
Poseidon's Wake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poseidon's Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 14:23
^this
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>