Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wishbone Ash 30CD box set release for April 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWishbone Ash 30CD box set release for April 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wishbone Ash 30CD box set release for April 2018
    Posted: December 04 2017 at 02:36
Hi all

as an enormous Wishbone Ash fan I have been looking forward to the anticipated projected 30+CD release that has been touted for sometime.

See here:
https://burningshed.com/wishbone-ash_the-vintage-years_boxset

There will be only 2,500 copies of this on sale. On further scrutiny, however, I am extremely disappointed with all of this. The only things here that are relatively new are 11 CDs of 8 various Live concerts (I have enough WA live recordings to sink a ship anyway). Mostly everything else from the studio has been previously released on CD...no 5.1 DVD or BluRay audio anywhere!

There is no way I am going to fork out a ridiculous £250.......yes £250!!!!! for things I mostly already have. 

I am very, very disappointed indeed. If it was quarter the price I might consider buying it.

There must be some very rich Ash fans out there.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 02:46
Like some of the recent KC box set, this may be more Wishbone Ash than anyone needs, especially at that price.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 04:17
Agree with Chopper. 

I'm surprised that "vintage" WA goes all the way to 1991. I would cap it in the mid 70s at the latest.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 08:33
I think Vintage refers to the time before Wishbone Ash became one original member plus three hired hands. I also think that the band did release some great albums after the mid 70s. No Smoke Without Fire, Just Testing and Here To Hear are all favourites of mine along with earlier albums like Argus and There's The Rub.

However as I already own CDs of 13 of the 16 studio albums and one of the live albums, and I have no desire to own signed posters or a 7" flexidisc which I can't play as I don't have a record deck, I'm going to pass. If they fail to shift all 2500 boxes it would be good if they'd sell the contents separately. I might be interested in one or two of the new live recordings on their own.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 20:30
For me vintage Wishbone Ash is everything through No Smoke Without Fire.. definitely including New England and Front Page News. I also really like Nouveau Calls and Here to Hear. Getting rid of Martin Turner was a huge mistake. You don't get rid of your most important member, ridiculous. I love Andy but he's too power hungry imo. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 11:29
For me, this is vintage WA. Although, I realize that might be a little too narrow for many fans

Edited by Jeffro - December 07 2017 at 05:58
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 01:55
You can see the tracklist of all the CDs here

https://burningshed.com/store/madfish/wishbone-ash_the-vintage-years_boxset

A few things that strike me:

The set includes 10 live versions of Blowin' Free, 9 Kings will Come and 7 Phoenixes, amongst other duplicated tracks. A little bit of overkill, methinks.

There are two recordings from the 1973 tour but all the songs on the second one are also on the first one. Considering that WA were never known for improvisation, what is the point of the second show?

Same with the Front Page News tour. You could get rid of the Marquee Club CD and you'd only be missing Phoenix - and as stated above there are another 6  live versions of the song in the set.

I wonder how many of these "new" live recordings were previously released on the Tracks CDs. A fair few, I would guess.

For completion, I would have included a gig with Trevor Bolder and one with Spam Spence, plus something from the reunion era too. Was nothing available?

Finally, most of the bonus tracks were available on the previous CD releases, or on First Light and Lost Pearls. There are a few from the 80s lineups which appear to be new, but to be honest I wouldn't want to hear any out takes from Raw To The Bone because the tracks that did make the album were awful anyway.

Sorry, but this feels like a ripoff to me. And I say that as a big fan.

Edited by AlanB - December 07 2017 at 02:02
Hugh Reskume View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 13:42
As another big fan of WA I have to say that I totally agree with AlanB's "rip off" comment.

Even though no "new" live recordings are actually on any of the "Tracks" cd's, a couple of tracks do make an appearance on the "Distillation" compilation from 1997.

Checking through my WA collection I find that in terms of track timings I already own 63% of this Vintage Years project.

Needless to say I very much doubt I will be purchasing this collection, effectively 11 cd's for £250 is a little rich for my blood.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 15:27
Hmm now even I'm starting to get second thoughts about this. And I already cancelled hulu and napster to make some more room in my budget to save a little each month until April. Idk I'm very much on the fence at this point. Wishbone Ash is my favorite band. I mean I love Genesis, Frank Zappa, Yes, Gentle Giant, etc.. but if a stranger comes up to me and asks, "who is your favorite band?" My answer will be, "Wishbone Ash." 

I don't know. I feel like I should get it, but I don't want to feel like I got ripped off. 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 15:58
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Hmm now even I'm starting to get second thoughts about this. And I already cancelled hulu and napster to make some more room in my budget to save a little each month until April. Idk I'm very much on the fence at this point. Wishbone Ash is my favorite band. I mean I love Genesis, Frank Zappa, Yes, Gentle Giant, etc.. but if a stranger comes up to me and asks, "who is your favorite band?" My answer will be, "Wishbone Ash." 

I don't know. I feel like I should get it, but I don't want to feel like I got ripped off. 

Bluntly, this is sh*t value compared to many of the other big box sets coming out. I'd call it greedy.

I'd be pretty surprised if it sells out fast, given the high price and the fact that many hardcore Ash fans will be dubious about parting with that kind of money to get little new apart from some live recordings which, as has been pointed out, are pretty repetitious. So if I were you I'd wait and see what happens to the price after it is released. May well be you'll find it at a substantially better price on Amazon, eBay or Discogs. If not you'll probably still have chance to pick it up at full ticket.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 07 2017 at 16:06
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 16:41
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

For completion, I would have included a gig with Trevor Bolder and one with Spam Spence, plus something from the reunion era too. Was nothing available?

They are saving all that for the sequel box, presumably to be called "Ash Ordinaire: The Non-Vintage Years".  With any luck they can make that one up to a full 30 CDs by including a dozen or so remix CDs of Trance Visionary by happening contemporary producers.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 16:55
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Bluntly, this is sh*t value compared to many of the other big box sets coming out. I'd call it greedy.

I'd be pretty surprised if it sells out fast, given the high price and the fact that many hardcore Ash fans will be dubious about parting with that kind of money to get little new apart from some live recordings which, as has been pointed out, are pretty repetitious. So if I were you I'd wait and see what happens to the price after it is released. May well be you'll find it at a substantially better price on Amazon, eBay or Discogs. If not you'll probably still have chance to pick it up at full ticket.

Yeah, you could well be right. If I did see it on Amazon or somewhere much cheaper I'd really kick myself. It's a big gamble but I think that is probably the smart move, wait. Thanks a lot! 

Post Reply Post Reply