Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoundtracks and more Soundtracks

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Soundtrack Composers ... Yeah?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [28.57%]
1 [7.14%]
4 [28.57%]
1 [7.14%]
1 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.14%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soundtracks and more Soundtracks
    Posted: December 04 2017 at 08:45
Hi,

A more complete listing of sorts, staying next to the other film threads ... missed a few I'm sure ... but the "song" soundtracks I have left behind and will put together another listing. (Sorry .. the multiple votes is not working even though it's checked!!!!!)

Soundtracks ... soundtracks ... soundtracks!
(... if you have not seen the majority of the films ... you really do not know what you are missing!

Vangelis (Chariots of Fire/Blade Runner/L'Apocalypse des Animaux/Ignacio/La Fete Sauvage/Opera Sauvage/Antartica/The Conquest of Paradise/Alexander)

Maurice Jarre (Dr. Zhivago/Lawrence of Arabia/Behold a Pale Horse/Topaz/The Last Tycoon/The Tin Drum/The Year of Living Dangerously/A passage to India/The Mosquito Coast)

Nino Rota (Toby Dammit/Godfather 3/Taming of the Shrew/The Leopard/Juliet of the Spirits/La Dolce Vita/8 1/2/The Godfather)

Bernard Herrman (Citizen Kane/Jane Eyre/The Day the Earth Stood Still/North by Northwest/Taxi Driver/Vertigo/ The Wrong Man/The 7th Voyage of Sinbad/Journey to the Center of the Earth/Psycho/Fahrenheit 451)

Danny Elfman (Good Will Hunting/Beetlejuice/The Simpsons/Sommersby/Men in Black/Planet of the Apes)

Leonard Bernstein (West Side Story/On the Waterfront/On the Town)

Ryuichi Sakamoto (Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence/The Last Emperor (Oscar)/High Heels/The Little Buddha/Wild Palms/Snake Eyes/Femme Fatale/The Revenant/The Sheltering Sky)

Rogers and Hammerstein (The Sound of Music/Oklahoma/Carousel/The King and I)

Miklos Rozsa (Ben-Hur/les Miserables (1934)/Double Indenmity/Spellbound/The Killers/Quo Vadis/Ivanhoe/Lust for Life/King of Kings/The golden Voyage of Sinbad)

Jack Nitzsche (Performance/The Exorcist/One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest/Cannery Row/AQn Officer and a Gentleman/Starman/The Jewel of the Nile/The Seventh Sign/Blue Sky)

Henry Mancini (The Pink Panther series/Peter Gunn music/High Time/Bachelor in Paradise/Breakfast at Tiffany's/A Change of Seasons/The Great Race/Arabesque/The Party/Darling Lili/The Great Waldo Pepper)

Zbigniew Preisner (Dekalog/Europa Europa/The Double Life of Veronique/Damage/Three Colors: Blue/Three Colors: White/Three Colors:Red/When a Man Loves a Woman/Foolish Heart/The Island on Bird Street)

Edited by moshkito - December 04 2017 at 08:47
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 09:43
Bernstein is pretty good
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 11:01
I voted Nino but where's Ennio?
Guigo

~~~~~~
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 05:49
I would go for Bernstein but I think really think you can call "West Side Story" a soundtrack, can you? It's a musical.
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 07:52
On the list, which i'm not allowed to vote my heart goes to Vangelis / Rota. My wish list addition to Hans Zimmer and my absolute two best ones to "Blade runner" and "Interstellar..."

Sci Fi reader and viewer as you may guess...
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 09:20
Maurice Jarre for the epic soundtracks to Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago and A Passage to India as well as for putting Jean-Michel into this world.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 09:52
I voted for Vangelis, but I don't know the work of most of them tbh. Surprised to not see the late James Horner on that list: his scores, among others, to Krull and Star Trek 2 and 3 should delight any proghead.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 09:59
John Williams as well would be an hounerable mention along side Jerry Goldsmith
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 11:45
Hi,

I kinda left John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith out of the list on purpose because their work is too much on the Hollywood side of things and not as artsy as things could be and are when you mention some of these other folks, whose musical pedigree and wide range of work, is nearly incredible. As an example JW, ended up with the famous dadada  and the stuff he did there was just ... the worst possible, which gives you the idea that the serious composer never existed. His original soundtrack for Star Wars (the double LP) is an excellent soundtrack, but he has no others like it ... at all. Made me think that George Lucas was the one that insisted on this and that for details with the music, which defined how the music would go, and it was not going to be "conventional".

Thus, my choices here, are more or less, not conventional, if I may suggest that.

Mind you, that you have someone like Maurice Jarre, who won an Oscar and years later won another, for a soundtrack that was electronic and not with an orchestra ... which not only gives you an incredible vision of what music can be and how it can be done ... for Maurice, it was about the music, and it didn't matter how it came alilve, and seeing his son do synths, probably helped a lot but also gave him a lot of new ideas.

Ennio was a long thought and I had him listed, but did not add for some reason or other. Zimmer is too new and not time tested. I do think his work is not that great and his stuff on BR2 is crap ... and not worth the mention.

Edited by moshkito - December 06 2017 at 08:45
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 14:01
Maurice was brave in experimenting with electronical compositions which in some way was pretty prodegius in terms of movie score

Edited by Icarium - December 05 2017 at 14:02
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 09:00
Hi,

Interesting choices so far ... and I wonder how many of the films are actually seen.

Example: Jack Nitzche. Even though he did not exactly have much to do with the song, he was probably very important in helping put together "Memo from Turner", which, by all standards was the very first "video" ever done that MTV did not want to show you, because the movie was so out there and strange and completely druggy ... that would be PERFORMANCE, one of the best films ever made, but also one of the most difficult to watch and make sense of. Other stuff ... The Exorcist ... no one saw that? One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ... wow, one of the first totally out there films for the new generation ...  Ken Kesey got ripped off and all that!  Starman? You mean you did not watch Jeff Bridges learn a thing or two, including sex? The Jewel and the Nile ... ohhh who cares about the music, right? Blue Sky? Did anyone even see that?

Also, someone like Ryuichi Sakamoto ... check out his videos and solo performances on the net ... he's not a beginner and a nobody ... although the majority of his films are not exactly the stuff that Americans like to see ... High Heels (Almodovar), The Last Emperor (Bertolucci), Wild Palms ( David Lynch), The Sheltering Sky (Bertolucci again), Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (Nagisa Oshima).

Zbiniew Preisner, made his mark with Krzysztof Kieslowski, and also with Agnieszka Holland, both Polish directors. You must see "The Double Life of Veronique" ... and his music will forever be in your mind!

So, a small knowledge of Foreign Film would be required here ... 
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 10:58
I voted for Zbiniew Preisner first, then I voted for Ryuichi Sakamoto (could vote for more -- I've seen most of the films that are listed, but haven't listened to so many of the soundtracks on their own). I have quite a few Preisner CDs in my collection as in the 90s I was collecting his stuff since I loved the films he composed soundtracks for as well as his music, and I have a few of Ryuichi Sakamoto (I guess his Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence one is what I've listened to the most). I'm also voting for Nino Rota, especially for his Fellini Satyricon soundtrack (when I rented that film my friend really hated it, by the way, but I like the film and the music).

As for Ennio, I have made no secret of my love for Morricone at this site, but there are so many great soundtrack composers.

EDIT: I decided to give a vote to Bernard Herrman. Although I don't have the soundtracks in my collection, I have noted loving his music in films.

Edited by Logan - December 07 2017 at 11:01
 Post Reply Post Reply