Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBjörk vs Kate Bush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which artist do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [25.86%]
43 [74.14%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 18:02
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I have to go with KB.  The quirky female vocalist I'd put in 2nd place is Lene Lovich.  Totally unique and crazy, but with a far more limited recording career than KB which I always thought was a shame...

Love Lene--though Nina Hagen is my favorite of the female German rockers. Interesting idea: pitting countrymates against each other in popularity polls. Where would Dagmar Krause fit? German or British?
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 22:18
They're both freaks in their uniqueness of the way they present, but I like more the style of Kate than the broad spectrum of work that Bjork does.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 05:38
Kate Bush! Björk has done only few great albums.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 14:24
Kate...by far.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 15:06
The Bush....by far.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 15:35
Kate Bush, so much better than Sugar Cubes
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 01:51
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I like Bjork, but no contest against the best female solo artist.

Agree.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 09:41
Hi,

So sad to see this ... unfortunately I have never given Bjork a good enough listen ... way too busy with every thing else to worry about a pop artist!

At the same time, for me, women were NEVER in competition for anything! Not even top ten!

Edited by moshkito - December 24 2017 at 07:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 10:52
My dad might have said that he was too busy listening to classical music (Western Art Music) that he didn't have time for other music. I don't blame him as he said his interest was harmony, although he did respect some jazz and liked Gene Krupa (and in other music he liked more traditional Ravi Shankar music). I have known quite a few classical music snobs who looked down on other music including pop and rock (other than jazz which seems to get a pass). I doubt such people would be that impressed with most Prog either, and think, ooh, classic Genesis is up there with Beethoven or that Yes is as skilled in composition as Bach..

I like Bjork and Kate Bush, but then I like art pop. I especially like Bjork's Homogenic, Post, Vespertine and Debut albums (a particular fave of mine has been Homogenic Live). Aside from that, I love the Lars von Trier film Dancer in the Dark, but I don't own the Selmasongs soundtrack ("You catch me when I fall". She was popular in Japan when I was working there in the 90s, so I first got familiar with her stuff there.

That said, I've had a very long-time love affair with Kate Bush, which started when I first saw her music videos (I especially loved "The Man with the Child in His Eyes". Later on I fell big for "Wow". The first CD I got was Kate Bush: The Whole Story, and then the debut which I adored, and later albums. So she gets my vote. The B side of Hounds of Love (the Ninth Wave suite) is a particular favourite of mine these days. I hadn't listened to the album in ages, but was reminded of it in a BBC program I watched on youtube. It's called The Kate Bush Story - Running up That Hill . There is something cinematic about it, and Kate Bush has said that she thinks of it in filmic terms.

EDIT: Was think of embedding this vid before, and because The Sensual World doesn't get get mentioned much I will (I got it in the bargain cassette bin fairly soon after it came out). I love this song which features David Gilmour on guitar (Gilmour was important in the kick-starting of Bush's career, by the way).

Edited by Logan - December 12 2017 at 11:15
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 14:20
Bjork's quirkiness has become so predictable it's not surprising anymore. A one trick pony IMO. 
 Kate Bush is a much more diverse & intelligent artist.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 08:17
Imagine sitting in front of the television as a kid back in about 1978.Top of the Pops was on and there was this weird and wonderful woman doing her strange dance whilst singing to Wuthering Heights. That image and sound stuck in that kids mind and can still be seen and heard in the minds eye some 30+ years later. That's power......real power. 
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 09:03
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

Imagine sitting in front of the television as a kid back in about 1978.Top of the Pops was on and there was this weird and wonderful woman doing her strange dance whilst singing to Wuthering Heights. That image and sound stuck in that kids mind and can still be seen and heard in the minds eye some 30+ years later. That's power......real power. 

I was that Kid!!!!!.......Tongue

She's not that much older then me...  In fact,  she was quite young when she started!....  Lust!!!!!Big smile
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 10:19
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

I was that Kid!!!!!.......Tongue

She's not that much older then me...  In fact,  she was quite young when she started!....  Lust!!!!!Big smile
Yeah, I had the same experience with Captain Kangaroo.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 15:20
^ LOL!  And Mr. Green Jeans....

Anyway, Bush for me.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 23:29
I think I saw that Wuthering Heights vid from television in the late seventies or early eighties. I was under ten, so really didn´t understand her then. I think she was quite UFO that time in Finland and for example my brothers, whose favourite music I listen that time didn´t like her at all. I understood, how genius she was in the nineties. Kick Inside was the first album to hit me.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 02:21
Kate Bush.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 13:20
Bjork sucks. Stupid Emo kid
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 06:27
Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

Bjork's quirkiness has become so predictable it's not surprising anymore. A one trick pony IMO. 
 Kate Bush is a much more diverse & intelligent artist.
Ehh I'm sorry if I'm a bit late, but looking at Björk's singles alone, how are, say, Army of Me, It's Oh So Quiet, Lionsong, Big Time Sensuality, Venus as a Boy and All Is Full of Love anything close to the same trick?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 06:50
All those singles except Lionsong is from her early days, when she was developing her music. Lionsong is not a bad song, but really haven´t got anything new. It could have been in Volta album or any of them came after that. Her songs today are very commonly sung very great way and in the back there are some electronic plurp. Of course I understand there are people who likes them.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 09:29
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

All those singles except Lionsong is from her early days, when she was developing her music. Lionsong is not a bad song, but really haven´t got anything new. It could have been in Volta album or any of them came after that. Her songs today are very commonly sung very great way and in the back there are some electronic plurp. Of course I understand there are people who likes them.

It's a shame that you can not appreciate "poetry" in its many forms.

Unlike what you do, the work that KB does these days, is more "free-form" poetry, than it is a "song" and you can not do this, duplicate it, or even conceive of it, because they way you describe your feelings and thoughts is sort of like ... the Sex Pistols ... mostly fake and obviously media-lookfor attention to make it look like you have something to say.

Sadly, you do not even have an appreciation for ... let's say a Picasso ... so you saying that KB has nothing new, is like you saying ... you do not see anything in it anyway ... so why bother even commenting ... no, you have to say something not nice, and then expect people to like what you do?

Btw, "electronic plurp" is more of what you use and do in some of the examples you have shown! Both KB and Bjork, are not fake people that are tuned to pleasing appearances for the sake of fame ... they live their work and life for it ... while you are hoping that your anger shows up somewhere for being left behind in the fight for a little attention in the music business. You won't likely get it with your attitude is my guess.

Just remember ... it's not about the anger ... it's about your own work and music! If you want to last as long as KB and Bjork have. It's not likely they would have lasted this long if they were vain idiots!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>