Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBjörk vs Kate Bush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which artist do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [25.86%]
43 [74.14%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:04
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

All those singles except Lionsong is from her early days, when she was developing her music. Lionsong is not a bad song, but really haven´t got anything new. It could have been in Volta album or any of them came after that. Her songs today are very commonly sung very great way and in the back there are some electronic plurp. Of course I understand there are people who likes them.
Well that's mostly because her recent years haven't produced as many well-known hits, still Medulla, Biophilia and Vulnicura each introduced a completely new sound for her (I haven't heard the new one yet), while Volta was possibly her most varied (The Dull Flame of Desire, Vertebrae by Vertebrae and Declare Independence were quite new for her). So sure, she always clearly brings in her own character but she's notoriously alienated a lot of fans over the years and also gained new fans by constantly evolving.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:20
I don't see Bjork as a "one-trick pony" or as a 52 year old "Stupid Emo kid" (being a kid is relative to one's own age, one might say, and she does seem to retain a certain childlike qualities despite her reaction to her letter-bomb "stalker" back in 1996). Kate Bush, too, seems quite childlike (maybe not now so much).

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 16:22
Just a fanboy passin' through.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

All those singles except Lionsong is from her early days, when she was developing her music. Lionsong is not a bad song, but really haven´t got anything new. It could have been in Volta album or any of them came after that. Her songs today are very commonly sung very great way and in the back there are some electronic plurp. Of course I understand there are people who likes them.

It's a shame that you can not appreciate "poetry" in its many forms.

Unlike what you do, the work that KB does these days, is more "free-form" poetry, than it is a "song" and you can not do this, duplicate it, or even conceive of it, because they way you describe your feelings and thoughts is sort of like ... the Sex Pistols ... mostly fake and obviously media-lookfor attention to make it look like you have something to say.

Sadly, you do not even have an appreciation for ... let's say a Picasso ... so you saying that KB has nothing new, is like you saying ... you do not see anything in it anyway ... so why bother even commenting ... no, you have to say something not nice, and then expect people to like what you do?

Btw, "electronic plurp" is more of what you use and do in some of the examples you have shown! Both KB and Bjork, are not fake people that are tuned to pleasing appearances for the sake of fame ... they live their work and life for it ... while you are hoping that your anger shows up somewhere for being left behind in the fight for a little attention in the music business. You won't likely get it with your attitude is my guess.

Just remember ... it's not about the anger ... it's about your own work and music! If you want to last as long as KB and Bjork have. It's not likely they would have lasted this long if they were vain idiots!

They are talking about Bjork; however, I agree very much. Very valid point, and I would like to state that Bjork is an extremely versatile artist; just because you cannot get into them, does not mean they are not unique or interesting.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:49
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

Well that's mostly because her recent years haven't produced as many well-known hits, still Medulla, Biophilia and Vulnicura each introduced a completely new sound for her (I haven't heard the new one yet), while Volta was possibly her most varied (The Dull Flame of Desire, Vertebrae by Vertebrae and Declare Independence were quite new for her). So sure, she always clearly brings in her own character but she's notoriously alienated a lot of fans over the years and also gained new fans by constantly evolving.

Her new album was a real gem in my opinion. She created a very large soundscape, mostly with electronic instruments. It's also avant-garde in a way (kind of reminds me of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, but they are both obviously very different). Highly recommended.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 23:52
All I can say, really nothing against Björk. I love her Vespertine and Medulla-albums, also listened quite much her first three albums and like them too. I have even seen her on the stage in the nineties. It´s just happens to me (like I think everybody happens) that even the artist that I have loved really much, doesn´t make music that I like anymore. I listen very little electrobased music (I think the genius of Medulla is almost all that stuff is made by the human voice although that`s highly manipulated). Really thinking it´s great thing Björk is still making music, because I rather listen her music from the radio than some others. I don´t have to buy her new music. So this is just matter of taste, I don´t love Björk`s new music anymore like I still love Bushes new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123