Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrank Zappa - the Black Page

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frank Zappa - the Black Page
    Posted: December 05 2017 at 00:31
From Rachel's Facebook page
Originally posted by Rachel Flowers Rachel Flowers wrote:

24 years ago today Frank Zappa sadly passed away. Frank was a unique artist who combined many different elements from many different styles. He loved to take rhythms and melodies to another level. The Black Page is one of the pieces where Frank used unusual rhythms to take a piece to a new level.

Edited by rminsk - December 05 2017 at 00:35
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 11:23
Hi,

It's totally insane, and makes me want to redefine what "progressive music" really is all about ... hearing things like this only reinforces, the great compositions of our time and place ... that we do not pay enough attention to. Rachel alone, is helping us re-define Keith Emerson and Frank Zappa ... if only we allow ourselves to get off the top of the crap standards in too many places. 

This is too valuable and incredible at the same time ... and that someone can pull this off by themselves, is even more incredible ... and we're supposed to know "music" ... "you know nothing Jon Snow..." is all I can think!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 16:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

It's totally insane, and makes me want to redefine what "progressive music" really is all about ... hearing things like this only reinforces, the great compositions of our time and place ... that we do not pay enough attention to. Rachel alone, is helping us re-define Keith Emerson and Frank Zappa ... if only we allow ourselves to get off the top of the crap standards in too many places. 

This is too valuable and incredible at the same time ... and that someone can pull this off by themselves, is even more incredible ... and we're supposed to know "music" ... "you know nothing Jon Snow..." is all I can think!

I totally agree. Rachel Flowers playing Frank Zappa.. this is music folks. Gave me the chills actually. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2017 at 17:56
Great to hear people keeping FZ's music alive reminding us all what an amazing composer he was.  Of all the famous musicians that died too soon, I've missed none even a fracture as much as I've missed FZ.  Think of all the amazing music he could have made the past 24 years, not to mention all the political satire which badly needed to be said only the way Frank could have said it Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 08:14
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Great to hear people keeping FZ's music alive reminding us all what an amazing composer he was.  Of all the famous musicians that died too soon, I've missed none even a fracture as much as I've missed FZ.  Think of all the amazing music he could have made the past 24 years, not to mention all the political satire which badly needed to be said only the way Frank could have said it Wink

ohhhh ... he would have gone apepoop over some trump's I bet!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 12:39
If you would like to play along with #1
https://imgur.com/a/82IWD

Edited by rminsk - December 06 2017 at 12:40
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 02:18
I can't believe it's been 24 years.

Thank you for sharing this.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 03:59
The world needs another Zappa, problem is, there’ll never be one. I, too, think of what he could’ve achieved over the last 24 years...............
He isn’t for everyone, be he should be.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 12:21
Hi,

Frank did something that is much more appreciated in Europe than it is in America. Over there, there is an incredible history of dissent and opposition, that ended up differently. In America, the dissidents were wiped out, be they the orignals that were here before, or simply another part of the country.

Thus, the types of satire and humor that Frank used was not quite enjoyed in America, to the point where many people still listen to it and say they hate it because of the words, or whatever ... never mind the subject.

Comedy, even in England, has a very naughty history, for example, and even Peter Cook and dudley Moore did their thing for the "royals" and the "upper class" parties, since they both were from the very same institutions that they all came from ... and you can hear some of it as "Derek and Clive" ... and it is not any cleaner or safer than Frank Zappa. Even though I do not have much other comedy, it is hard to imagine that there is no such "naughty" stuff in France and Germany, where oppositions to this and that can be, usually, very bad. In France, there was a very large contingent of political carttonery and buffoonery during the days of the guillotine ... so you know that some of the stuff was around, that even the guillotine could not kill!

Once you get over the words and letters, the whole thing can get funny, weird, strange ... like any other comedian, despite some of the material not being ... this or that ... like today, so many folks would attack both of these to the ground until they were dead. And kill the art ... again.

But as Daevid said, you can kill his body but you can't kill him! And the same goes for material that is true to its source and ability!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply