33 [49.25%]
12 [17.91%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last Chance
    Posted: December 11 2017 at 18:44
I've tried to get into all three of these bands(at different times) since joining this forum, but for different reasons just couldn't. So they're each getting one last chance here with this poll. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 18:50
1st vote for Tangerine Dream.
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 18:59
VDGG
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 19:06
VDGG then IQ then TDream
PROGMATIC
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 19:28
Tangerine Dream - Amazing band. Difficult to get into due to their immense and quite diversified discography. You must try before giving up: Electronic Meditation (dark experimental guitar work; unlike any other TD album that I know of), either Alpha Centauri or Zeit (the Kosmische albums), either Phaedra or Rubycon (both of which are their most popular but I'm personally not a big fan of any) and either Force Majeure or Tangram ('80s sound, closer to traditional rock). They're worth it.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Another amazing band. More consistent than TD but none of their albums stun me as much as the first 3 TD albums. I don't know if it's Hammill's vocals you have a problem with or if maybe you've only heard Pawn Hearts but otherwise I don't see why someone who loves classic prog like you seem to do would not like VDGG. I suggest listening to Godbluff if you have trouble getting into them, if any is going to make you love them it's this one.The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other and H to He Who Am the Only One are lighter and Pawn Hearts is perhaps the most ambitious beast of all classic prog.

IQ - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 19:46
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Tangerine Dream - Amazing band. Difficult to get into due to their immense and quite diversified discography. You must try before giving up: Electronic Meditation (dark experimental guitar work; unlike any other TD album that I know of), either Alpha Centauri or Zeit (the Kosmische albums), either Phaedra or Rubycon (both of which are their most popular but I'm personally not a big fan of any) and either Force Majeure or Tangram ('80s sound, closer to traditional rock). They're worth it.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Another amazing band. More consistent than TD but none of their albums stun me as much as the first 3 TD albums. I don't know if it's Hammill's vocals you have a problem with or if maybe you've only heard Pawn Hearts but otherwise I don't see why someone who loves classic prog like you seem to do would not like VDGG. I suggest listening to Godbluff if you have trouble getting into them, if any is going to make you love them it's this one.The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other and H to He Who Am the Only One are lighter and Pawn Hearts is perhaps the most ambitious beast of all classic prog.

lmao. This is helpful thanks. My issue with VDGG is that(from what I've heard from them) a lot of their lyrics seem to be basically negative in tone, and I don't like that. I like happy, silly stuff like my man Zappa. It's an even bigger issue with IQ, yes. TD was starting to put me to sleep when I listened to them lol. Maybe I should try meditating to it. Anyway, thanks again. Really good post. 
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 20:03
^ My pleasure. Since you mention Zappa, let me randomly suggest you to check out Samla Mammas Manna. Quite similar to Zappa both musically and humouristically, you should dig them.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 20:10

Edited by YESESIS - December 11 2017 at 20:13
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 20:12
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

^ My pleasure. Since you mention Zappa, let me randomly suggest you to check out Samla Mammas Manna. Quite similar to Zappa both musically and humouristically, you should dig them.

Well if they have his sense of humor and are even close to the musical geniuses that he is.. then I love them already lol. Thanks for the suggestion. Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 20:24
I know very little TD and IQ, just one album, but VDGG are really a prog legend, so I guess it should be them. What is it that you have heard and not liked... or disliked less (or perhaps something you have actually liked). If now whole album had done the trick for you, then perhaps some songs? My particular list of very very favourite songs are: Darkness, Man-Erg, A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers (first 10 1/2 min), The Sleepwalkers, La Rossa. And perhaps the very best songs to try to warm up to them would be Darkness and Refugees. Now, on an off-topic recommendation, since you already have had some time to get into Neal Morse (surely much more than myself), if you haven't, you should really check out Big Big Train (from Underfall Yard until now, very specially the English Electric albums), they are really great, warm, positive, etc, with a very Genesis-like pastoral (and symphonic) feel (but without the trademark Gabriel theatrics).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 20:37
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

lmao. This is helpful thanks. My issue with VDGG is that(from what I've heard from them) a lot of their lyrics seem to be basically negative in tone, and I don't like that. I like happy, silly stuff like my man Zappa. It's an even bigger issue with IQ, yes. TD was starting to put me to sleep when I listened to them lol. Maybe I should try meditating to it. Anyway, thanks again. Really good post. 

Try meditating to this:

Anyway, I love both VdGG, especially for, as I've said before, The Least we Can Do Is Wave to Eachother -- I find Refugees and Out of My Book lovely, and I love TD. That said, I vote for TD. I used to only really love the first four albums by TD and the, I think really excellent Ricochet which I recommend you close your eyes to and give a spin at some time, but I've grown to like far more by the act.

Hopefully you will come up with a VdGG songlist that you like (was going to suggest that too) even if you don't like full albums.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 21:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I know very little TD and IQ, just one album, but VDGG are really a prog legend, so I guess it should be them. What is it that you have heard and not liked... or disliked less (or perhaps something you have actually liked). If now whole album had done the trick for you, then perhaps some songs? My particular list of very very favourite songs are: Darkness, Man-Erg, A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers (first 10 1/2 min), The Sleepwalkers, La Rossa. And perhaps the very best songs to try to warm up to them would be Darkness and Refugees. Now, on an off-topic recommendation, since you already have had some time to get into Neal Morse (surely much more than myself), if you haven't, you should really check out Big Big Train (from Underfall Yard until now, very specially the English Electric albums), they are really great, warm, positive, etc, with a very Genesis-like pastoral (and symphonic) feel (but without the trademark Gabriel theatrics).

Thanks for the suggestions man. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 22:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Try meditating to this:

Anyway, I love both VdGG, especially for, as I've said before, The Least we Can Do Is Wave to Eachother -- I find Refugees and Out of My Book lovely, and I love TD. That said, I vote for TD. I used to only really love the first four albums by TD and the, I think really excellent Ricochet which I recommend you close your eyes to and give a spin at some time, but I've grown to like far more by the act.

Hopefully you will come up with a VdGG songlist that you like (was going to suggest that too) even if you don't like full albums.

Geez you really do know your stuff, that song was wonderful for meditating. And I may have to try VdGG again, there's at least hope for them lol. King Crimson, IQ, Opeth.. I don't think so. Magma I want to like, but oh well. And this Tangerine Dream, if they have more stuff like THAT... I'm so in. Thank you for posting that. 

I'll have to listen to Ricochet album some time. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 22:27
Glad you liked it.

Some others you might enjoy:

Silver Scale

Valley of the Sun (this is representative of the kind of music I used to be really big on).

Tangerine Dream - Horizon from 1983 (picks up into the track):

Edited by Logan - December 11 2017 at 22:28
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 04:00
It's got to be TD! I believe the band has something for everyone, you just have to find it in their massive discography :P Looks like Greg pointed you to the right direction though.

I didn't like any VdGG until a few months ago and none of the top rated albums did it for me, but "The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome" and "Vital" did.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 04:50
All of these bands have some good albums. My favourite of these is Van der Graaf Generator nowadays. Peter Hammill's vocals are an acquired taste.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 05:37
Van der Graaf Generator and IQ
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 07:13
I love TD  ....  but I love different albums than Logan does...  :)

Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet  ...    Amazing

Prog On!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 08:19
VDGG get my vote!

I love some Tangerine Dream (notably around the Rubicon era)

IQ I can take or leave these days. Not a big neo fan, althogh I've seen them a few times and they're a great live act.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 08:26
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

I love TD  ....  but I love different albums than Logan does...  :)

Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet  ...    Amazing

I mentioned loving Ricochet before, but it was a sloppily composed sentence. I used to be particularly into the pre-Phaedra albums, but I now love all of those albums you mentioned and more. While not the first I heard, Phaedra was the first TD album I bought, but the band really clicked for me while in my mid-2000s Prog phase when I got Electronic Meditation, then Alpha Centauri, and then Aten. Zeit took a little longer to fully appreciate. Ricochet I loved on first spin, but it was a later acquisition. Nowadays I like all of the 70s studio albums considerably and I enjoy various 80s ones too. As Samuel mentions, it's a massive discography and there's pretty much something for every taste. I've grown to appreciate various TD "phases" and still have a lot of music by the band to explore. There are various live and compilation albums that I want to get. In the late 80s through 90s, late 70s through 80s TD would have been more my style than the early albums as I was very into such stuff then.

Edited by Logan - December 12 2017 at 08:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>