33 [49.25%]
12 [17.91%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 09:21
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

My issue with VDGG is that(from what I've heard from them) a lot of their lyrics seem to be basically negative in tone, and I don't like that.

I voted VDGG because they've always been in my top 3 fave bands...but your appraisal of the lyrics is definitely a thing with both VDGG and Hammill solo albums.  I'm not sure though that I'd say the lyrics themselves are negative in tone so much as they approach negative topics.  It's tough to sing about the inquisition in a way to bring a smile.  You have to be in the right frame of mind to dive into the lyrics to White Hammer, Still Life, Emporer in his War Room, Patient, etc...on the other hand, one listen a day to Aerosol Grey Machine or Sunshine is enough to cheer me up for hours LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - December 12 2017 at 09:23
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 09:36
VDGG.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 10:04
I never heard anything from Tangerine Dream that has impressed me. Which is why I never waded further into their catalog. Which I might try, thanks to this thread. 

I like IQ, and they're doing great work right now. But if you can acquire the appreciation of Hammil's vocal, VdGG is quite the more central figure in Prog. 

However, if you don't like negative lyrics, then perhaps it's just not your thing. 
-John
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 12:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I mentioned loving Ricochet before, but it was a sloppily composed sentence. I used to be particularly into the pre-Phaedra albums, but I now love all of those albums you mentioned and more. While not the first I heard, Phaedra was the first TD album I bought, but the band really clicked for me while in my mid-2000s Prog phase when I got Electronic Meditation, then Alpha Centauri, and then Aten. Zeit took a little longer to fully appreciate. Ricochet I loved on first spin, but it was a later acquisition. Nowadays I like all of the 70s studio albums considerably and I enjoy various 80s ones too. As Samuel mentions, it's a massive discography and there's pretty much something for every taste. I've grown to appreciate various TD "phases" and still have a lot of music by the band to explore. There are various live and compilation albums that I want to get. In the late 80s through 90s, late 70s through 80s TD would have been more my style than the early albums as I was very into such stuff then.

As a TD fanboy since '85, that statement cannot be more true! TD's run the gamut from acid-psych to e-prog to film score. They even flirted with symph on Cyclone. I finally settled on my fave "years" as 1973-89, beginning with the appearance of the beloved Froese-Franke-Baumann on Atem, all the way down to Miracle Mile, their last truly great film soundtrack (which is a better "album," IMO, than either Optical Race (1989) or Lily On The Beach (1989). My fave line-up is Franke-Froese-Schmoelling (1980-85, from Pergamon/Quichotte through Le Parc, and the Froese/Schmoelling record Kyoto).

P.S. Miracle Mile was recently remastered and reissued as a 2CD with bonus material.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 12:32
Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

I never heard anything from Tangerine Dream that has impressed me.

Which albums did you hear?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 15:07
Tangerine Dream and VDGG are certainly classic progressive music; though might be a little difficult to get into them, it's quite worth it. IQ's music is more tamed compared to them, though many prog fans tend to think they are a great band. 
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 15:49
I love all 3 bands..  IMHO TD got a little boring after 2000.  I've collected 50 odd cd's before that period and they came out with some stunning albums.

VDGG have also had their up and downs with their album too.

My vote vote goes to IQ,  always fresh and never a dull album.  All unique and different,  which is what I like in most bands..Wink
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 16:01
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

I love all 3 bands..  IMHO TD got a little boring after 2000.  I've collected 50 odd cd's before that period and they came out with some stunning albums.

My vote vote goes to IQ,  always fresh and never a dull album.  All unique and different,  which is what I like in most bands..Wink

If that's your criteria then you should listen to Wishbone Ash, they fit that to a tee imo. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 16:03
IQ are one of my favourite bands but I do think some of their albums are a bit overated especially Dark Matter. The last couple have been really good. If you try Road Of Bones make sure its the 2 disc edition while Frequency has the superb drumming of Andy Edwards and is possibly their most dynamic album. Although I like Ever a lot I wouldn't start with that at all as it is one of those slow burners.

VDGG I am becoming a lot more fond of. Godbluff has to be the best one to start with and not Pawn Hearts although I really like both.

Tangerine Dream? - well I became a fan of their eighties stuff and not the much vaunted seventies ambient releases. However that said Ricochet is a perfect balance between what they started off being and what they were to become. I would start with that or the very 'proggy' Force Majeure which is very easy to enjoy. If you don't like either of those then give up straight away!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 16:04

Glad you liked it.

Some others you might enjoy:

Silver Scale

Valley of the Sun (this is representative of the kind of music I used to be really big on).

Tangerine Dream - Horizon from 1983 (picks up into the track):

I just listened to all three of these and liked the first two a ton. The third one was a tad boring for stretches but definitely had it's moments as well. Many thanks, I may have found my perfect band to meditate to!  
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 16:23
Thank you all for your input here, it's really helping make this decision.  
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 16:36
IQ are absolutely brilliant.

The other two are completely without interest to me, but VDGG might be if it wasn't for the vocals.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 16:57
Yeah, of the instrumentals, I always loved Theme One:

Just a fanboy passin' through.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 16:59

If that's your criteria then you should listen to Wishbone Ash, they fit that to a tee imo. 

I have all Wishbone Ash's music.  That's not the point of this thread!...Wink
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 17:41

I have all Wishbone Ash's music.  That's not the point of this thread!...Wink

Oh, you're who decides what the point of this thread is lol. Ok my mistake then. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 17:42

Yeah, of the instrumentals, I always loved Theme One:

That was actually really good, thanks! 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 17:51
Glad you like it. I like the upbeatness of it. I'd quite like to make a CD mix with that, Peaches en Regalia, and various other music at some time.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 17:56

Glad you like it. I like the upbeatness of it. I'd quite like to make a CD mix with that, Peaches en Regalia, and various other music at some time.

I have no doubt that you could make one heck of a "Greatest Hits of Prog" CD. Most likely spill over into being a double cd(even triple or quadruple lol). 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 18:10
Tangerine Dream easily for me.  And "Cloudburst Flight" has to be one of my top 20 tracks of all time
VDGG is just not my thing.  And I just don't think IQ are good at all
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 18:49
I voted for IQ but it's your ears doing the listening, not mine or anybody else's.  Each of these bands deserve some attention but that does not mean you have to like them.  There are enough other bands and artists out there that you don't have to waste your time listening to something that you do not enjoy.  And this does not mean you find them lousy bands.  For example, I do not particularly enjoy VDGG but I am very impressed with their musicianship.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>