33 [49.25%]
12 [17.91%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2017 at 17:28
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

I second that emotion.  It's difficult to conceive of the Samlas (or spinoff Von Zamla) failing to cheer anyone up.  The humor is both in the lyrics and in the melodies/arrangements, as Larkstongue41 sez.  Also along those lines, although very hard to find these days, is Dr. Dopo Jam, a Danish band from the early '70s.  Both of their 1st 2 albums (Entrée & Fat Dogs and Danishmen) are outstanding.  Their 3rd (Cruisin' at Midnight) appears to have been recorded subsequent to a humorectomy.

I voted for VdGG, but don't sweat it if you can't get into them.  Not everyone can like everything.  I've never really appreciated TD, for instance.  Peter's lyrics are certainly gloomy, but that doesn't bother me since I can be such an existential nihilist at times that I make Nietzsche look like Barney the Purple Dinosaur.  Peter's voice, as has been mentioned, can also be an acquired taste.  I acquired it about as fast as I acquired a taste for Dove ice cream bars, but he's been accused of sounding histrionic and that isn't entirely unjust.  I like that you're willing to keep trying, but if it doesn't work move on.  There's more stuff around to love than any of us will ever have time for.

Yeah that's a good point. I already listen to a lot of my man Frank, Wishbone Ash, Gentle Giant, Classic Genesis, Yes.. 

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2017 at 17:36
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm not... well, I do am Catholic... but mostly in name. I have become distanced from practicing and all, and many things that the church proclaims rather bother me. However, I do try to stay away from music with satanic references... or in general evil ones. In the case of King Crimson, I don't think they were satanic... but there may be a few awkward things going on. In the case of Opeth, I think Akerfeldt does have an interest to such themes... but the one that really takes things to another level is Therion (even their name is greek for "Beast"), since the guy that writes their lyrics is leader to an occultist magical order (Dragon Rouge)... and it's a pity, since their music is rather great. For such bands, I try to find the songs that don't get into such themes, though.

Well I think Catholicism tends to be kind of strict. I'm Episcopalian myself, which is way more relaxed and even(at least the churches I've been to) tolerant of gay marriage, etc. But certainly you can have a personal relationship with God, without religion though. In a lot of ways it's probably better even. 

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2017 at 19:24
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Tangerine Dream easily for me.  And "Cloudburst Flight" has to be one of my top 20 tracks of all time
VDGG is just not my thing.  And I just don't think IQ are good at all

I'm not a big TD fan, but Cloudburst Flight and all of Phaedra are amazing Clap

hmm does this mean I should give Phaedra another chance, or is it as completely different from Cloudburst Flight as I think it is? Wink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2017 at 01:42

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Tangerine Dream easily for me.  And "Cloudburst Flight" has to be one of my top 20 tracks of all time
VDGG is just not my thing.  And I just don't think IQ are good at all

I'm not a big TD fan, but Cloudburst Flight and all of Phaedra are amazing Clap

hmm does this mean I should give Phaedra another chance, or is it as completely different from Cloudburst Flight as I think it is? Wink

Phaedra is somewhat like Rubycon (its follow-up), both album being the passage from the very dark and difficult Zeit and Atem towards the much easier period from Rocochet until Force Majeure.

In some ways, the difference between Zeit and Rubycon is the addition of sequencers adding the idea of rhythm, but you're still a fair distance from the "easyness" of Force or Cyclone.

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 03:50
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

All of these bands have some good albums. My favourite of these is Van der Graaf Generator nowadays. Peter Hammill's vocals are an acquired taste.

Couldn't have put it better. Some good. Some of the good is outstanding. Some not so good.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 12:18
Depends on my mood.

Tangerine today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234