7 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Beach Boys vs Chicago
    Posted: December 13 2017 at 14:29
Two of the most loved and respected units in American popular music and rock musics history. Spessial place both for the lovers of musicianship and for regular likers of music.Pretty ambitous bands whom have lots of heart, guts and passion for music, showbuis and melody. Be it the genious of Brian Wilson and Robert Lamm.

similar in ambition to Creedence Clairwater Revival vs Eagles poll

Edited by Icarium - December 13 2017 at 14:31
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 15:07
Hmmm. I'd say Pet Sounds is better than anything Chicago ever did but it's the only worthwhile Beach Boys record whereas Chicago has at least three excellent albums (I, II, VII) so Chicago it is.

I think this poll should be in the prog category btw Wink.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 15:13
I like both bands quite a lot, and both bands are in my top 25 bands listened to in the last 10 years.  I've seen both bands like multiple times.  As much as I do like the Beach Boys, my vote was for Chicago.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 15:16
I liked Chicago Transit Authority and Pet Sounds, but I haven't explored either enough to feel comfortable voting in this poll.

theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 15:18
Brian Wilson is God.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 16:37
Don't play either much - but I respect the legacy of the Beach Boys and Pet Sounds/Good Vibrations takes some beating for the time!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 16:53
I grew up in the era of both bands but the edge that Chicago brought in their first three albums caught every one I knew by complete surprise.  The Beach boys could bring it but Terry Kath kicked your teeth out of your mouth album after album.  For that they get my vote.

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2017 at 03:25
All I'll get in response is "Huh! You don't even know him!" but I think Mike Love is the biggest prick, as in context of a****le in music.
Despite that, Beach Boys over Chicago. Chicago may have the suites but Beach Boys had the better sweets for a while post Pet Sounds.
Plus If You Leave Me Now is nowhere near a terrible Brian Wilson song.
It would be interesting if Chicago had the family circumstances the Beach Boys had and vice versa. Although that's impossible due to members of a family being in one of the two bands.
Sorry to lower the taste of this great thread, but seriously f**k Mike Love.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2017 at 08:39
Honestly, don't care for any of the two.

But to be honest, Beach Boys is an icon of an era, Chicago is nothing special.

I always ask myself a couple questions:

a) If Beach Boys never existed, would rock been affected?

Yes of course

b) If Chicago never existed, would rock been affected?

Not at all. 

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 14 2017 at 09:00

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2017 at 15:54
What Ivan said--though I have key tracks from each.
My top tracks from each:
BB: Sloop John B
CTA: Saturday in the Park

Of course, each has other strong tracks. But as Ivan implies, in terms of fanbase and importance to rock history, the Beach Boys were almost akin to an American Beatles. They get my vote, despite much of their stuff now sounding dated and cutesy-clean.

And Chicago released a lot of gawd-awful top 40 dreck after their early work. They lost all credibility for me. The Beach Boys, in contrast, had a "safe" image and wrote radio-friendly hits from the start (with a lot of inventiveness on the deeper tracks). Thus, they did not alienate their fanbase in a blatant quest for money by playing to the lowest common denominator.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2017 at 16:37
It's important to note that the Beach Boys started in 61, versus Chicago in 67.
The Beatles listened to new Beach Boys albums with some trepidation-- the American outfit were serious competition and innovators. Who was listening to Chicago that way? Yes, they were early American blenders of jazz into rock, but not alone in that, and not the first. I think most rock fans who were led to jazz got there through the route I took: less The Doors, Blood Sweat and Tears, Santana, and Chicago than Miles Davis, Return to Forever, John McLaughlin, etc.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2017 at 19:45
.........my 2 bobs worth - I used to like the BB when I was young, not so much these days. I never liked Chicago when I was young, but love ‘em now (everything from CTA - 17, I even have one with Jason Scheff on it, 19 ).
Pete Cetera is a much more proficient bassist than Brian Wilson could ever be.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 08:31
Chicago for me.  Other than the electro-theremin in Good Vibrations, I've never liked anything by the BB's...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 10:29
i feel Robert Lamb is quite underrated as a composer and glue in the music business
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 08:23
Chicago................as someone else said other than Pet Sounds and a few tracks on other albums the Boys didn't impress me much in the old days.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 09:06
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

i feel Robert Lamb is quite underrated as a composer and glue in the music business

Glue more commonly comes from a horse than a lamb. Poor joke per usual. I don't know how underrated he is, but I certainly don't think he's a household name. I didn't know who he was, did a google search and came up with a bunch of other Robert Lamb[s], and, fancifully speaking, a story on a man who robbed a lamb curry (an eat and run restaurant incident). And Rob's Lamb Curry Pie recipe looks delicious. Oh, adding composer to the search, I see that there is jazz trombonist and composer called Robert Lamb from Ireland who has worked with the BBC. Oh, a Robert Lamm result came up for the keyboardist of Chicago (an erroneous spell-check correct perhaps -- it happens to me sometimes). My curiosity being piqued by you (I find that the best posts commonly do make one wish to investigate further), I wanted to get to know more about Robert Lamm as I hadn't remembered the name. According to IMDB's description, he is a "Legendary vocalist and keyboardist...." So he's a bit like the King Arthur of the music world, just not nearly as famous as the likes of King Arthur (and there's far more evidence that Lamm is not fictitious). Of course the bio writer mean legendary in the merely famous sense, so I guess he is more famous, at least amongst devotees of certain types of music, then I knew.

Have you heard his "solo" albums? https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/robert_lamm

I'm listening to some music off his Skinny Boy album on youtube and enjoying it. This is a terrible post that needs editing down (comes across as sarcastic when I don't even like sarcasm), but I have to go off to work. I know I'm going to regret posting this ramble later, but I did put a fair amount of time into googling and exploring his music.
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 09:46
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Glue more commonly comes from a horse than a lamb. Poor joke per usual. I don't know how underrated he is, but I certainly don't think he's a household name. I didn't know who he was, did a google search and came up with a bunch of other Robert Lamb[s], and, fancifully speaking, a story on a man who robbed a lamb curry (an eat and run restaurant incident). And Rob's Lamb Curry Pie recipe looks delicious. Oh, adding composer to the search, I see that there is jazz trombonist and composer called Robert Lamb from Ireland who has worked with the BBC. Oh, a Robert Lamm result came up for the keyboardist of Chicago (an erroneous spell-check correct perhaps -- it happens to me sometimes). My curiosity being piqued by you (I find that the best posts commonly do make one wish to investigate further), I wanted to get to know more about Robert Lamm as I hadn't remembered the name. According to IMDB's description, he is a "Legendary vocalist and keyboardist...." So he's a bit like the King Arthur of the music world, just not nearly as famous as the likes of King Arthur (and there's far more evidence that Lamm is not fictitious). Of course the bio writer mean legendary in the merely famous sense, so I guess he is more famous, at least amongst devotees of certain types of music, then I knew.

Have you heard his "solo" albums? https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/robert_lamm

I'm listening to some music off his Skinny Boy album on youtube and enjoying it. This is a terrible post that needs editing down (comes across as sarcastic when I don't even like sarcasm), but I have to go off to work. I know I'm going to regret posting this ramble later, but I did put a fair amount of time into googling and exploring his music.

I have not checked hes solo output, but i like hes voice so i should. Him and James Pankow are the bosses in the band.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 20:17
Always been a Chicago fan but imho they sorely miss Terry Kath who provided brilliant guitar work, solid songwriting,  and gruff bluesy vocals....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 03:00
No one guitarist measured up to Kath in Chicago. No one bassist measured up to Pete either.   And they kind of lost their way after their BRILLIANT VII album. Just my opinion......
 Post Reply Post Reply