Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLarks' Tongues in Aspic vs Relayer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which do you prefer? Larks' Tongues in Aspic or Relayer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [54.22%]
34 [40.96%]
1 [1.20%]
3 [3.61%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larks' Tongues in Aspic vs Relayer
    Posted: January 18 2018 at 13:08
Both are definite masterpieces of prog. I'd be hard pressed to list 10 bands with ANY album approaching lofty heights of Relayer or Larks' Tongues in Aspic. Today I'll vote for Larks', but it's not a definite answer.
Very close battle imho, good job OP.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 06:26
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Larks. Still the most musically eye-opening experience I've ever hfad.

Really? Me too! (Except it was Relayer)
Z
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 18:18
Probably Larks. Not crazy about either though.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 17:51
Relayer.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 17:50
Holy thread-jack, Batman!   
Stick with the tour, dudes.

Edited by Peter - December 19 2017 at 17:52
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 17:14
^Actually, FYI, down at the bottom of the PA home page the day's birthdays are presented.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 15:00
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ It works correctly, it's calculated from the date of birth.

Well then it must automatically update every time you have a birthday(something I wasn't aware of).
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 12:12
I'll take both.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 10:34
^ It works correctly, it's calculated from the date of birth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 10:14

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

So if you don't mind me asking how old are you and how did you first discover prog and get into it(what bands etc)?
It's on my profile, I'm 23. I already liked the proggier stuff from Led Zeppelin and The Beatles but the first real Prog bands (according to PA) I got into were Pink Floyd, Supertramp and Yes in 2011. I only discovered the term Prog the next year while searching about José Cid's "10.000 Anos Depois..." and found out this site, although I didn't fully realize the gold mine I found until I signed up in 2013 Tongue

Well, I don't think the age on someone's profile is automatically updated(although I could be wrong)so I could assume that you are around 27 now since you joined in 2013. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 07:28

So if you don't mind me asking how old are you and how did you first discover prog and get into it(what bands etc)?
It's on my profile, I'm 23. I already liked the proggier stuff from Led Zeppelin and The Beatles but the first real Prog bands (according to PA) I got into were Pink Floyd, Supertramp and Yes in 2011. I only discovered the term Prog the next year while searching about José Cid's "10.000 Anos Depois..." and found out this site, although I didn't fully realize the gold mine I found until I signed up in 2013 Tongue
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 07:13
Tongues... 
Like Relayer, but not my favorite by them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 07:11

I had to think about that for a second since Bruford has played with both bands. Wink

Did you know that Bill Bruford also played on Chris Squire's "Fish out of Water" album?
Bruford and Squire's rhythmic duo is what I like the most about Yes so I'm not very enthusiastic about anything after CTTE. I even prefer TAAW to Relayer Tongue

Yeah, a glaring omission in my collection Embarrassed

As much as it disappoints me, the truth is that Yes and Genesis are no longer the gateway bands for those getting into prog for the first time. Sure, for some maybe but not for the majority of the younger prog fans. It wasn't like this for a long time but Yes and most of the other classic seventies prog bands(with the exception of PF and maybe KC; Rush too but they weren't really part of the original prog wave in most respects)have been buried underneath all the prog metal and newer prog stuff(including post rock)that gets more recognition and attention these days. Ultimately, most people(especially younger folks)are social creatures and will gravitate towards what their friends like and what their friends think is hip and cool. If liking ELP and Yes and Genesis isn't cool or hip then they are out as far as prog goes. Most of the fans on this forum though go deeper and are a bit more open minded and hardcore so don't really make up the typical prog fans(same thing for some of the other prog sites and fb groups). Most of the general discussion boards though like reddit and all the gamer ones and general music forums that have prog mentioned or a special little prog section seem to get responses mostly from the young hipster prog fans who are in love with Riverside, Haken and Opeth but don't have any PG era Genesis or Yes albums or more obscure vintage albums. 
Speaking as someone who got into Prog in this decade (although I don't like Metal much), what kept me from getting into bands like PF, Genesis or Yes was listening to their 80's hits on the radio. That's the uncool stuff! It took some incentive to explore more from them, respectively: seeing The Australian Pink Floyd, listening to Firth of Fifth on a web radio, seeing Roger Dean's artwork (as part of Fly From Here's promotion) and wondering how was the music behind it Wink I never even heard of King Crimson until ITCOTCK was suggested by Youtube Tongue

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 06:36

I had to think about that for a second since Bruford has played with both bands. Wink

Did you know that Bill Bruford also played on Chris Squire's "Fish out of Water" album?
Bruford and Squire's rhythmic duo is what I like the most about Yes so I'm not very enthusiastic about anything after CTTE. I even prefer TAAW to Relayer Tongue

Yeah, a glaring omission in my collection Embarrassed

As much as it disappoints me, the truth is that Yes and Genesis are no longer the gateway bands for those getting into prog for the first time. Sure, for some maybe but not for the majority of the younger prog fans. It wasn't like this for a long time but Yes and most of the other classic seventies prog bands(with the exception of PF and maybe KC; Rush too but they weren't really part of the original prog wave in most respects)have been buried underneath all the prog metal and newer prog stuff(including post rock)that gets more recognition and attention these days. Ultimately, most people(especially younger folks)are social creatures and will gravitate towards what their friends like and what their friends think is hip and cool. If liking ELP and Yes and Genesis isn't cool or hip then they are out as far as prog goes. Most of the fans on this forum though go deeper and are a bit more open minded and hardcore so don't really make up the typical prog fans(same thing for some of the other prog sites and fb groups). Most of the general discussion boards though like reddit and all the gamer ones and general music forums that have prog mentioned or a special little prog section seem to get responses mostly from the young hipster prog fans who are in love with Riverside, Haken and Opeth but don't have any PG era Genesis or Yes albums or more obscure vintage albums. 
Speaking as someone who got into Prog in this decade (although I don't like Metal much), what kept me from getting into bands like PF, Genesis or Yes was listening to their 80's hits on the radio. That's the uncool stuff! It took some incentive to explore more from them, respectively: seeing The Australian Pink Floyd, listening to Firth of Fifth on a web radio, seeing Roger Dean's artwork (as part of Fly From Here's promotion) and wondering how was the music behind it Wink I never even heard of King Crimson until ITCOTCK was suggested by Youtube Tongue
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 04:43
I'm not really sure on what basis we're comparing these two particular albums, other than simple personal preference. I just prefer LARKS' TONGUES. I've always found RELAYER, like TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS, a little too labor intensive.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 02:56
To me it seems Beatles, Stones (not after Tattoo You Stones) The Who before Tommy, Kinks, Hendrix, King Crimson, Velvet Underground, Stooges, Bowie, Lou Reed, Brian Eno are the ones that are still respected at least in those hipster circles. Not much anything else from the 60-70ies. Of course it´s great people listen even those.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2017 at 22:57
Yeah the Beatles seem to be oddly popular among young people I've noticed. But that's probably not going to change any time soon, or ever lol. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2017 at 22:45
I think it´s not just prog music. I think there has been tendency going on that only some of the really great artists of sixties and seventies are truly great and on the other hand many artists of 2000 that doing something that has done before are much greater than some old ones. For example I have met people who seriously claims that Tommy is awful (also Who´s next, Quadrophenia). It seems to me people are thinking new music is automatically something you have to listen (that you belong to the group of hip people) and it´s not important do you know much about old music. Sure prog music commonly is not hip and cool today. But of course I have met also some young music listeners who are really excited about Hendrix, Beatles etc.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2017 at 21:10

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that King Crimson is much more popular among younger fans these days than Yes is? I'm not just saying that because of this poll. It's just a feeling I get in general. Yes are not seen as cool anymore it seems.

You'd be surprised, actually...

I wouldn't say that either band necessarily has any "mainstream" popularity among young people, but among the other young prog fans I know, they're both very well respected. And then there are some young people who love Yes but don't even necessarily know King Crimson (and vice versa, mind you). I was actually at a college party a few months ago and met two or three other students there who were super into 70's Yes (we debated for quite a bit at whether The Yes Album or Fragile was better and eventually hijacked the party playlist to put on Yours Is No Disgrace). Good times. 

So I wouldn't say that King Crimson is much more popular among young people than King Crimson is, but then again neither is especially popular in the first place.

Well, I don't know where you live but it doesn't seem to be that way in the US. I would love to be proven wrong but in the US at least it seems most younger people into prog are into prog metal and or other newer bands and not much into Yes(this site would be an exception of course). What is my basis for saying this? Well, I have spent time on prog facebook gruops, Yes facebook groups and on their fan site and there seems to be hardly anyone in any of them under 45. So maybe only the hardcore fans are older. I'm not sure. You are right that over all they aren't that known but in my opinion Yes seems to be far more under rated and under appreciated than they should be by younger fans(at least in the US). Just my opinion based on my observation. I think KC has some kind of street cred or hipster respect that Yes doesn't. If you look on the rate your music site which is probably mostly younger people ITCOTCK has 18,000 ratings where CTTE "only" has 12,000.

This was just north of the border, though the people I was talking to were actually American (from Colorado). But I definitely agree with you that, statistically speaking, Yes is something of an obscurity among us young'uns; even those of us into prog. Although pretty much every young prog fan I've met in real life has been into 70's prog, I've definitely also noticed the prog metal fixation from browsing other online music sites. I'm sure if you asked the average millennial what they knew about prog, the most common response would definitely be "what?", which would then be followed by "you mean like Pink Floyd?", which would then be followed by "Yeah, I love Dream Theater, Between The Buried and Me, [insert more prog metal bands here], Porcupine Tree, and Rush!", and then way down there on the outer tail of the bell curve you'd have those like myself who are actually into Yes, King Crimson, et al.

With that in mind, though, it seems to me that of the young people who frequent this forum, we do tend to be biased slightly more towards the jazz/avant/experimental side of things than the symphonic prog of yore, but there are still plenty of us who admire the classics. That said, I don't think that we make up a big enough fraction of forum-goers for this to have any significant sway on the outcome of polls like this one.

I'm not sure about Yes and Genesis are really so underapreciated yet, but mostly my connection to prog is through this site, and so this are the opinions I know about prog. However, if it's true that newer prog fans get to know the genre because of newer bands instead of the classic, even though I may not really like it, and still think those classics have that special something that has been lost (mostly) by newer bands, it's actually better for the genre to prosper (to whatever degree it does) because of the newer bands than because of the old ones... that means the genre is alive and healthy, and is not just a nostalgia thing that will die once the original fans and bands are gone and there's no one to spread the word anymore.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2017 at 15:55

I've just read something that... I can't even. Just look away.. just look away!! Cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>