Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLarks' Tongues in Aspic vs Relayer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which do you prefer? Larks' Tongues in Aspic or Relayer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [54.22%]
34 [40.96%]
1 [1.20%]
3 [3.61%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 16:41
Am I correct in assuming that King Crimson is much more popular among younger fans these days than Yes is? I'm not just saying that because of this poll. It's just a feeling I get in general. Yes are not seen as cool anymore it seems.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 17:00
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that King Crimson is much more popular among younger fans these days than Yes is? I'm not just saying that because of this poll. It's just a feeling I get in general. Yes are not seen as cool anymore it seems.

Does this thread look familiar to you? http://progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110484

All hope is not lost fellow Yes fans!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 17:41
LTIA, although I love both.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 18:09
I prefer Yes to King Crimson, overall - but have to say that LTIA edges Relayer. Gates of Delirium is great, but still don't think the rest of the album stands up to that track. King Crimson are just doing more on this album (even though I prefer Red).
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 20:05
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Does this thread look familiar to you? http://progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110484

That doesn't mean anything. Lol. Look at all the people who probably only have "Dark Side of the Moon" as the only Pink Floyd album they own. That doesn't make them big Pink Floyd fans. Wink
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 20:08

I am a younger fan.

CTTE is my favorite album by Yes, and between King Crimson and Yes, it ranks just after LTIA. However, then King Crimson take over... I like Yes, but sometimes they can be on the more boring side. That is why I prefer the poppier 90125, for example. I saw Yes live though, and it was very sensational and all!
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 20:20

Does this thread look familiar to you? http://progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110484

That doesn't mean anything. Lol. Look at all the people who probably only have "Dark Side of the Moon" as the only Pink Floyd album they own. That doesn't make them big Pink Floyd fans. Wink

Fair enough, but we're arguably comparing KC's second most popular album (on this site) to what I would tentatively judge to be Yes' third or fourth most popular. 

Granted, KC feels a tad more timeless, where Yes can instantly be placed in the 70's by the high-pitched vocals, quasi-spiritual lyrics, and greater keyboard emphasis. Perhaps KC has that heavy edge that lets them cross over with metal, punk, and alt rock listeners. Nonetheless, Yes is easily going strong (among prog fans; the general public knows little about either group, 80's pop aside).

As for Floyd, they're a unique case. They crossed over in a way that no other prog or experimental act in the 70's did. Little can be extrapolated from their fandom or from just how bizarrely their pre-DSOTM material is forgotten. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 21:17
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Fair enough, but we're arguably comparing KC's second most popular album (on this site) to what I would tentatively judge to be Yes' third or fourth most popular.

Great point.

Put Close to the Edge up against any KC album and watch what happens. Wink
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 21:40

You'd be surprised, actually...

I wouldn't say that either band necessarily has any "mainstream" popularity among young people, but among the other young prog fans I know, they're both very well respected. And then there are some young people who love Yes but don't even necessarily know King Crimson (and vice versa, mind you). I was actually at a college party a few months ago and met two or three other students there who were super into 70's Yes (we debated for quite a bit at whether The Yes Album or Fragile was better and eventually hijacked the party playlist to put on Yours Is No Disgrace). Good times. 

So I wouldn't say that King Crimson is much more popular among young people than King Crimson is, but then again neither is especially popular in the first place.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 22:13
Actually, I'm the one who did this poll (almost) some time ago (with less options)... I don't even remember what I myself voted for... if I voted at all on it. But I find it difficult to vote, since in general I think Larks Tongues is better and more consistent, but Gates of Delirium is for me better than anything on Larks (or almost any other King Crimson song)... yet the rest of Relayer I can't really apreciate as much.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 22:43
I don´t think I am a young anymore...
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 22:44
very different albums----KC sounds cooler but the electronic jazzy orchestration and sheer power of Relayer is breathtaking if you are open to it---I like both but think I've listened to Relayer more.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 08:29
Tough one, but Relayer. If it was Red then I would pick it.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 08:51
Relayer. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 09:26
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I wouldn't say that either band necessarily has any "mainstream" popularity among young people, but among the other young prog fans I know, they're both very well respected. And then there are some young people who love Yes but don't even necessarily know King Crimson (and vice versa, mind you). I was actually at a college party a few months ago and met two or three other students there who were super into 70's Yes (we debated for quite a bit at whether The Yes Album or Fragile was better and eventually hijacked the party playlist to put on Yours Is No Disgrace). Good times. 

So I wouldn't say that King Crimson is much more popular among young people than King Crimson is, but then again neither is especially popular in the first place.

Well, I don't know where you live but it doesn't seem to be that way in the US. I would love to be proven wrong but in the US at least it seems most younger people into prog are into prog metal and or other newer bands and not much into Yes(this site would be an exception of course). What is my basis for saying this? Well, I have spent time on prog facebook gruops, Yes facebook groups and on their fan site and there seems to be hardly anyone in any of them under 45. So maybe only the hardcore fans are older. I'm not sure. You are right that over all they aren't that known but in my opinion Yes seems to be far more under rated and under appreciated than they should be by younger fans(at least in the US). Just my opinion based on my observation. I think KC has some kind of street cred or hipster respect that Yes doesn't. If you look on the rate your music site which is probably mostly younger people ITCOTCK has 18,000 ratings where CTTE "only" has 12,000.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 17 2017 at 09:27
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 09:39
^ From my experience, overexposure to classic rock causes millenials to not care about rock music in general. They see Yes as just another classic rock band although more inventive and ambitious (which is a reason to mock Yes for some, I've seen that) whereas King Crimson is this obscure-sounding band so very different from traditional rock. It's like nothing they've ever heard before. And yes King Crimson does seem to have a certain hipster following although I hate using that term.

So I think it mostly has to do with how much King Crimson is "authentic", "creative" and free of boundaries compared to most well-known prog bands (not to say that this makes them better btw).
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Zugzwang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 09:44

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Well, I don't know where you live but it doesn't seem to be that way in the US. I would love to be proven wrong but in the US at least it seems most younger people into prog are into prog metal and or other newer bands and not much into Yes(this site would be an exception of course). What is my basis for saying this? Well, I have spent time on prog facebook gruops, Yes facebook groups and on their fan site and there seems to be hardly anyone in any of them under 45. So maybe only the hardcore fans are older. I'm not sure. You are right that over all they aren't that known but in my opinion Yes seems to be far more under rated and under appreciated than they should be by younger fans(at least in the US). Just my opinion based on my observation. I think KC has some kind of street cred or hipster respect that Yes doesn't. If you look on the rate your music site which is probably mostly younger people ITCOTCK has 18,000 ratings where CTTE "only" has 12,000.

In my personal experience, people are way more interested in modern djent/prog metal than anything from the 70s
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 10:02
I like both, but Lark's Tongues is the deeper, more ground-breaking, important album.
My favourite tracks on each are the most beautiful: Exiles on LTIA and To Be Over, on Relayer.
Those songs are absolutely essential to me!
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 11:16
Larks, no doubt.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 12:12
Somewhat against the stream of things I prefer KC to Yes but Relayer to LTIA.
Relayer is Yes's best for me whereas I find about 5 KC albums I'd rank before LTIA, which still is a fine album of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>