Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs prog music for the males?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is prog music for the males?
    Posted: December 18 2017 at 23:01
I donīt know has this issue here before. Anyway I havenīt got any female friend who is even near as much into prog music as I. I donīt know any progband where is just females (well not much really great rock bands either, at the moment only the Raincoats come into my mind, yes, I know L7, but itīs not really great to me). There are of course great vocalists for example in Renaissance, also female vocalists like Kate Bush, but anyway is prog commonly music for the males? Are there for example much female members in this forum?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 02:19
Oh no not this again...

Do yourself a favour and use the search function. You'll see this subject having been discussed to death and back. Seems that we have at least one or two of these each year. Always ends up with the same results: some know female prog fans whilst others don't. Mostly though these threads consist of overly analytical men trying to shoehorn a theory via semi-philosophical generalisations about women.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 02:24
Prog Music is for whatever gender enjoys it....
Same goes for Metal......
Music is not designed as ‘gender preference’ though more females may dig Taylor Swift than guys (musically speaking....). Yet, Prog is aimed at whomever chooses to enjoy it............regardless of gender.....
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 02:47
Ok, just found that search button there. I have been in forum where I never understood how to search old issues. But anyway in the first place I really wasnīt going to be one, who say women shouldnīt listen prog music. I think everybody should listen what they want and donīt really think there are music for genders. Also I wasnīt interested to start to generalize womenīs psych, find it naturally ridicilous cause I am man. The issues that I was interested were, is there something on prog music that doesnīt interest women or is it just that all male domination in rock music overall that causes this thing. I havenīt been long here and of course I canīt know gender for the nicknames, but anyway to me it seems thereīs a male domination here as it was the former forum I was. But if you have discussed it lot without any interesting results, we can stop this into this.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 03:42
Longtime female member of this forum here. Been into prog since the age of 11, though my tastes have evolved to encompass a lot of "progressive though not exactly prog" music. Have also written a lot of reviews in the past ten years or so. There are quite a few others like me, many of whom I know personally. And I also lived in Finland for almost 6 years. Lovely country - would go back there tomorrow if I could Smile!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 04:06
Yeah, this subject raises its ugly head several times a year. People do seem to get wound up by it. Prog music is not FOR men, it's for whoever can deal with it and appreciate it, but I'm fairly confident that if you done a head count of everyone on the planet who was into progressive rock, most would be male. I won't make the mistake of trying to fathom out why that is again.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 04:13
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Ok, just found that search button there. I have been in forum where I never understood how to search old issues. But anyway in the first place I really wasnīt going to be one, who say women shouldnīt listen prog music. I think everybody should listen what they want and donīt really think there are music for genders. Also I wasnīt interested to start to generalize womenīs psych, find it naturally ridicilous cause I am man. The issues that I was interested were, is there something on prog music that doesnīt interest women or is it just that all male domination in rock music overall that causes this thing. I havenīt been long here and of course I canīt know gender for the nicknames, but anyway to me it seems thereīs a male domination here as it was the former forum I was. But if you have discussed it lot without any interesting results, we can stop this into this.

I apologise if my previous post came off a little snarly. You couldn't know. I certainly didn't use the search function the first couple of years I was on PA.

It is however a valid observation - just like Blacksword mentions. There are objectively speaking more male prog fans than there are female. Just like there are more female Twilight fans than there are men.

Reasoning? We love different things. I'll keep it at that
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 04:14
Dunno why it’s such a big deal ?????
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 04:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Dunno why it’s such a big deal ?????

(Some) Men like women. (Some) Men listen to prog. (Some) Men want women who listen to prog.....ie why aren't there more of these wonderful beautiful creatures into convoluted keyboard-smorgasbords?

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 04:39
^ Also - and rather more tragically - some men think women are inferior to men and the “fact” that “women don't like [subtext: don't understand] prog” is in some way evidence of this. These chaps are what we in the medical profession call 'silly t0ssers'.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 19 2017 at 04:40
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 04:44
Interestingly, the prog ladies I know - either virtually or in real life - have a wide range of tastes when it comes to our favourite genre. There are those who are into the more melodic stuff, but also those who - like me - enjoy the more experimental manifestations of prog. From what I have been able to see, prog metal seems to draw a lot more women than "traditional", Seventies-style prog does. A few weeks ago my husband and I, together with two friends from NJ (members of an excellent prog band), were at a Devin Townsend gig in Baltimore. Not only were a lot of ladies present, but the audience seemed to span all ages.

On a side note, I have never heard anything by Taylor Swift, nor am I interested in trying any of her music. I generally steer clear of anything overly sentimental or conventionally "feminine", though I do like music to have melody.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 04:56
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Longtime female member of this forum here. Been into prog since the age of 11, though my tastes have evolved to encompass a lot of "progressive though not exactly prog" music. Have also written a lot of reviews in the past ten years or so. There are quite a few others like me, many of whom I know personally. And I also lived in Finland for almost 6 years. Lovely country - would go back there tomorrow if I could Smile!
Have to say at first, really great you are here! As in the next comments we all can see, there are not too many women. Great to hear also you have had connections to Finland. This is beautiful country, but naturally there are also too many terrible things too, as in the all countries in the world. Also, whatīs really interesting, I started to listen prog also maybe age of 10 or 11 (I had heard it a lot earlier, but didnīt really undestand it before that age, it was Pink Floyd that hit me totally that age).

Generally to everyone I donīt quite know why I started this discussion. I think it has something to do with that "me too" -campaign that has been quite recently. Really I want the world go to the direction where everybody can do everything they want to, every man, woman, homosexual, people with different ethnic backgrounds. Also everybody have right to do those things they do without anyone disturbing it in a any way. I think specially rockmusic making really has been too malebased. I am the one, who liked also testosteron rock like old AC/DC, the Pirates, Dr. Feelgood, Motörhead, Metallica. But my world would have been really much emptier, if there have never been artists like Kate Bush, P J Harvey, Björk, Laura Nyro, Sandy Denny, Judy Dyble, Janis Ian, Ani DiFranco, the Raincoats and Nico.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 05:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I apologise if my previous post came off a little snarly. You couldn't know. I certainly didn't use the search function the first couple of years I was on PA.

It is however a valid observation - just like Blacksword mentions. There are objectively speaking more male prog fans than there are female. Just like there are more female Twilight fans than there are men.

Reasoning? We love different things. I'll keep it at that
Itīs ok. I can understand it totally, if the earlier discussions have come into direction "men canīt do this, woman canīt do that". Itīs just great to hear here there are many progwomanfans in the world, I just havenīt found them here Finland. I believe here are them too...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 05:08
Have to say, that I am so much in my own old school music world and not interested most of the new music, so I havenīt got any idea who is Taylor Swift or what kind of music she make.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 05:25

Have to say, that I am so much in my own old school music world and not interested most of the new music, so I havenīt got any idea who is Taylor Swift or what kind of music she make.

At least you know - or guess right - that Taylor Swift is a female. Until four minutes ago, when I looked up her entry on wikipedia, I knew only the name but I had not the slightest idea of its gender. Maybe she appeals more to women, younger or worldly people - I am neither. Anyway, although prog is not intended for men, progmistresses are rare on this side of the silver rainbow Wink.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 06:13
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

At least you know - or guess right - that Taylor Swift is a female. Until four minutes ago, when I looked up her entry on wikipedia, I knew only the name but I had not the slightest idea of its gender. Maybe she appeals more to women, younger or worldly people - I am neither. Anyway, although prog is not intended for men, progmistresses are rare on this side of the silver rainbow Wink.
It was just a quess Tongue. BTW in Finnish language there is no he/she, just one word "hän" meaning both. So you donīt have to quess gender. But I am not saying this country is more equal than others.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 06:23

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

It was just a quess Tongue. BTW in Finnish language there is no he/she, just one word "hän" meaning both. So you donīt have to quess gender. But I am not saying this country is more equal than others.

Ye Finnish are trailblazing on gender neutrality LOL!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 06:32
Largely, I believe so. You don't need to be a statistician to see that the membership here is mostly male. Ditto the composition of most Prog bands.

But individuals will vary and go against the "norms." This is true of many things.
As to the reasons for these broad gender-specific differences in human behaviour and interests, that's complex and often a controversial, passion-laden topic to wade into. Suffice to say that biology, individual genetics, environment, and societal norms and expectations all play a role. Or so I believe.

Edited by Peter - December 19 2017 at 06:33
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 06:48
And Prog is music for NERDS (not REAL men).
I like it.

BTW, I take a pottery class where the students are overwhelmingly female.
But I make a lot of beer mugs.
But I don't watch sports.
But I ride dirt bikes.
But I love a good costume drama, and I've read much Jane Austen by choice.
But I shovel all the snow at home.
But I also wash the dishes.
But I have a beard.
But I am easily moved to tears.
But I don't like wine or coolers--beer is best.
But I am a gardener.
But I grow vegetables and leave the flowers to my wife.

Etc. I am ME. I am not a type or norm. 🙂

Edited by Peter - December 19 2017 at 06:49
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply