FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMount Rushmore of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2017 at 18:13
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Van Der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, and Gentle Giant make up the proverbial Holy Trinity of prog. If it qualifies, then Tangerine Dream rounds out the group to four.

Agreed (especially GG)!

Other winning combinations could include:

Gentle Giant
Yes
Genesis

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis

VDGG
Genesis
Yes

I could go on and on...

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - December 20 2017 at 18:15
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2017 at 18:29
The "Mount Rushmore of Prog" would include four trailblazing individuals, those four would be:
Keith Emerson
Jimi Hendrix
Jon Lord
Robert Fripp
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2017 at 18:41
Wakeman, Hammill, Fripp, and Ian Anderson.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2017 at 20:24
If we are talking individuals for me it might be Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman and Steve Howe or maybe Peter Gabriel, Geddy Lee, Phil Collins(as drummer) and Robert Fripp. You could also substitute some of those with Carl Palmer, Neil Peart, Tony Banks and John Wetton.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 20 2017 at 20:24
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2017 at 20:53
OK, yeah, giving it more thought and reading more replies if we are talking about 4 bands to represent prog, it would have to be: Yes, Genesis, ELP, and King Crimson.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2017 at 23:01
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

OK, yeah, giving it more thought and reading more replies if we are talking about 4 bands to represent prog, it would have to be: Yes, Genesis, ELP, and King Crimson.

I agree, they've probably sold more records than the others (except for Pink Floyd perhaps). 

If we truly want Mt. Rushmore, they should be faces, not bands: 

-Rick Wakeman
-Robert Fripp 
-Peter Gabriel 
-Greg Lake (sorry, I'd say Emerson but we needed some balance)
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 00:16
Every time I think of Mt. Rushmore, all I can see is Deep Purple In Rock
As to whom I’d like to see sculpted into a massive cliff-face -
Peter Hammill
Dave Stewart   ( The Prog one, ha ha)
Mikael Åkerfeldt
Richard Sinclair
David Gilmour
Oh. Did I need to include a drummer ??

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 21 2017 at 00:18
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 05:19
Peter Hammill, Robert Fripp, Frank Zappa and Mani Neumeier. There has to be a representative of Krautrock on the monument

I would actually do it the way Deep Purple did and add a 5th head: Christian Vander.

Edited by BaldFriede - December 21 2017 at 05:48

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 05:53
Instead of Mount Rushmore, why can't we just carve them all along the Rocky Mountains? That should be enough room for every artist on Prog Archives.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 05:57
Including Gentle Giant is perhaps stretching things a bit. GG were never that important or successful back in the 70s yet with the internet they've become prog's equivalent to Nick Drake or Talk Talk; two acts that also 'conquered' the internet well after their active years.

Four heads representant of pork? Has to be Brits. Most prog fans I bump into do not think of Krautrock as prog (nor do I) and most other artists from outside of the UK were either influenced by the Brits or conversely didn't influence the genre in a manner that rivals the daddyos.

Four heads?

Emmo
Fripp
Gabriel
Wakie
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 06:35
The big four are Yes, Genesis, ELP and KC. It might be the obvious pick, but it's entirely justified.

IF we are talking about individuals, I'd say Gabriel, Emerson, Hammill and Fripp. We can save some space for Wakeman as well.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 09:35
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Including Gentle Giant is perhaps stretching things a bit. GG were never that important or successful back in the 70s yet with the internet they've become prog's equivalent to Nick Drake or Talk Talk; two acts that also 'conquered' the internet well after their active years.

Four heads representant of pork? Has to be Brits. Most prog fans I bump into do not think of Krautrock as prog (nor do I) and most other artists from outside of the UK were either influenced by the Brits or conversely didn't influence the genre in a manner that rivals the daddyos.

Four heads?

Emmo
Fripp
Gabriel
Wakie

Regarding your comment about Gentle Giant I actually disagree though because at one point they were as big as Genesis and even had an album that charted higher than they did(Free Hand placed higher on the charts than SEBTP). They also regularly filled concert halls within the 2-5,000 seat range(roughly the same as early Genesis also). No they probably weren't played on the radio much but neither were most prog bands aside from a few of the most well known(JT, PF, Yes, ELP especially). I can assure you they were the next band down after King Crimson in terms of influence and popularity then(and probably even now)so it's not some revisionist thing like you are implying. I see you are only 35 so you obviously weren't around at the time(neither was I but I have spent a lot of time researching this online and also have had discussions with people(on and offline) who are old enough and can assure you they were very important and big in prog circles back then). Also, maybe part of this depends on where you live. I'm referring to the US mostly. Apparently in the UK they were not as big so I can see why someone not from there might think that. Your statement could possibly apply to VDGG but imo not GG.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 21 2017 at 09:43
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 09:45

Sorry chaps, but any mount without Pink Floyd would only be a molehill.

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 10:08
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Four heads?

Emmo
Fripp
Gabriel
Wakie

Regarding your comment about Gentle Giant I actually disagree though because at one point they were as big as Genesis and even had an album that charted higher than they did(Free Hand placed higher on the charts than SEBTP). They also regularly filled concert halls within the 2-5,000 seat range(roughly the same as early Genesis also). No they probably weren't played on the radio much but neither were most prog bands aside from a few of the most well known(JT, PF, Yes, ELP especially). I can assure you they were the next band down after King Crimson in terms of influence and popularity then(and probably even now)so it's not some revisionist thing like you are implying. I see you are only 35 so you obviously weren't around at the time(neither was I but I have spent a lot of time researching this online and also have had discussions with people(on and offline) who are old enough and can assure you they were very important and big in prog circles back then). Also, maybe part of this depends on where you live. I'm referring to the US mostly. Apparently in the UK they were not as big so I can see why someone not from there might think that. Your statement could possibly apply to VDGG but imo not GG.

I too have spoken to quite a few people who were there from the beginning - some I consider very good friends, and their stories on GG do not mirror your's. Then again we're parted by the Atlantic ocean so I guess they could've had more success overseas than here.
But we are talking about mount rushmore - 4 faces to adorn mighty bedrock epitomizing prog rock the genre. Putting anyone from Gentle Giant there over a member of say Yes, Floyd, Crimso, Jethro or Genesis sounds more like playing favourites than an objective look on what happened.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 10:22
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Sorry chaps, but any mount without Pink Floyd would only be a molehill.

I would posit that a moored inflatable pig hovering over Mount Rushmore would enhance that monument, and indeed flying pigs over other notable sites such as the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Eiffel Tower, Buckingham Palace, the Erga Palace in Riyadh (okay, that definitely wouldn't fly, nor would others in my list), the Kremlin, the White House, and Ryongsong Residence in Pyongyang would elevate the structures (not literally). To those who disagree, I don't give a flying fig.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 10:49

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Four heads?

Emmo
Fripp
Gabriel
Wakie

I too have spoken to quite a few people who were there from the beginning - some I consider very good friends, and their stories on GG do not mirror your's. Then again we're parted by the Atlantic ocean so I guess they could've had more success overseas than here.
But we are talking about mount rushmore - 4 faces to adorn mighty bedrock epitomizing prog rock the genre. Putting anyone from Gentle Giant there over a member of say Yes, Floyd, Crimso, Jethro or Genesis sounds more like playing favourites than an objective look on what happened.

I definitely think that's the case. GG were probably much bigger in the US than in the UK. I think I've even heard that GG were not that big in their homeland but that was also the case for other bands as well. But since Mount Rushmore is in the US......;) 

Actually, I wouldn't put GG in the Mount Rushmore either as far as personal preference goes. I think the sum was greater than their parts as far as members go. With Yes, Squire often seems to stand out(although Howe and Wakeman were no slouches either). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 21 2017 at 10:52
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 11:05
If you consider the 'classic eras' of each of them - it has to be the ones who truly shaped prog: Genesis Yes, ELP and King Crimson. Make a bit more room and you could squeeze in Pink Floyd and Rush - although I still consider them less 'prog' than the big 4 overall - as they straddle genres a lot more. I love Jethro Tull - but I think their 'prog' credentials are not always that strong ('Thick as a Brick' excepting) - although a damn fine rock band they definitely are!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 11:25
Usually the top 6 are asked about........I suppose for me it would be King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, and ELP.....though I  might change that to Tull on any given day.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 16:19
My Mount Rushmore would be simply symbolic:

Ian Anderson's codpiece
Rick Wakeman's cape
Robert Fripp's spectacles
Peter Gabriel's old man mask
and floating above it all, Pink Floyd's pig, Algie.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 07:57
^Brilliant!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>