FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMount Rushmore of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 19:24
If its heads only, I'd go:
Daevid Allen, Ian Anderson, Geddy Lee, and perhaps Frans Krassenburg...
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 19:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Genesis
Frank Zappa
Jade Warrior
Focus

Genesis and Zappa, that's right! The other two though.. I don't know ANYTHING about lol. I'll have to run straight to Wikipedia and do some research here. 

Focis is, imo, utterly essential. You might have heard "Hocus Pocus" before on classic rock radio. I love the first four albums, and but both Hamurger Concerto and Moving Waves I think you should check out pronto. It was my favourite band at one time, has exciting, beautiful, majestic and humorous music. Amazing band. I think someone who digs Zappa, Gentle Giant, ELP and various symphonic music could potentially really fall for it. Yeah, I think you need to hear it. I'm playing Moving Waves right now, been too long. and I've called Hamburger Concerto a meaty masterpiece.

Yeah, that Focus Hocus Pocus sounds really familiar(I mean hearing those words together, not sure about the actual song yet). Ok, definitely sounds like a band that I need to check out quick, fast, and in a hurry. If they're a former favorite band of yours then.. I'm thinking they have to be good. Thanks for the input man. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 19:30
Originally posted by Soysauce007 Soysauce007 wrote:

If its heads only, I'd go:
Daevid Allen, Ian Anderson, Geddy Lee, and perhaps Frans Krassenburg...

Interesting list. Welcome! 
Soysauce007 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 19:40
Love Focus' live album, they went a bit 'normal' for me in their later incarnations though. The Vertigo label psychedelically spinning in the middle of Jade Warrior albums my dad played - my awesome childhood intro to prog. I'm surprised you'd have Focus and JW on Mount Progmore though, like, as the biggest greats of prog of all time.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 19:41

Genesis
Frank Zappa
Jade Warrior
Focus

Genesis and Zappa, that's right! The other two though.. I don't know ANYTHING about lol. I'll have to run straight to Wikipedia and do some research here. 

Focis is, imo, utterly essential. You might have heard "Hocus Pocus" before on classic rock radio. I love the first four albums, and but both Hamurger Concerto and Moving Waves I think you should check out pronto. It was my favourite band at one time, has exciting, beautiful, majestic and humorous music. Amazing band. I think someone who digs Zappa, Gentle Giant, ELP and various symphonic music could potentially really fall for it. Yeah, I think you need to hear it. I'm playing Moving Waves right now, been too long. and I've called Hamburger Concerto a meaty masterpiece.

Yeah, that Focus Hocus Pocus sounds really familiar(I mean hearing those words together, not sure about the actual song yet). Ok, definitely sounds like a band that I need to check out quick, fast, and in a hurry. If they're a former favorite band of yours then.. I'm thinking they have to be good. Thanks for the input man. 

I've got some out there tastes, and most I would not recommend, and some music I like that even I don't think is good, but Focus is one that I love that I really believe is genuinely great and you might love too. They have chops, huge beauty, a sense of fun -- got it all going on. Focus 3 I really love too. Which of the first four I love most depends on the day. It's also one of the few bands that I've continued to love over many years. Later ones are really good too, imo. Happy listening (methinks excessive excitement can be a turn off so I'm trying to reign it in). Just didn't know you didn't know it yet, would have recommended it before. I think of Focus as a really big name in Prog, but it's not (so called second tier I think, or third maybe) and it doesn't come up much around the forum any more. It used to get mentioned a lot around here in various discussion threads.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 19:49
Originally posted by Soysauce007 Soysauce007 wrote:

Love Focus' live album, they went a bit 'normal' for me in their later incarnations though. The Vertigo label psychedelically spinning in the middle of Jade Warrior albums my dad played - my awesome childhood intro to prog. I'm surprised you'd have Focus and JW on Mount Progmore though, like, as the biggest greats of prog of all time.

I don't have the live (1973 , I checked). Hamburger Concerto (1974) does suffer, I think, with the departure of the jazzy drumming of Pierre van der Linden. Colin Allen is very typical and dull, but I still think the album HC is magnificent (especially the self-titled track). I think last I was listening to Focus much my favourite was the third. Listening to Focus 3 now, just great.

EDIT: As for what's mounted on that high Prog Rock, it's just taste. It is set to depend on personal taste (subjective rather than objective merits). At one time my four would have been Focus, Gryphon, Premiata Forneria Marconi, and Gentle Giant. If we all went for what we've been conditioned to think of as the biggest greats in prog (whether we like them or not, cause of course you can think a band is great without liking it), then the lists would all be similar.

Edited by Logan - January 06 2018 at 20:00
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 23:29

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

OK, only faces... Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel (with his flower costume), Rick Wakeman, and Ian Anderson, I guess. For a fifth one... perhaps Keith Emerson, or Frank Zappa as you have said so much, or Roger Waters.

Hey we have two that are the same, Zappa and Gabriel. Right on. 

Well, those one I wrote there weren't so much because of how much I like their music, but rather because of how iconic their looks are for the prog world
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 23:37

Genesis
Frank Zappa
Jade Warrior
Focus

I've got some out there tastes, and most I would not recommend, and some music I like that even I don't think is good, but Focus is one that I love that I really believe is genuinely great and you might love too. They have chops, huge beauty, a sense of fun -- got it all going on. Focus 3 I really love too. Which of the first four I love most depends on the day. It's also one of the few bands that I've continued to love over many years. Later ones are really good too, imo. Happy listening (methinks excessive excitement can be a turn off so I'm trying to reign it in). Just didn't know you didn't know it yet, would have recommended it before. I think of Focus as a really big name in Prog, but it's not (so called second tier I think, or third maybe) and it doesn't come up much around the forum any more. It used to get mentioned a lot around here in various discussion threads.

I second the Focus recommendation... really wonderful band. For me, check out Hamburger Concerto first. Yeah, they might have lost an edge with the change of drummer (Van der Linden was just wonderful... I guess the change could be compaired to when Yes lost Bruford and replaced him with White), but the album as a whole is my favourite from them. Moving Waves is another great one too. Well, I guess every album up to Hamburger Concerto should be checked out.

Edited by Dellinger - January 07 2018 at 20:57
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 01:23

Genesis
Frank Zappa
Jade Warrior
Focus

Focus is, imo, utterly essential. You might have heard "Hocus Pocus" before on classic rock radio. I love the first four albums, and but both Hamurger Concerto and Moving Waves I think you should check out pronto. It was my favourite band at one time, has exciting, beautiful, majestic and humorous music. Amazing band. I think someone who digs Zappa, Gentle Giant, ELP and various symphonic music could potentially really fall for it. Yeah, I think you need to hear it. I'm playing Moving Waves right now, been too long. and I've called Hamburger Concerto a meaty masterpiece.

I second the Focus recommendation... really wonderful band. For me, check out Hamburger Concerto first. Yeah, they might have lost an edge with the change of drummer (Van der Linden was just wonderful... I guess the chance could be compared to when Yes lost Bruford and replaced him with White), but the album as a whole is my favourite from them. Moving Waves is another great one too. Well, I guess every album up to Hamburger Concerto should be checked out.

Very good analogy with Bruford. Hamburger Conerto is an, imo, mesmerising album even if the drumming lost some creativity. They wanted more of a straight rock drummer for it and maybe that approach does fit the music and concept more (the rock take on more classical style music).

I would also check out Hamburger Concerto first -- it's the album that made me a fan and is definitely the ones I have turned to the most over the years. "The Hamburger Concerto" suite is just one of the most glorious moments in prog, in my opinion. I've had goosebumps from it, but the whole album is great, including the "Hocus Pocus" like "Harem Scarem" (the riffs of which remind me very much of Miles Davis "It's About That Time" off In a Silent Way).

Incidentally, the title is a pastiche of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (a favourite of mine as child), a bit of a P.D.Q. Bach thing to do, and the title track is based on Variations on a Theme by Haydn by Johannes Brahms. I grew up with classical music, and my Dad's favourite composer was Brahms. He would have hated Hamburger Concerto, but then he loathed rock music, but I got more out of with my background growing up with classical music. That said, one doesn't need the background to appreciate it. Great album.

I do think that there's some later really good Focus music too even on low rated albums such as Mother Focus (I love Bennie Helder and the title track), but for me the first four are all essential. Hamburger, then Moving waves, then the more jazz Focus 3, and then the first, I think. Hopefully you'll be hooked. Although Focus is a well-respected band in prog circles, it's one that I think deserves a wider audience. On classic rock radio they referred to the band as one hit wonder (for Hocus Pocus) -- I think both Sylvia and House of the King also got a lot of radio play (and House of the King was the theme song of a British comedy I like very much starring Steve Coogan called Saxondale. Just a bit of trivia.

----------------------------------

My new Prog Rushmore (that name has stuck with me). This time by band:

Area
Art Zoyd
Can
Popol Vuh

I would have included Focus, but I opted to focus on some others.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 07:54
I guess I am a little late to the party.

Bands (going with 5):
Genesis
Van Der Graaf Generator
Riverside
Gong
Soft Machine

Solo Artists (6 this time, if that is okay):
Steve Hackett
Peter Hammill
Robert Wyatt
John Petrucci
Robert Fripp
Steven Wilson
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 07:56
I would have also liked to get some sort of RPI in there. PFM or Banco...
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 13:48
I listened to Hamburger Concerto and Moving Waves today and.. well.. I liked the first song on Moving Waves. Was jamming out to that(yes I've certainly heard it before on the radio), but umm.. and the first album didn't really get good until like the second half of it. A lot to wade through before that though. 

Maybe they're an acquired taste. For a very long time I considered Zappa stupid and obnoxious, so you never know. On the plus side though, I've been liking VdGG a lot more lately(they're finally starting to click for me). And that other band you recommended Logan, Tangerine Dream I like a whole lot.. awesome to meditate to. Oh and Cardiacs, I like what I've heard so far from them a lot. Can't win 'em all I guess. Thank you both for your input though. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 13:50
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

I guess I am a little late to the party.

Bands (going with 5):
Genesis
Van Der Graaf Generator
Riverside
Gong
Soft Machine

Solo Artists (6 this time, if that is okay):
Steve Hackett
Peter Hammill
Robert Wyatt
John Petrucci
Robert Fripp
Steven Wilson

Yeah, some good selections there. Right on. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 14:06

OK, only faces... Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel (with his flower costume), Rick Wakeman, and Ian Anderson, I guess. For a fifth one... perhaps Keith Emerson, or Frank Zappa as you have said so much, or Roger Waters.

Well, those one I wrote there weren't so much because of how much I like their music, but rather because of how iconic their looks are for the prog world

I really think you should give Zappa another chance man. Listen to One Size Fits All, or Hot Rats, or The Grand Wazoo.. I'd be shocked if you didn't like those albums. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 15:10
If I didn't miss anything, I'm still the only one who nominated a woman. Ying Yang
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 15:56
Mt Rushmore? idk.

King Crimson is the philosophers stone though 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 21:15

Genesis
Frank Zappa
Jade Warrior
Focus

Focus is, imo, utterly essential. You might have heard "Hocus Pocus" before on classic rock radio. I love the first four albums, and but both Hamurger Concerto and Moving Waves I think you should check out pronto. It was my favourite band at one time, has exciting, beautiful, majestic and humorous music. Amazing band. I think someone who digs Zappa, Gentle Giant, ELP and various symphonic music could potentially really fall for it. Yeah, I think you need to hear it. I'm playing Moving Waves right now, been too long. and I've called Hamburger Concerto a meaty masterpiece.

I second the Focus recommendation... really wonderful band. For me, check out Hamburger Concerto first. Yeah, they might have lost an edge with the change of drummer (Van der Linden was just wonderful... I guess the chance could be compared to when Yes lost Bruford and replaced him with White), but the album as a whole is my favourite from them. Moving Waves is another great one too. Well, I guess every album up to Hamburger Concerto should be checked out.

Very good analogy with Bruford. Hamburger Conerto is an, imo, mesmerising album even if the drumming lost some creativity. They wanted more of a straight rock drummer for it and maybe that approach does fit the music and concept more (the rock take on more classical style music).

I would also check out Hamburger Concerto first -- it's the album that made me a fan and is definitely the ones I have turned to the most over the years. "The Hamburger Concerto" suite is just one of the most glorious moments in prog, in my opinion. I've had goosebumps from it, but the whole album is great, including the "Hocus Pocus" like "Harem Scarem" (the riffs of which remind me very much of Miles Davis "It's About That Time" off In a Silent Way).

Incidentally, the title is a pastiche of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (a favourite of mine as child), a bit of a P.D.Q. Bach thing to do, and the title track is based on Variations on a Theme by Haydn by Johannes Brahms. I grew up with classical music, and my Dad's favourite composer was Brahms. He would have hated Hamburger Concerto, but then he loathed rock music, but I got more out of with my background growing up with classical music. That said, one doesn't need the background to appreciate it. Great album.

I do think that there's some later really good Focus music too even on low rated albums such as Mother Focus (I love Bennie Helder and the title track), but for me the first four are all essential. Hamburger, then Moving waves, then the more jazz Focus 3, and then the first, I think. Hopefully you'll be hooked. Although Focus is a well-respected band in prog circles, it's one that I think deserves a wider audience. On classic rock radio they referred to the band as one hit wonder (for Hocus Pocus) -- I think both Sylvia and House of the King also got a lot of radio play (and House of the King was the theme song of a British comedy I like very much starring Steve Coogan called Saxondale. Just a bit of trivia.

----------------------------------

My new Prog Rushmore (that name has stuck with me). This time by band:

Area
Art Zoyd
Can
Popol Vuh

I would have included Focus, but I opted to focus on some others.

I do like Harem Scarem, but somehow when I listen to it I end up wishing I was listening to Hocus Pocus instead. From Hamburger Concerto, the song that I love most besides the title track is Birth.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 21:19

I listened to Hamburger Concerto and Moving Waves today and.. well.. I liked the first song on Moving Waves. Was jamming out to that(yes I've certainly heard it before on the radio), but umm.. and the first album didn't really get good until like the second half of it. A lot to wade through before that though. 

Maybe they're an acquired taste. For a very long time I considered Zappa stupid and obnoxious, so you never know. On the plus side though, I've been liking VdGG a lot more lately(they're finally starting to click for me). And that other band you recommended Logan, Tangerine Dream I like a whole lot.. awesome to meditate to. Oh and Cardiacs, I like what I've heard so far from them a lot. Can't win 'em all I guess. Thank you both for your input though. 

Yeah, Hocus Pocus is great. It is surely a song that could be shown, and perhaps even liked, to non proggers... even though it's totally prog and totally weird... but that riff... however, perhaps you should focus on the Hamburger Concerto suite. If you love those classic prog epics from the british bands, you should end up loving that one too.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 21:22

I really think you should give Zappa another chance man. Listen to One Size Fits All, or Hot Rats, or The Grand Wazoo.. I'd be shocked if you didn't like those albums. 

Yeah, I have been up to giving him a fair chance for some time now, I just haven't gotten to it. I mean, it's one of the most important prog artists on the US (and there aren't so many of them, at least not from the 60's / 70's, compared to the british ones that did hit big), and I guess he should be considered among the first artists doing prog, perhaps even before King Crimson themselves.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 17:16

Yeah, Hocus Pocus is great. It is surely a song that could be shown, and perhaps even liked, to non proggers... even though it's totally prog and totally weird... but that riff... however, perhaps you should focus on the Hamburger Concerto suite. If you love those classic prog epics from the british bands, you should end up loving that one too.

Yeah, I really want to like this band. I'll take your advice and just concentrate on that and maybe try to find some other stuff that I like from them as well. Sometimes that works, if I can find a bunch of things I like then I can go back and sort of put the pieces together from there. Thanks.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>