Topic ClosedMount Rushmore of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 17:20
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

I guess I am a little late to the party.

Bands (going with 5):
Genesis
Van Der Graaf Generator
Riverside
Gong
Soft Machine

Solo Artists (6 this time, if that is okay):
Steve Hackett
Peter Hammill
Robert Wyatt
John Petrucci
Robert Fripp
Steven Wilson

Yeah, some good selections there. Right on. 

I agree with the bolded bands. My two favorite prog bands are Genesis and Van Der Graaf Generator by far.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 17:28

I guess I am a little late to the party.

Bands (going with 5):
Genesis
Van Der Graaf Generator
Riverside
Gong
Soft Machine

Solo Artists (6 this time, if that is okay):
Steve Hackett
Peter Hammill
Robert Wyatt
John Petrucci
Robert Fripp
Steven Wilson

Yeah, some good selections there. Right on. 

I agree with the bolded bands. My two favorite prog bands are Genesis and Van Der Graaf Generator by far.

Can't argue with that. Genesis is one of my two favorites as well, and I'm starting to like VdGG more and more lately.
Argos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 10:04

Originally posted by Argos Argos wrote:

For me it would be Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis and Wishbone Ash.

If Wishbone Ash counts then.. they happen to be my favorite band so. But I believe on here they are listed as 'Prog Related.' So I feel a little funny about putting them on my "Mount Rushmore of Prog." They definitely have some proggy elements to some of their stuff, for sure. But then, over the course of their discography, they have elements of a lot of things. They're probably the most eclectic band that I know of(a big part of what I love about them). Anyway, awesome to see them on someone's list here though.. And welcome!  

Cool avi btw. 
Maybe they're not exacly Prog through and through, but I consider Argus one of the most important prog albums ever. 

Thanks for the welcome by the way. Didn't have internet for the past two days so couldn't reply.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 10:59
My four artists on my ultimate Mount Rushmore of Prog
Rush
Genesis
Yes
Marillion

Main reason is the size of these bands catalog and the albums I like. Easily I could have listed Pink Floyd or King Crimson instead of Marillion, but in each catalog I like more Marillion albums than the other two.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 16:02

For me it would be Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis and Wishbone Ash.

If Wishbone Ash counts then.. they happen to be my favorite band so. But I believe on here they are listed as 'Prog Related.' So I feel a little funny about putting them on my "Mount Rushmore of Prog." They definitely have some proggy elements to some of their stuff, for sure. But then, over the course of their discography, they have elements of a lot of things. They're probably the most eclectic band that I know of(a big part of what I love about them). Anyway, awesome to see them on someone's list here though.. And welcome!  

Cool avi btw. 
Maybe they're not exacly Prog through and through, but I consider Argus one of the most important prog albums ever

Thanks for the welcome by the way. Didn't have internet for the past two days so couldn't reply.

We actually had a whole thread on this lol. You might find it interesting. 

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110629&PN=1
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 16:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

My four artists on my ultimate Mount Rushmore of Prog
Rush
Genesis
Yes
Marillion

Main reason is the size of these bands catalog and the albums I like. Easily I could have listed Pink Floyd or King Crimson instead of Marillion, but in each catalog I like more Marillion albums than the other two.

I like Marillion better than Floyd or KC myself. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 20:16
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I listened to Hamburger Concerto and Moving Waves today and.. well.. I liked the first song on Moving Waves. Was jamming out to that(yes I've certainly heard it before on the radio), but umm.. and the first album didn't really get good until like the second half of it. A lot to wade through before that though. 

Maybe they're an acquired taste. For a very long time I considered Zappa stupid and obnoxious, so you never know. On the plus side though, I've been liking VdGG a lot more lately(they're finally starting to click for me). And that other band you recommended Logan, Tangerine Dream I like a whole lot.. awesome to meditate to. Oh and Cardiacs, I like what I've heard so far from them a lot. Can't win 'em all I guess. Thank you both for your input though. 

Yeah, Hocus Pocus is great. It is surely a song that could be shown, and perhaps even liked, to non proggers... even though it's totally prog and totally weird... but that riff... however, perhaps you should focus on the Hamburger Concerto suite. If you love those classic prog epics from the british bands, you should end up loving that one too.

I just listened to Focus 3 all the way through. By far my favorite Focus album so far! Answers Questions Questions Answers was sublime. Wasn't wild about the second last song, and then the last song went on a bit too long.. But all in all a really, really good album imo.  
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 20:36

I listened to Hamburger Concerto and Moving Waves today and.. well.. I liked the first song on Moving Waves. Was jamming out to that(yes I've certainly heard it before on the radio), but umm.. and the first album didn't really get good until like the second half of it. A lot to wade through before that though. 

Maybe they're an acquired taste. For a very long time I considered Zappa stupid and obnoxious, so you never know. On the plus side though, I've been liking VdGG a lot more lately(they're finally starting to click for me). And that other band you recommended Logan, Tangerine Dream I like a whole lot.. awesome to meditate to. Oh and Cardiacs, I like what I've heard so far from them a lot. Can't win 'em all I guess. Thank you both for your input though. 

Yeah, Hocus Pocus is great. It is surely a song that could be shown, and perhaps even liked, to non proggers... even though it's totally prog and totally weird... but that riff... however, perhaps you should focus on the Hamburger Concerto suite. If you love those classic prog epics from the british bands, you should end up loving that one too.

I just listened to Focus 3 all the way through. By far my favorite Focus album so far! Answers Questions Questions Answers was sublime. Wasn't wild about the second last song, and then the last song went on a bit too long.. But all in all a really, really good album imo.  

Great. I guess I should be giving their discography a spin again... it's been a long while.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 17:04

Great. I guess I should be giving their discography a spin again... it's been a long while.

Ok now.. you're supposed to be listening to ZAPPA ok. LOL
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 20:50

Ok now.. you're supposed to be listening to ZAPPA ok. LOL

Oh my, I'm slacking at my homework. Remind me which album(s) might be the best to get started. Including (in case you know) live albums that include a good selection of his best songs. You know, the more melodic ones, and best if it doesn't have those "funny" things or "humor" that might ruin the songs.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 22:52
I recommend to start in "We´re Only In It For the Money". I think it´s his best (well, not hear all his albums). Really has lots of great, melodic stuff. But if you´re not a lo-fi guy, then you can start for example Bongo Fury (my seventies favourite).
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 16:58
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I recommend to start in "We´re Only In It For the Money". I think it´s his best (well, not hear all his albums). Really has lots of great, melodic stuff. But if you´re not a lo-fi guy, then you can start for example Bongo Fury (my seventies favourite).

Two great recommendations, especially the first one(absolutely ESSENTIAL Zappa).. Though it is heavy on the humor and silly stuff(I think it's his funniest album), so he might not like that. And the second one has a fair amount of that stuff as well. 

My biggest recommendation would be The Grand Wazoo. You might not like the first song.. but the 4 songs after it are all REALLY good(and as I remember almost no 'stupid stuff'). I can't imagine you not liking it. 

Hot Rats is another good album with almost no stupid stuff. And One Size Fits All is great, but does have some stupid stuff(not a whole lot though). 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 17:32

Two great recommendations, especially the first one(absolutely ESSENTIAL Zappa).. Though it is heavy on the humor and silly stuff(I think it's his funniest album), so he might not like that. And the second one has a fair amount of that stuff as well. 

My biggest recommendation would be The Grand Wazoo. You might not like the first song.. but the 4 songs after it are all REALLY good(and as I remember almost no 'stupid stuff'). I can't imagine you not liking it. 

Hot Rats is another good album with almost no stupid stuff. And One Size Fits All is great, but does have some stupid stuff(not a whole lot though). 

I second Grand Wazoo. Give it a listen or two and it will hit you. If you have a penchant for jazz already it will click faster. Lots of brass, but easier to get into than Waka/Jawaka. One Size Fits All is my favorite Zappa record. "Evalyn, A Modified Dog" will turn a lot of listeners off real fast LOL.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 19:10
I'm sorry but this thread is about Mount RUSHmore, so IMHO only RUSH can fulfill your request Big smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 20:20
^Aren't you clever lol. Very good. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 21:45

One of the things I have with funny or humor in music is that... well, it should make me laugh... but really, there's nothing of the sort on music that would make me laugh, only go wtf and not liking it. I like beauty or power in my music, but not humor.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 23:06
I think humour really belongs into music and specially a way Zappa did it. I think one thing that is wrong in today´s music is there is very little humour. Fishbone has also been really great band, that has put humour both in music and lyrics really great way. Of course I don´t really like bands that have only humour and nothing artistic in their music. You know those "let´s all laugh to our stupids jokes all the time"-bands.

Anyway I think "We´re Only In It for the money" is musically really great, even there are much humour in music too, there are also really great melodies.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 02:04

Hot Rats is another good album with almost no stupid stuff. 
I highly recommend this too. Only one sungen piece and you can always skip that. Peaches en Regalia is my favourite Zappa song.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 04:40

I think humour really belongs into music and specially a way Zappa did it. I think one thing that is wrong in today´s music is there is very little humour. Fishbone has also been really great band, that has put humour both in music and lyrics really great way. Of course I don´t really like bands that have only humour and nothing artistic in their music. You know those "let´s all laugh to our stupids jokes all the time"-bands.

Anyway I think "We´re Only In It for the money" is musically really great, even there are much humour in music too, there are also really great melodies.
The thing about humour is that it's pretty personal. One person's idea of hilarious is cringe-inducing for the next. There's a lot of Zappa I can't listen to. The Jazz Discharge Party Hats, Punky’s Whips and Bobby Brown were pretty chucklesome when I was fifteen, but now really not so much.

EDIT: Some of the earlier stuff stands up a lot better lyrically, mind you.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 13 2018 at 05:08
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 05:39
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

The thing about humour is that it's pretty personal. One person's idea of hilarious is cringe-inducing for the next. There's a lot of Zappa I can't listen to. The Jazz Discharge Party Hats, Punky’s Whips and Bobby Brown were pretty chucklesome when I was fifteen, but now really not so much.

EDIT: Some of the earlier stuff stands up a lot better lyrically, mind you.
Yes, you´re right. And when I am non-English, Zappas stupid lyrics don´t bother me at all same way as English person. Also I am mostly Zappas sixties stuff fan, never found for example Over-Nite Sensation really great although I think there are Zappa fans who think it´s his best. Also, lyrics never been to me most important thing, on the other hand I don´t now remember any of Finnish sungen song of my favourites that has stupid lyrics. Mostly I like black humour in the lyrics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>