FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMount Rushmore of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 06:08
I'm all for adding humour to music and I am furthermore a big Zappa fan...yet I find We're Only In It For The Money extremely tiresome and musically uninteresting compared to say Hot Rats, Waka Jawaka or The Grand Wazoo.
There is a clever message completely made up of Zappaesque irony in there, but the execution leaves me completely cold.

Mount Rushmore today consists of Luis Alberto Spinetta, Giulio Capiozzo, Reine Fiske and Christian Vander.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 06:41
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

And when I am non-English, Zappas stupid lyrics donīt bother me at all same way as English person. Also I am mostly Zappas sixties stuff fan, never found for example Over-Nite Sensation really great although I think there are Zappa fans who think itīs his best. Also, lyrics never been to me most important thing, on the other hand I donīt now remember any of Finnish sungen song of my favourites that has stupid lyrics. Mostly I like black humour in the lyrics.
I'm with you here. For me it's a postive when listening to bands that don't sing in English that I can be oblivious to the lyrics. Experience suggests that for every song with brilliant words I'm missing out on there will be ten with stupid ones that would have annoyed me.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 07:16
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'm all for adding humour to music and I am furthermore a big Zappa fan...yet I find We're Only In It For The Money extremely tiresome and musically uninteresting compared to say Hot Rats, Waka Jawaka or The Grand Wazoo.
There is a clever message completely made up of Zappaesque irony in there, but the execution leaves me completely cold.

For humour in lyrics I prefer Steely Dan, Beefheart, Tom Waits, Caravan, Bonzos, Ian Dury, They Might Be Giants and not least Flight of the Conchords to Zappa, among others.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 13 2018 at 07:16
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 08:07
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

For humour in lyrics I prefer Steely Dan, Beefheart, Tom Waits, Caravan, Bonzos, Ian Dury, They Might Be Giants and not least Flight of the Conchords to Zappa, among others.
I am a huge Beefheart & Waits-fan, like also their lyrics as far as I understand them, more easily to me with Waits because there are lyrics in the most of my Waits-albums printed, I got only Shiny Beast with lyrics although I know at least Trout Mask, Lick My Decals and Doc at the radar originally have them.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 13:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

One of the things I have with funny or humor in music is that... well, it should make me laugh... but really, there's nothing of the sort on music that would make me laugh, only go wtf and not liking it. I like beauty or power in my music, but not humor.

I guess that makes sense. I like Frank Z's humor though. And he can definitely bring both beauty and power as well.. Willie The Pimp(from hot rats) is pure POWER. While Blessed Relief(from the grand wazoo) is pure BEAUTY. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 13:18
I think We're Only In It For The Money is genius. It's his funniest album imo, plus it has the obnoxiousness(long loud burp). And.. as previously mentioned it has some very good, melodic songs. Basically it's got a whole lot of what makes Zappa Zappa. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 14:37
Sheik Yerbouti  has been my favorite FZ album ever since I first heard it. It's so juvenile and perverse, I love it. And the music's really good, too!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 14:59
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Sheik Yerbouti  has been my favorite FZ album ever since I first heard it. It's so juvenile and perverse, I love it. And the music's really good, too!

Oh yeah.. very fun album. More of a 70's, almost discoish vibe to a lot of it(hence the title lol). Absolutely great, fun album. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 22:05

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I think humour really belongs into music and specially a way Zappa did it. I think one thing that is wrong in todayīs music is there is very little humour. Fishbone has also been really great band, that has put humour both in music and lyrics really great way. Of course I donīt really like bands that have only humour and nothing artistic in their music. You know those "letīs all laugh to our stupids jokes all the time"-bands.

Anyway I think "Weīre Only In It for the money" is musically really great, even there are much humour in music too, there are also really great melodies.
The thing about humour is that it's pretty personal. One person's idea of hilarious is cringe-inducing for the next. There's a lot of Zappa I can't listen to. The Jazz Discharge Party Hats, Punky’s Whips and Bobby Brown were pretty chucklesome when I was fifteen, but now really not so much.

EDIT: Some of the earlier stuff stands up a lot better lyrically, mind you.
Yes, youīre right. And when I am non-English, Zappas stupid lyrics donīt bother me at all same way as English person. Also I am mostly Zappas sixties stuff fan, never found for example Over-Nite Sensation really great although I think there are Zappa fans who think itīs his best. Also, lyrics never been to me most important thing, on the other hand I donīt now remember any of Finnish sungen song of my favourites that has stupid lyrics. Mostly I like black humour in the lyrics.

Actually, funny lyrics don't bother me so much... well, they do, but I can still enjoy a song with them. But it's "funny" sounds that bother me more, because those are parts of the music. About the lyrics, Gabriel add some such things on Genesis songs, and many of those I still love... but if I pay attention to the lyrics I may wish they were different.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 22:49

Actually, funny lyrics don't bother me so much... well, they do, but I can still enjoy a song with them. But it's "funny" sounds that bother me more, because those are parts of the music. About the lyrics, Gabriel add some such things on Genesis songs, and many of those I still love... but if I pay attention to the lyrics I may wish they were different.
Well, I think then "Weīre Only In it for the money" is not for you. There are for example those belchs that I think will irritate you. If not yet listened, go on Hot Rats!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 08:39
sl*g.ing on We're Only In It For The Money?
Next you'll be telling me that Red sucks too.
I just can't...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 20:53
I guess Mortte actually likes that album, he is just telling me I might not like it because of previous posts in which I stated elements I don't really enjoy in music.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 23:28

I guess Mortte actually likes that album, he is just telling me I might not like it because of previous posts in which I stated elements I don't really enjoy in music.
Yes, itīs my favourite Zappa-album! I also love the humour in it. The first Mothers was my favourite in Zappaīs music all the way, I donīt think he ever got himself as great band as that was.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567