Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCitizens of Hope and Glory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citizens of Hope and Glory
    Posted: December 24 2017 at 08:38
Hi,

I'll be looking for this, although I tend to stay away from folks writing about "progressive" and "prog" because in most cases the definition for them is a cookie cut out, and that is not what anything that we originally called "progressive" or "prog" was even about ... although we now tend to think that "prog" is a form of cookie copy of the original "progressive".

I find, the definitions of each band as "progressive" horribly faulty, and almost all of them break apart the definition of the word, but we ignore that fact all of a sudden because of one composition ... it's like saying that Beethoven is great for his 5th ... and lousy for anything else including the 9th ... the whole thing becomes so ridiculously under-educated, that it makes me feel like ... leaving the room!

This, btw, was a point that Peter Michael Hamel made in his book (Through Music to the Self), and I originally thought it was a bit stuck up, but in the end, it really is true, because we are not considering the person a composer ... we're only thinking of him/her as a popular artist with a new song, and we don't like it as much as the rest ... sort of like saying Led Zeppelin stinx after Stairway to Heaven, when they were far better and more pleasing in the first 2 or 3 albums ... see the point? And the comparison would then be ... ridiculous!

I'll be looking for this.  Thx for the heads up!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 09:41
Just read this in a couple of days. A personal take on prog from a geezer called Stephen Lambe - his taste probably differs from mine  - but apart from the fact that he thinks that 'Tales from Topographic Oceans' should be shorter (I think that its far too SHORT now!) - Its a good read. He also thinks that "The Flower Kings" is prog-by-numbers - which I totally disagree with - but opinions will differ! Good book to pick up if you want a bit of light reading.
 Post Reply Post Reply