Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat did you like about the music of the 70s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you like about the music of the 70s?
    Posted: January 05 2018 at 02:19
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

>> Only a few "prog" bands didn't care about rhythm: Tangerine Dream (until they started with sequencers) and Ash Ra Temple. Tongue

We're still not connecting on this.  I don't mean "rhythm" in terms of a rock rhythm section which is obviously huge in prog, but styles of music that focus only on rhythm or 'beats'... >> Well I am toying with you a little here Wink (that's why I used the Tongue smiley)

>> Nope, Funk "ruled" since the very early 70's, with James Brown, Kool & The Gang (first album in 69, and it was rather good), EW&F and Funkadelic. and when I say "ruled", I meant on commercial radios.

Well, I always did my best to stay far away from 70's commercial radio Wink >> As I said, you were probably very lucky to live in Frisco in the 70's....

>> Geddy didn't care about "getting the chicks".... Wearing a Disco Sucks T-shirt automatically excluded you from the bras and panties of disco-going chicks

I didn't need bras and panties of disco going chicks, my Yes-fan wife bought me my Disco Sucks shirt LOL  >> You're old enough to have been married in the late 70's. Fine!!, but I was busy chasing everything with a skirt back then (well almost LOLEmbarrassed)... and the disco chicks were often the best looking and most promiscuous and the best chance to get laid... telling her that the music she loved sucked almost certainly meant that you were not getting sucked on... LOL

condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 13:23
Heart, Be Bop Deluxe, Roxy Music
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 10:13

>> Only a few "prog" bands didn't care about rhythm: Tangerine Dream (until they started with sequencers) and Ash Ra Temple. Tongue

We're still not connecting on this.  I don't mean "rhythm" in terms of a rock rhythm section which is obviously huge in prog, but styles of music that focus only on rhythm or 'beats'...

>> Nope, Funk "ruled" since the very early 70's, with James Brown, Kool & The Gang (first album in 69, and it was rather good), EW&F and Funkadelic. and when I say "ruled", I meant on commercial radios.

Well, I always did my best to stay far away from 70's commercial radio Wink

>> Geddy didn't care about "getting the chicks".... Wearing a Disco Sucks T-shirt automatically excluded you from the bras and panties of disco-going chicks

I didn't need bras and panties of disco going chicks, my Yes-fan wife bought me my Disco Sucks shirt LOL
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 10:05
Well, I think I understood wrong. I understood youīre saying that experimental music was the greatest in the eighties and there isnīt much of it at seventies or sixties. But you seem to say that it didnīt develop anymore after eighties. And I agree, there are still experimental acts today, but nothing really new.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 09:41
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

let's just say that prog was semi-experimental music, but popular (in numbers & sales) enough to be encompassed in the "mainstream".
But let's face it, most experimental (let's say Avant/RIO) hasn't really progressed much since the mid-80's (when RIO peaked, but also stuff like Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle or Killing Joke, etc....)
Only post-rock and Trip Hop were meaningful experimental movements and both came close to be 'mainstream", but no cigar.

Disagree. Even in Finland Pekka Airaksinen joined into Sperm collective and they released 1970 really ahead of time, experimental album "Shh, Heinäsirkat". Then there were Velvet Underground, Red Krayola, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band. Lots of bands in German Krautrock-movement were really experimental. Brian Eno started his experimental solo career in 1973 and Pere Ubu is formed in 1975. If you think experimental hadnīt progressed in those I just mentioned, I donīt understand you. I donīt think experimental has ever been very near of mainstream, although for example Sonic Youth become quite popular when starting add more conventional elements into itīs music.

I don't see how we disagree here.... I was talking of a later experimental rock date, not an earlier oneWink

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned RIO, for its starting date is in themed-70's.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 05:54
Forgot to mention Frank Zappa. His Lumpy Gravy is really experimental, also Motherīs Uncle Meat.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 04:23

let's just say that prog was semi-experimental music, but popular (in numbers & sales) enough to be encompassed in the "mainstream".
But let's face it, most experimental (let's say Avant/RIO) hasn't really progressed much since the mid-80's (when RIO peaked, but also stuff like Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle or Killing Joke, etc....)
Only post-rock and Trip Hop were meaningful experimental movements and both came close to be 'mainstream", but no cigar.

Disagree. Even in Finland Pekka Airaksinen joined into Sperm collective and they released 1970 really ahead of time, experimental album "Shh, Heinäsirkat". Then there were Velvet Underground, Red Krayola, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band. Lots of bands in German Krautrock-movement were really experimental. Brian Eno started his experimental solo career in 1973 and Pere Ubu is formed in 1975. If you think experimental hadnīt progressed in those I just mentioned, I donīt understand you. I donīt think experimental has ever been very near of mainstream, although for example Sonic Youth become quite popular when starting add more conventional elements into itīs music.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 03:52

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The production and the spirit of experimentation instead of regurgitation that has plagued rock and pop music from the 80's to the present day.

I largely agree with this although I think it only pertains to mainstream music. The difference being that the mainstream of the 70s was far more experimental than any other following decade. The amount of quality and experimentalism in music being produced is about the same methinks.

2. Not what I meant at all.  I was referring to the focus on rhythm to the virtual exclusion of harmony and melody that we've experienced since disco laid the groundwork for the later rap/hiphop explosion.  >> Only a few "prog" bands didn't care about rhythm: Tangerine Dream (until they started with sequencers) and Ash Ra Temple. Tongue
3. Not the whole 70's.  More like the late 70's and I'd hardly say disco "ruled".  It sure became a competing genre to rock in terms of popularity, but there was still plenty of rock to be found on the airwaves I listened to and the concert halls I attended. >> Nope, Funk "ruled" since the very early 70's, with James Brown, Kool & The Gang (first album in 69, and it was rather good), EW&F and Funkadelic. and when I say "ruled", I meant on commercial radios.
9. Don't know about "legend", only what I heard with my own ears in the 70's.  In the SF bay area we had KOME, KSJO & KSAN not to mention the excellent college stations KFJC & KSJS who all sounded different enough to have their own flavor.  Why?  Because they gave freedom to the DJ sitting in the chair.  By the time my wife got on the radio airwaves in the SF bay area in the 90's it was all about playlists and spinning what you were told. >> OK, I'd say you were rather lucky in the Bay area, coz you didn't live in the Prairies or the Old South.... or Canada. Toronto (2.5M) had CHUM-FM, CILQ and to a lesser extent CFNY in the 70's and 80's... the rest was garbage. Montreal (also 2.5M) only had CHOM-FM (no relation to the Toronto station)
10.  If it was good enough for Geddy, it was good enough for me Wink >> Geddy didn't care about "getting the chicks".... Wearing a Disco Sucks T-shirt automatically excluded you from the bras and panties of disco-going chicks

Edited by Sean Trane - January 04 2018 at 09:37
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 00:11
^^ Condor rarely posts in topics he starts beyond the initial post.

Point taken, and I'm just having some fun here, but I assume he means any kind of "mainstream music in particular" that you enjoy. If this topic asked "What did you hate about the music of the 70s?", then I would assume the opposite. He said, "For me, the guitar solos that were ever slightly so cool, and centred around 3/10ths from the base of the neck" which makes me imagine that he likes rock guitar hero types, but it need not be exclusive to that. I expect that that doesn't mean that we have to discuss music that employs guitars.

To each his or her own tastes, of course, but there's quite a bit of Space Disco Electro-Disco and Euro-Disco infused music that I like from the latter half of the 70s into the 80s, and beyond. But I like Giorgio Moroder and "Progressive Electronic" music, and it can help to like certain Krautrock.

I only post the following vid to share with the general public.

A lot of music I like has disco qualities.

As for the question, I find a certain creativity and spirit of adventure from the late 60s through the 70s that I haven't been so aware of in later years. That is not to say that it doesn't exist in later years, merely that it doesn't exist so much in my thoughts. And, yes, I like the sounds. I'm not generally so keen on mainstream 70s music despite there being many mainstream acts that I do enjoy from that time. Is Gary Numan's and the Tubeway Army's (at the tail end of the 70s) Replicas and the Alan Parsons Project considered mainstream? I guess Pink Floyd was no longer considered an underground band having had huge success. Oh, David Bowie rocked the 70s (and beyond, I would say).

I'm going to echo others by saying the production values and the prominence of the kazoo. Thinking more, there's actually lots of mainstream music from the 70s that I know and like, but not nearly so much of the current scenes. I rather perceive that there was more variety back then of the time that would get played on the radio than the variety that we hear on ye typical radio station that plays modern music now. When I go to events, the choice of music today sounds more samey than I recall from when I was a kid in the 70s. I do perceive that there was more experimentation, innovation, genre-bending and fusion in mainstream music then than now. Still, now and then, a lot of music was of the cookie-cutter type, and was more industry, in a sense, than art.

Edited by Logan - January 04 2018 at 00:18
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 23:38
Well, I think the most important think to me in this discussion has been, how the music has been recorded in certain times. I just like 50-70 music sounds so much more (even in the disco) than the sounds of today mostly. Even in the beginning of eighties there were better sounding albums. Also the nineties were better sounding time than most of the eighties and after nineties.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 22:09
I liked the sound it made.

I agree with Baldfriede: categorizing music via decades does not work. The arbitrary calender division is very artificial--as if musical trends start and stop every ten years. What you think of as that classic 70s sound is likely 67-76 or so. "80s" (I prefer the term New Wave) is really 77-86 (or so) etc. Ditto "50s" music: that sound overlaps into the early 60s.

Finally, remember that 70s music was quite diverse (as in any decade since). Disco (yuck) was in there. So was punk. So were jazz, fusion, folk, fluffy radio pop, reggae, sucky country, prog, etc. So, when you say "70s music," I want to know: WHICH 70s music?

Edited by Peter - January 03 2018 at 22:12
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 10:21
I donīt have anything against Funk, not even that p*rn one. And I rather listen seventies disco than todayīs electropophits.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 10:10

1. Bands were able to experiment freely without much record label interference
2. The focus was on melody/harmony rather than rhythm
3. 70's music inherited more from the classical music tradition than the ritual dance music tradition
4. Lyrics were often vague and open to interpretation
5. Instrumental virtuosity was appreciated and encouraged
6. Long compositions and complex music were seen as a worthwhile venture to both create and listen to
7. Concerts often pushed the limits of theater and music
8. Many record labels were still run by music lovers who were willing to take chances on new bands
9. FM Radio still gave many DJ's the freedom to play what they wanted regardless of length or style
10. I looked really good in my Disco Sucks t-shirt

you two are a few years older than I, but I'd object to TCK's list

Responding to some of your specific points:

>>1. Labels were still as dirigist with pop bands as before (as opposed to prog or jazz artistes) and have >>been since

1. I wasn't referring to 70's "pop bands", but adventurous rock/prog music I liked.  Pop will always be ruled by what a label believes will bring in the most $$$

>>2. you mean to tell me that the dummers and bassists were ignored in the 70's??

2. Not what I meant at all.  I was referring to the focus on rhythm to the virtual exclusion of harmony and melody that we've experienced since disco laid the groundwork for the later rap/hiphop explosion.  This is also a point Steve Howe made in the Yes video released just after the Union tour about the difference between 70's and 80's Yes.  Basically, he said that 70's Yes compositions focused on harmony where 80's Yes focused on rhythm.  Oh, and I don't know of any drummers who like to be called "dummers", they're a little touchy that way LOL

>>3. Funk & disco ruled in the 70's.

3. Not the whole 70's.  More like the late 70's and I'd hardly say disco "ruled".  It sure became a competing genre to rock in terms of popularity, but there was still plenty of rock to be found on the airwaves I listened to and the concert halls I attended.

>>5. bop music made that possible decades before the one we're speaking about

5. Regardless of when the trend started, it was still true in the 70's.

>>9. the portion of FM radios having freedom was not nearly as big as the legend would have it. Max one or >>two per state or major city... And AM was not concerned

9. Don't know about "legend", only what I heard with my own ears in the 70's.  In the SF bay area we had KOME, KSJO & KSAN not to mention the excellent college stations KFJC & KSJS who all sounded different enough to have their own flavor.  Why?  Because they gave freedom to the DJ sitting in the chair.  By the time my wife got on the radio airwaves in the SF bay area in the 90's it was all about playlists and spinning what you were told.

>>10. didn't need to wear one of them to be cool: just saying so was enough Tongue

10.  If it was good enough for Geddy, it was good enough for me Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 02 2018 at 11:01
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 09:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The production and the spirit of experimentation instead of regurgitation that has plagued rock and pop music from the 80's to the present day.

I oargely agree with this although I think it only pertains to mainstream music. The difference being that the mainstream of the 70s was far more experimental than any other following decade. The amount of quality music being produced is about the same methinks.

Indeed, I was referring to mainstream music, but that includes the big prog bands and hard rock acts like Sabbath, Zep and Purple. They weren't 'unusual' or alternative acts, they were platinum selling, stadium filling artists. Not many acts tick tose boxes today with the possible exception of Radiohead and Muse, but they are indeed excpetions.

I remember an interview with Frank Zappa, saying the music industry was better and more accpeting of experimental acts when it was run by middle aged businesmen who did know anything about music because they would be prepared to take a punt on anything. It started to fall apart when 'cool' young people started to pick who to sign and were reluctant to take risks on anything that didn't conform to a tried and tested formulas.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 09:19

I largely agree with this although I think it only pertains to mainstream music. The difference being that the mainstream of the 70s was far more experimental than any other following decade. The amount of quality and experimentalism in music being produced is about the same methinks.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 02 2018 at 09:31
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 09:16
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 05:29

It's impossible nowadays to make a revolutioanry disc like Sgt Pepper, mostly because everything's been done in the actual state of music... But remember that this kind of studio time was allowed to The Beatles precisely because it was them... and they opened the door for everyone (well almost)

But yeah I could see a label taking a chance on a totally different kind of experimental music;... If Bjork manages to release albums still nowadays (her latest is out of this world), than, it should be possible anything.
Björk is still in the independent label! I havenīt said there comes nothing interesting from independent labels, although I think Björk hasnīt gone forward anywhere after Volta (really love her Vespertine and Medulla).

And I think times were different even in the nineties than today. Radiohead (I donīt like the band) signed to EMI and was allowed to make itīs experimental records. But also many artists who have been in the major label, has gone to independent these days, because they think the major is not interested them at all. For example Nick Cave did that, Kate Bush has own label these days etc. Only one that I know who got contract from major label last years is Lee Ranaldo. He released an album last year, but at least here in Finland it got no promotion, no music magazines made an review about that or I didnīt hear one local radio station, that play a lot alternative music, play that at all. But yes, P J Harvey is still in the major label and got also attention. Sheīs the only exception.

But still I donīt think everythings is already made, I am not expecting new Sgt. Pepper, but I think there are music makers that can touch me as the music has touched me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 04:26
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^Hope you have heard Mountain album "Nantucket Sleighride" and the greatest Procol albums like "Shine On Brightly".

Also labels really werenīt as dirigist those times as today. Or do you think any major label of today let itīs most popular artist made these days revolutionary album as "Sgt Pepper"? That time they also used really much studio time, if what youīre saying was true, I think that project would have ended really soon.

Of course I heard NS or SOB. Smile

It's impossible nowadays to make a revolutioanry disc like Sgt Pepper, mostly because everything's been done in the actual state of music... But remember that this kind of studio time was allowed to The Beatles precisely because it was them... and they opened the door for everyone (well almost)

But yeah I could see a label taking a chance on a totally different kind of experimental music;... If Bjork manages to release albums still nowadays (her latest is out of this world), than, it should be possible anything.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I wouldn't say "the 70s". for me the decade is from 1967-1976. Artists really tried out unconventional things in that decade, even outside of prog. After 1976 it became a bit formulaic. There are of course exceptions outside of that period, but during that period the feeling of "anything goes" and "all but the kitchen sink" truly dominated.
Agree to all of that for all rock/popular music - but imo jazz was already creatively peaking a little earlier in the sixties. 

I don't know why it should be considered wrong by default to claim that some eras produced better music than others. I think I there's plenty of good arguments for saying that in general 1940-1959 is a less vital, less interesting era in music than 1960-1979. There's partly natural explanations for it such as a world war - just like there is natural, business related explanations regarding why artists were willing, able and could actually make a living while trying out unconventional things during the latter era compared to the post 00's.  

Yeah, jazz arrived to its experimental maturity in 59 (KOB, Time Out, Ornette etc.), but only really hit its stride around 63 (with Trane's ALS and Mingus' Black Saint).

The mid-60's saw the arrival of electrity and electronics in music ... Not as a mean to record and fabricate the support, but inside the music itself....and it wasn't an immediate success: Dylan in folk and Miles in jazz were called traiors by purists.

A whole new continent was discovered around 65/66 when electrcity/electronics entered the flod and within a decade, it was almost totally explored (well, they're still discovering a hidden valley here & there).... So obvipusly the main masterpieces or reference pieces came quickly, and since then (the 80's) a form of stagnation has been dominant.

To find te same climatic conditions to create masterpieces such as in the 66/76 tipmeframe, you'd have to find something as big/revolutionary  as the introduction of electronics in music....
And TBVeryH, I can't even imagine what that would be (maybe the introduction of infra-sounds and ultra-sounds??)

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 04:12
I like older music too, but only Delta Blues has become some kind of passion to me. I donīt know, can I explain, but I think in 1965-1975 music has much more different colours than any other decades (or course there are lots of albums after that period that sounds same to me). I believe the main reason was recording technology. In older days there were no tracks, so everything have to record from the live take. In 1966 studio technology was so developed, that you can made many backing tracks and for example add Indian flute to the song if you wanted (I think first backing tracks were made already fifties, but musicians just donīt have time to make experiments in the studio that time). Even I like also live playing, to me the most interesting time began, when the bands live sound wasnīt the only thing you can record.

These days possibilities are endless, but like Catcher wrote, they are used very little. There are no more producers like George Martin in the major labels, that understand if some musicians are genius. I believe in the minor labels there are creative guys, but to me it seems theyīre mostly making electro music that I just donīt like. There have been few very great albums mixing electro and acoustic elements that I really love, but all of those seem to drown into this mass of music today.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 02:33
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I wouldn't say "the 70s". for me the decade is from 1967-1976. Artists really tried out unconventional things in that decade, even outside of prog. After 1976 it became a bit formulaic. There are of course exceptions outside of that period, but during that period the feeling of "anything goes" and "all but the kitchen sink" truly dominated.
Agree to all of that for all rock/popular music - but imo jazz was already creatively peaking a little earlier in the sixties. 

I don't know why it should be considered wrong by default to claim that some eras produced better music than others. I think I there's plenty of good arguments for saying that in general 1940-1959 is a less vital, less interesting era in music than 1960-1979. There's partly natural explanations for it such as a world war - just like there is natural, business related explanations regarding why artists were willing, able and could actually make a living while trying out unconventional things during the latter era compared to the post 00's.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>