Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat did you like about the music of the 70s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you like about the music of the 70s?
    Posted: December 26 2017 at 16:53
Mainstream music in particular.

For me, the guitar solos that were ever slightly so cool, and centred around 3/10ths from the base of the neck.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 18:09
That dead yet perfectly clean drum sound.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 23:51
I just like 50-70ties production. Sounds were just so much more natural than mostly today (quite many new albums I like has sixties or seventies style production). I think there are something to do also with music styles that I am a big 60-70 music fan.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 00:29
more free spirited, feels like the music is recorded with lower shoulders then today. Like with ease, no mather the difficulity of the music.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 05:32
I was lucky enough to be 10 in '70 and 19 in '79 so my teens coincided with the decade perfectly and the music occupies that sweet spot in my brain.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 05:36
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

I was lucky enough to be 10 in '70 and 19 in '79 so my teens coincided with the decade perfectly and the music occupies that sweet spot in my brain.

This.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 06:53
I liked the organic feel of analog.  I liked the endless string of riffs, memorable melodies, and superior vocal performances.  The bigger than God feel of live performances.  I liked the tea ceremony feel of vinyl and album art.  And last but not least, the child like Christmas present awe expectation of my favorite band unleashing their newest magic release.    
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 07:08
As already mentioned: the warm production.

One thing though. I think a lot of old timers tend to look at these times through somewhat rose-tinted glasses. Brilliant decade for music - no doubt, but there was equally much sh*te and fluff being produced. Granted some of that horrible lollipop muzak did come wrapped in the aforementioned warm production, which makes it mildly more palatable than today's over compressed brethren...but let's not kid ourselves, every decade has it's gems and turds. It's all down to taste and and where you look.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 07:15
^I agree, but have to say (like I think you already say) I listen rather 50-70ties sh*te than today´s. Maybe I am getting old, but even 80ties sh*te sounds me better than today´s. Although I really hate it that time.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 08:32
^Agree also.  The analog, warmer sound.  

I do look at this period with such nostalgia and great memories that I may be biased some, but there is just something missing in today's music (with the exception of some bands and genres).  As mentioned, each era had it's gems and turds.... today's turds are just larger :) 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 12:27
In a single word-Atmosphere
       There is a certain atmosphere created in music from the 70s that can't really be beat, or recreated. Magic was in the air.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 13:36
It wasn't Seals & Crofts ?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 13:53
I love that popular music from the 50s - early 80s...  The music had character and style,  most bands or artists had a lot to offer in terms of their sound..   I find music in today's charts lack that punch and style today.  

The odd track today can be stunning though!....Big smile
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 14:49
Just everything I find in a fair bunch of 60's , 80's, 90's and 00's music.... i.e. punch, groove, emotion, intensity, heart, fire! ;)

Edited by Tillerman88 - December 27 2017 at 14:50
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 09:19
Um...everything!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 08:53
This was a time when new sounds were being created, new patterns.......remember disco and the 4 on the floor pattern along with the open hi-hat sound, now the basis of almost all EDM. 

As stated already, the engineer work in the studio the mixing, mastering of music was an artform a craft. Today it is work done by a computer program, by anyone.....The ear is not used anymore, just turn the volume up and make all the instruments the same level.

Probably the biggest for me is the loss of recording live in a studio by the whole band, rehearsing, practicing to get it right then going in live and laying down the tracks. Yea vocals were done later, but the music man where the emotion lives is tough to find these days. It's too easy to send emails back and forth with sound clips and then pc it together and call it a recording.

The sucky part is when people like Bob Ludwig, Kevin Grey, Ted Jensen, Greg Calbi and the like disappear, I wonder what recorded music will end up sounding like.....I hope I am worm food by the time that happens. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 02:22
That clear, yet-smokey-ass production!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 02:56
I wouldn't say "the 70s". for me the decade is from 1967-1976. Artists really tried out unconventional things in that decade, even outside of prog. After 1976 it became a bit formulaic. There are of course exceptions outside of that period, but during that period the feeling of "anything goes" and "all but the kitchen sink" truly dominated.

Edited by BaldFriede - December 31 2017 at 02:58

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 04:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This was a time when new sounds were being created, new patterns.......remember disco and the 4 on the floor pattern along with the open hi-hat sound, now the basis of almost all EDM. 

As stated already, the engineer work in the studio the mixing, mastering of music was an artform a craft. Today it is work done by a computer program, by anyone.....The ear is not used anymore, just turn the volume up and make all the instruments the same level.

Probably the biggest for me is the loss of recording live in a studio by the whole band, rehearsing, practicing to get it right then going in live and laying down the tracks. Yea vocals were done later, but the music man where the emotion lives is tough to find these days. It's too easy to send emails back and forth with sound clips and then pc it together and call it a recording.

The sucky part is when people like Bob Ludwig, Kevin Grey, Ted Jensen, Greg Calbi and the like disappear, I wonder what recorded music will end up sounding like.....I hope I am worm food by the time that happens. 
Can´t say it better! Here are the reasons, why I listen mostly 50-70 stuff! Although there were yet no digital systems mostly in eighties, I think soundworld started to go wrong already then. Some nineties albums anyway sound better than many eighties. And it´s great thing there are still artists making music as "old school" ways!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 10:05
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Same here.  Not just that I was the perfect age to 'get it', but the 'it' I was getting was incredibly exciting music not heard before.  I guess if I had to condense the reasons into a list it would be this...

1. Bands were able to experiment freely without much record label interference
2. The focus was on melody/harmony rather than rhythm
3. 70's music inherited more from the classical music tradition than the ritual dance music tradition
4. Lyrics were often vague and open to interpretation
5. Instrumental virtuosity was appreciated and encouraged
6. Long compositions and complex music were seen as a worthwhile venture to both create and listen to
7. Concerts often pushed the limits of theater and music
8. Many record labels were still run by music lovers who were willing to take chances on new bands
9. FM Radio still gave many DJ's the freedom to play what they wanted regardless of length or style
10. I looked really good in my Disco Sucks t-shirt

I'd venture that unless the apocalypse comes and we have to start civilization all over again that we'll never see a musical time like the 70's again Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - December 31 2017 at 10:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>