Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exercising an Exorcism: Totally Tubular Music

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these do you enjoy the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [33.33%]
2 [66.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exercising an Exorcism: Totally Tubular Music
    Posted: December 27 2017 at 08:51
Just in time for Halloween haha (the Halloween theme, there's another I might have added)....

This is music that I think has similarities to the Exorcist theme/ Tubular Bells (ambiance, notes, inversions....) -- others sometimes say that they hear no similarities when to me it's abundantly obvious. It has been claimed that Oldfield lifted from Magma's La Dawotsin when hearing it in a studio. Mike Oldfield has said that the theme is Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" "upside down" (compositionally this means inverted not backwards and if one plays both on the piano at the same pace the similarities are particularly easy to spot). Anyway, I was going to include Bach's, which I suspect most here would recognise as it's a very famous piece, but I'll stick with modern ones for the poll.

"La Dawotsin"

"The Exorcist theme"

Tempera's "Sette Note in Nero" from Fulci's same named theme (soundtrack by Bixio Frizzi, Tempera). It is one of my favourite soundtracks, and is not one that Ive seen other people compare to the Exorcist theme, but I hear similarities, but then there is lot of music that has a similar ambiance.

Death Note's "L's Theme" (Hideki Taniuchi and Yoshihisa Hirano). My favourite television anime and love the theme in it. It's often compared to The Exorcist theme.

"Hyouri" from the anime Happyakuyachou Hyouri Kewaishi (composer Kousaki Satoru)

I know there's lots of other similar music, so please list anything you can think of that's relevant. For instance, The Halloween theme has similarities, and then you you open up another set that sounds like Halloween... And Goblin has similar moody stuff, plus Fabio Frizzi.... Suggestions don't have to sound the same of course, but should have similarities or just be of interest to someone who likes this music.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 10:37
LOL, so few views. This, I think, is a good example of how not to come up with a topic title (very poor word play).

Even if no one wants to check out the music, perhaps someone would be kind enough to recommend some more music that has an Exorcist theme-like vibe to it. There must be a ton to choose from (Goblin etc.).
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 13:09
Hey you sneaky ninja - making polls without anyone noticing....the Greg way.

I voted for Sette Note In Nero but really enjoyed all the clips. I am afraid I will be recommending the exact same albums as you are thinking of...so yeah I thought I'd throw you a curveball and say Fred Myrow and Malcolm Seagrave's soundtrack for Phantasm (1979).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 12:52
Neglected to respond before. Been on and off the site and was checking to see how this thread had progressed. That's a good one.

Post Reply Post Reply