Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOld School Connoisseurs Unite!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 08:35
All nice and well, but let me ask a metaphorical question: Why should an art collector go for modern painters who paint in the style of the Baroque Period when there are so many obscure artists from that period missing in his collection?

Jean and I found over a hundred artists we had not even heard the names of in just three days of research, with only one or at the most two albums, many of them not in the archives and probably without a chance to be added because there has been quite a stickler policy here lately. And we consider ourselves to be pretty knowledgeable about this period.

For example: We discovered this beautiful little gem from 1968 which Jean asked for addition of, and there has not even been a reply to her post yet though she made it several weeks ago!

And here a link to her post:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114278

Edited by BaldFriede - April 13 2018 at 09:16

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 18:45
^ a fair question, to which I would say, there’s time for both. New artists drawing upon old styles can still be worthwhile, and they aren’t necessarily carbon copies of the “real” stuff, and can often have a fresh perspective of their own. These days, new bands can release all kinds of stuff without any particular commercial potential, yet still have enough of an audience to make it feasible for them - the result being a broad range of ideas getting studio time, getting released, and somehow finding its audience. Lots of it may suck, but some of it is really great.   And of course I place equal (or greater) value on the obscure old stuff too. Again, I want all of it, and I’ve still got a few good years left in my life to seek it out.

That Lily & Maria sounds pretty sweet too, thanks for that!

Edited by HolyMoly - April 13 2018 at 19:57
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 19:54
The headline led me to believe we were expressing our appreciation for stuff like this.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 01:04
I see this thread is still going, nice one.
I think there is room for both old and new, but I feel it is more important to support bands that are active right this minute over bands that haven't existed for 45 years.
I've come across hundreds of those sort of completely under the radar psych gems and some of them are actually pretty damn good. There's however no chance for me to go see them live...let alone buy a copy of their album, but I love the fact that the music is out there on YouTube. Like Lily & Maria, thanks, that was pretty nice.

Did you guys throw the suggestion directly to the folk team's thread? If not then it probably got buried in an avalanche of other suggestions. Take a look at that part of the forum, it's insurmountable.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 02:09
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

So there is officially a retro movement?   Nice.  

As for Burt, ask him what he is, please - -
Image result for burt reynolds tuba album

That's Turd Ferguson. It's a funny name.

Big hat. It's funny.
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 03:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I see this thread is still going, nice one.
I think there is room for both old and new, but I feel it is more important to support bands that are active right this minute over bands that haven't existed for 45 years.
I've come across hundreds of those sort of completely under the radar psych gems and some of them are actually pretty damn good. There's however no chance for me to go see them live...let alone buy a copy of their album, but I love the fact that the music is out there on YouTube. Like Lily & Maria, thanks, that was pretty nice.

Did you guys throw the suggestion directly to the folk team's thread? If not then it probably got buried in an avalanche of other suggestions. Take a look at that part of the forum, it's insurmountable.

I did a search for that thread but couldn't find it. Can you please give me a direct link?

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 03:40
I thought you guys knew where evaluations took place. You have after all been here longer than I have
All evals take place here (only collabs like yourself can access): http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=75
It's the dandelion patch you seek
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 04:09
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I thought you guys knew where evaluations took place. You have after all been here longer than I have
All evals take place here (only collabs like yourself can access): http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=75
It's the dandelion patch you seek

I knew this thread but didn't know it was the official prog folk team thread. Live and learn!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 06:11
yeah Friede...  yet another example of my subversive influence on the site.  I had a penchant for giving the genre team threads . umm.. distinctive names.  My favorite was.. of course hahah.. the Neo prog team thread hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2018 at 09:41
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

All nice and well, but let me ask a metaphorical question: Why should an art collector go for modern painters who paint in the style of the Baroque Period when there are so many obscure artists from that period?

1. Because despite being inspired by the classics, it's still good and has a similar emotional quality to it
2. Nostalgia

I like the idea of taking some kinda zeigeist and expanding on it. Now, let's make this clear. I'm not a huge fan of downright copying the sound cause that's pretty much ignoring all the good things that came after. More like incorporating the things that made the vintage music so special into the modern world. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with copying either when you think of it deeper. Especially if the reproduction is so well done, it's a form of art in and of itself. The art of capturing that particular sound.

Edited by Hrychu - April 14 2018 at 09:43
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12