Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do believe that females are progressive musicians?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo believe that females are progressive musicians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 21:43
Hi,

I find this thread really sad ... regardless of who wrote it and why.

The one fact that happens here is that the folks that "designed" the top ten for "progressive" music, are not listeners of MUSIC at all, so complaining about a group that does not know "music" and what it entails, in favor of their favorites, is a dead end, and a silly fight that is not going to get anyone anywhere.

One look at this board, even, though it has gotten CONSIDERABLY better in the past 5 years, is that the threads continue to say and think that these 5 groups are "progressive" and that kate Bush, and many others, can not even be considered in the same breadth as YES, ELP and GENESIS, even though the whole catalogue suggests just as much "progressive" material as those bands, all of which went "pop" and "single" and "hit" ... to make money and get away from the "progressive" and "art-rock" idiom that the rock press was ridiculing them with.

The advent of the Internet, early 's let's say, kinda helped women a lot more than before, however, the ideals and "designs" and thoughts, are still aligned with an imaginary ideal of what "progressive" is, and should be, and this prevents any new artists from being appreciated for their work.

It's a gross shame, that things like Incredible String Band, that bent, crossed, kicked, and turned it over like a dead dog, treated "folk music", which was a heck more progressive and experimental than the three previously named bands ... but it will never get that appreciation because of the "database" design and syndrome.

We are not people. There is no choice. Only the numbers in a database matter.

So, nothing against women, they deserve their spot, a lot higher, but until the day that you replace those database folks, the chances of your music being more appreciated and seen around the world, are next to nil.

As the world of "corporate" likes to state all the time with their new hits ... "we don't like competition, and will give you cereal fit for rats for comments .... and we, of course ... continue to do nothing about except support an invisible, totally NON_PROGRESSIVE system that supposedly is defining what we love as music ... the total and complete irony, is just ... astounding!

Edited by moshkito - December 30 2017 at 21:45
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 00:02
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Hey Mortte, I know where you are getting at, but don't think the reality is that dark as you're painting.... I suggest you don't generalise what you've experienced, particularly on niches like this.
You know ... women truly have been inventing and singing melodies since the very beginnings of history, and it's fact for many artists that their mothers were their first unofficial art teachers... 

BTW, we know that babies bond with their mothers at birth for several reasons, among them the fact that, in utero, they learn to recognise the sound of their mothers' voices. Imagine what might be achieved were expectant mothers trained in the singing of a small repertoire of lullabies ;)
Sure cavemen and women had sung a lot, itīs sad when canīt hear them. Also naturally I know for example Hildegard Of Bingen who was a great middle ages woman.

I donīt think you have got right picture of me. Hope is my power, although there is lot of bad in a world, there is also hope. And I really believe womenīs influences in this world will risen. Now I donīt think I havenīt got anything more to say about this issue, letīs concentrate into music thatīt the great light of this world!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 02:17
I've been trying to keep up with this thread, and I still can't figure out why this is even a thread? It seems like a loaded question seeking conflict.

"No one to blame, it's just a shame, that's all..."

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 04:13
I have also been trying to keep up with this thread. I think I know where this has gone.

Let's just say the music world has always been a cut throat place to be. Just look at how many great prog and non prog bands have fallen by the wayside and left for dead over the decades. Forums like this great one here has helped us to find and appreciate this wonderful music.

It does not matter who ,or even what produced the music, if it tickles our taste buds we will eventually buy into it and take and make it as our own.

Your sex has nothing to do with it, and you cannot blame the rest of the population for that. Perhaps you need to look harder at what you are doing and try another angle with it. I believe women can become extremely fine progressive musicians. But it depends on what you are trying to sell us.

All you have to believe is one thing......IT'S THE MUSIC THAT MATTERS.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 04:31
I am not sure this thread should keep going. If this discussion ever is going to be of help it needs to start off decisively more sober and evenhanded.
It would also be of immense help to the gist of the thread that the OP isn't some mad megalomaniac who feels her work is so incredibly fantastic that she needs to flaunt it by denigrating every other hardworking artist. Her hatred for Rachel Flowers for instance reeks of jealosy and is just painful to read.

No if this discussion ever is to succeed in anything, then it needs to start off in a factual and infinitely more friendly tone. This thread fx never had a chance though mostly because the OP comes off so terribly unsympathetic. Like I mentioned earlier, rudeness does not pertain to gender.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 09:35
^ Well, she did create another thread first and it was immediately locked. She had a tantrum and created another one. It seems that the little ploy has backfired and now she looks like a shmuck. I say let this play out or she'll just start another. Of course you can ban her from the site but i don't feel she's done anything horrible on the site itself. Let the rotton tomato throwers giver her a faceful. She brought it on herself and we're not very tolerant when it comes to bad conduct on this site. Just my 2 cents (euros, reales, yuan, etc) worth ;)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 09:49
I don't see progressive rock as being anymore misogynist than any other art form ...musical or otherwise.
It seems that the OP came in with a chip on her shoulder rather than looking for an honest open discussion.
And as many others have already said I have not seen any sign of 'anti women in prog rock' attitudes on this forum....beyond that I'm not sure of the need for the thread either.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 12:21
I donīt want to throw rotten tomatoes towards anyone, not even any idiot president. I think the best way is just not comment. I think everybody now knows whatīs the case. And if there are more people full of negative energy, let them cook it themselves. What they can do this site? I believe that kind of thread is quite short, if there are no-one giving back anything. Of course people can do what they want, but I am not the one who likes this kind of threads at all and want to be a part of it, even yesterday it may have shown that way.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 16:12
Listen to the Kanevsky sisters's Eternal Wanderers. A real masterpiece coming from Russia. "The end of the satellite age" is one of my preferred prog tracks. Clap
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 10:57
This site collects several thousand reviews of underground rock albums by female musicians and bands including female members...

http://rf3769.wixsite.com/richardfalksreviews
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 12:01
Originally posted by Carcharodon Carcharodon wrote:

This site collects several thousand reviews of underground rock albums by female musicians and bands including female members...

Thanks for the ad.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 12:23
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Thanks for the ad.

Ad or not, it's an impressive site and totally relevant. In his posts I've never seen him mention that site, nor would I know if he has any affiliation, so I wouldn't assume it is at all spammy or an ad. In fact, I would have suggested it myself.

Edited by Logan - January 01 2018 at 12:27
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 12:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Women in rock are indeed second class citizens as rock has always been a "boys club". There are sociological reasons for this that are beyond my understanding. However, I've been a long time live sound engineer for many big and small rock artists. Mostly all male bands. I can tell you that I feel that females don't help their cause by being groupies. I could probably count the number of groupies I've seen over the years in the hundreds. And this extends to some prog bands too! Believe it or not.

Does this excuse your plight? Absolutely not. But no effect exists without some self inflicted causes, unfortunately.

I am reminded of the words of G.K. Chesterton when he commented on another, earlier era: "Ten thousand women went marching through the streets shouting, 'We will not be dictated to,' and went off and became stenographers."
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 14:15
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Thanks for the ad.

Ad or not, it's an impressive site and totally relevant. In his posts I've never seen him mention that site, nor would I know if he has any affiliation, so I wouldn't assume it is at all spammy or an ad. In fact, I would have suggested it myself.

Then, I apologise unreservedly.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 01:32
In music world, there is no sex difference. 
But, there is prejudice regarding certain instruments.

My friend is classical guitar player and she studied in musical academy. 
She told me that's its a big challenge to pursue a career of guitarist, because nobody consider female guitarist seriously. Even teachers (because most of them are men).  Basic stereotypes are:  piano is OK for both, violin family is for girls, but guitar is mannish instrument. so if you a girl and you want to play guitar, that's kind of weird thing.  More weird is girl drummer or bass player.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 01:47
It may be true that hand strength and reach allow male guitar players an advantage, but that can be overcome by talent and originality, e.g. Kaki King.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 02:26
Today we do have mainstream female artists who play guitar. Sara Bareilles and Lianne La Havas for example. I believe St Vincent too? But they are all singers. Except in jazz (Mary Holvorson for instance) and classical music, women aren't sought out as musicians, just as singers. And if these singers can play an instrument, they tend to take creative control and gig in their own name.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 02:27
Ok St Vincent isn't really mainstream but the point stands.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 08:47
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I donīt want to throw rotten tomatoes towards anyone, not even any idiot president. I think the best way is just not comment.

You did not see, or hear, the fat old ladies in their perfumes and high heels, coming out of the concert hall in Chicago way back when after seeing Yehudi Menuhin and Ravi Shankar (East Meets West tour) ... and their comments ... 

"... how can anyone call that ... music? ... "
"... way too much improvisation!..."

And you know those ladies will never buy another Yehudi Menuhin album, and definitely not one by Ravi!

A loud perfume, ALWAYS comments, even if it does not say anything! And maybe that is the problem!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 20:30
I watched three YouTube vids by virgorouge, two in which she plays guitar. I recommend she make more effective use of her fret hand pinky.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345