Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What could Yes and King Crimson learn from each ..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat could Yes and King Crimson learn from each ..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What could Yes and King Crimson learn from each ..
    Posted: December 31 2017 at 13:21
other? What do you think
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 13:29
I believe King Crimson learned they should borrow Yes's drummer.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 14:16
I believe Fripp has always gone road of his own, itīs even possible he donīt respect Yes much. But of course he would have pay attention how great drummer Bruford was and was ready when he left Yes. On the other hand when Yes made Relayer, itīs possible least then they had listened KC.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 16:05
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Thumbs Up
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 17:48
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I believe Fripp has always gone road of his own, itīs even possible he donīt respect Yes much. But of course he would have pay attention how great drummer Bruford was and was ready when he left Yes. On the other hand when Yes made Relayer, itīs possible least then they had listened KC.

Of course Yes listened to King Crimson. When Yes were doing shows with their first line-up they got the chance to see King Crimson too, and it's when, I think it's Squire, said they had to practice a lot to up their game, or something like that. And of course, Anderson guested on a King Crimson album.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 19:55
I think both bands are/were exactly as they should be.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 21:35
^Amen....they each had their own style.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 22:18
There was a lot of "cross-fertilization" between nascent bands back then, from what I've read.  The late Peter Banks, original guitarist of Yes, recounts a bit of the counter-influence between Yes and King Crimson in this excellent interview:

With Crimson, I met Fripp a few times, he used to come to see Yes at The Marquee. And I didn't know Fripp was a guitar player, I didn't know much about him. He used to come and he was always wearing a cape, like a cloak with a hood, like a monk. And he had little glasses on, like John Lennon, and he was very tense and he always talked to me after the show and we would talk about guitar strings and guitars, all that kind of stuff. 

And he was quite nice but seemed a little eccentric and I didn't know much about Crimson, but I do knew that we was putting some sort of band together, I didn't know much more about it than that. And they had very secretive rehearsals. I've known Greg (Lake), 'cause he was with a band from Bournemouth called The Gods. Chris (Squire) and I knew Greg. 

I think that was the very first gig King Crimson ever did, certainly the first night I saw them, and it was absolutely amazing! And I was standing at the bar with a drink and I never touch my drink throughout the whole set, I just stood there in total amazement. Bill (Bruford) was standing next to me, I think, and we just stood there kind of open mouthed and... I think all of us were there. And we just watched them and immediately we were just amazed about how tight they were, and how good they were, and how good the composition was, and how original they sounded, and we just realized immediately... We thought that we were the best band around, and we probably were. We were pretty confident, as far as London bands went, that Yes were the one. We thought that nobody else was better than us. 

Crimson tore all that apart. I think we actually said that night we needed to rehearse a lot more. 

(RIP Peter Banks!)
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
ClosetothSupperBrick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 23:06
King Crimson could learn to write longer, more cohesive epics with more keyboard soloing/prominent bass lines/beautiful vocals and "togetherness" among the different instruments.

Yes could learn to have "dark" sound textures, use mellotrons to the fullest potential, have more unique (or weird, in other words) chord sequences, and to have a more creative, deviation from traditional song structures/melodies, diverse instrumentation and a "going for more beauty over progginess" songwriting approach (which would include a focus on improvisation, because Yes were very methodical and planned out.)
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 00:25
^I quess you know KC Lizard? Because I think itīs one of the greatest longer epics in prog and it also has Anderson in vocals (I forgot that guesting in my earlier comment).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 02:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Amen....they each had their own style.

Right? These questions are good for creative thinking, but you'll see people basically tweaking the things that made these bands so great to begin with LOL. To each their own!

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 04:28
1) The art of fencing
2) Mastering Russian
3) Quilting
4) Make gold
5) Interpret 'icing' rule
6) Shave
7) The ultimate spaghetti bolognese recipe
8) Wooing women when completely asexual
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 08:13
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Indeed. Back in the day, the idea was to create your own music. Not that you were not influenced by others, but you wanted to create your own identity, and make the best music you could. I believe both bands aimed for this, and as a matter of fact, most everyone did, and at the same time, they respected other bands/artist efforts.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 10:22

Borrow?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 10:28
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Borrow?

Steal? Filch? Appropriate? Commandeer? Inherit? Purloin? Snatch? Poach? Pilfer? Despoil? Pillage? Acquire? Adopt?

Pick a word. Don't be dense.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 15:25
If either bring out a new studio album this year - I'd say Yes need more of the depth and complexity that King Crimson are showing live at present - while King Crimson could benefit with a bit more melody and simplicity in their songs at times. However, from a historical perspective, how great was it for us to have these two bands ploughing their own furrows through those decades!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 17:07

Exactly.  I wouldn't want Crimson to ever be more like Yes or the reverse.  Their differences are the reasons I love them both.  In Fripp's journal that came with the old vinyl version of "The Young Person's Guide to King Crimson" (now available online at http://www.elephant-talk.com/articles/fripp-yp.htm) he quoted a rolling stone review of Starless and Bible Black that commented on the difference between the bands, saying among other things:

"Where Yes would marvel at the world, Crimson prefers to grab it by the balls." LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 01 2018 at 17:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 18:02
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Exactly.  I wouldn't want Crimson to ever be more like Yes or the reverse.  Their differences are the reasons I love them both.  In Fripp's journal that came with the old vinyl version of "The Young Person's Guide to King Crimson" (now available online at http://www.elephant-talk.com/articles/fripp-yp.htm) he quoted a rolling stone review of Starless and Bible Black that commented on the difference between the bands, saying among other things:

"Where Yes would marvel at the world, Crimson prefers to grab it by the balls." LOL

Yes is Yes and KC is KC. Never the twain should meet IMHO. We get the perfect crossover with Bruford dipping into both bands across the early 70's. He "coincidentally" plays on some of their best recordings. As others have mentioned, Anderson did some guest vocals for KC.

I've had people tell me Yes is "too Christian sounding" for their ears. I've also had people say KC is too complicated for their ears. They should check out Gentle Giant! LOL

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 18:12
Well they have pretty much retired now. So they won't be learning anything from each other lol
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 18:15
If I was Crimson I would have kept Giles, Lake, Mcdonald and Sinfield in 1971 and built a band with strong melody and continued past 1975 until 1980 at least.
If I was Yes I would have kept Wakeman and Bruford and allow them more control to give us more of the melody we had up until 1972.

Edited by dr prog - January 01 2018 at 18:16
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>