Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Waters 2018 tour: Us & them

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters 2018 tour: Us & them
    Posted: January 01 2018 at 08:08
Just bought ticket from his next autumns Finland gig. I am really excited, cause never seen any of them. Hope he will play Dogs that has been in the setlist.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 09:26
The 2018 European Us + Them tour will visit Portugal through Russia with shows in 23 countries -- Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. Watch out for full details of cities and dates following soon. 

The tour has garnered rave reviews – with the setlist being called “spectacular” and the production referred to as “eye-popping.” 

The show features songs from Pink Floyd’s greatest albums (The Dark Side of The MoonThe Wall, Animals, Wish You Were Here) plus some new songs from his album Is This the Life We Really Want?, out June 2. 

Roger Waters’ legendary live performances are renowned as immersive sensory experiences featuring high class, state-of- the-art audio visual production and breathtaking quad sound. This new tour promises to be no exception, following months of meticulous planning and visionary craft, it will inspire crowds with its powerful delivery to take the audience on a musical journey

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 10:12
I caught him on his recent The Wall tour. That will have to do. The prices here are insane. I'd rather go see 3-4 other gigs for the same amount of money. I mean with the size of the venue here, the only real viable option (if you want to be able to see what is happening on stage plus actually hear it in front of you) costs 120€ or more. Too rich for my blood.
Either way I'm still a little jealous of you. It will most certainly be a great gig.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 10:58
I´m a jealous you too, because I didn´t see the Wall, although Rog brought it to Finland. Our family just came from India, so I was so tired about the trip. Of course my friend told how great it was! But of course, I believe this will be great too specially because he plays so much Floyd!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 16:01
Not totally happy with the ticket prices but many see this as the most 'Authentic' Pink Floyd experience you are now going to get so the demand is big,. I'm going to the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham which happens to be both my favourite rock venue and also my favourite city for a night out. It will be a weekend so I'm already looking forward to it!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 07:47
In Finland price of a normal ticket is not higher than in any this kind of big concert. But of course if you want luxury, then you have to pay. Prices of the big concerts have of course risen a lot. I have just read a book about the international artists that have been in Finland from 50 to 70 and prices (even the ones the writers of that time say high) are so ridicilous.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 01:22
In Rome it costs 96€, but you have to stand up on the lawn. My young daughter would love to go but she wouldn't see anything so we won't go. She's 9 years old and she has a photo with Durga Mc Broom.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 01:43
79 euros in Finland.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 09:50
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I caught him on his recent The Wall tour. That will have to do. The prices here are insane. I'd rather go see 3-4 other gigs for the same amount of money. I mean with the size of the venue here, the only real viable option (if you want to be able to see what is happening on stage plus actually hear it in front of you) costs 120€ or more. Too rich for my blood.

When you look at your life ... let's say 50 years of it ... there are moments that you will remember, and something like THE WALL, or even this tour, will FOREVER be in your mind and imagination, because it was huge and it was strong, and well done ... and that is not something that comes with 95% of all the bands out there that do not show you anything, and for the most part do not mean anything ... except more money, or a chance at stardom and future ... unlike Roger, who does not need the money ... but there are millions of PF fans that never got a chance to see it, and the huge shows that they were, and while these are not anywhere near the same thing, they are a fairly good replica of the originals. (Catch my review of THE WALL tour that also compares it to the original!) 

In my life, I got to see a few things that were "majestic" and very "special". Pink Floyd was one, and yes it was expansive. King Crimson (recent 3 drummer tour) was finally on my watch list and it was excellent, but somehow I had not really wanted to see the previous tours ... I did not care for Belew a whole lot, and the material was not as great as the Bruford/Wetton years, for example. I saw Richard Kiley do the original Man of La Mancha ... and of many musicals, you can still hear folks in school say how incredible he was. I got to see Yehudi Menuhin and Ravi Shankar (East Meets West) and see the National Theater of the Deaf, The ETC La Mama Group, some of the huge LA theater shows ... and things that are ... ONCE IN A LIFETIME ... things, that you won't be able to see them ever again ... so if you have NEVER seen one of the MONSTER groups and shows, this is one of the chances to do it ... and yeah ... all of these were not cheap, and a Pavarotti, or Nureyev, or Misha, would have cost you at least twice that much at that time ... so the price is not out of line for a once in a lifetime chance.

Today, with so much music and so much internet and so much thinking that everything including a cup of the steaming heap of music, is GREAT ... you and I, for the most part, have lost the ability to KNOW and FIND something different and special that will color your life ... so you go watch bandX ... and it sounds like 10 other bands, and has nothing new to show you ... and their stage show? ... basic lights that don't color anything, and done by someone that does not even know the music!

The only thing I can say ... is ... give yourself a chance to see the special things that the arts have to show ... they will stay with you forever, and they are a very important part of your upbringing and growth ... and you probably want to get a little closer to it, to feel it even better.

But yeah, I was not exactly broke at the times for most of these, but these days, I can not see a lot of things (including movies) because of being on SS and all that and not being able to drive at night comfortably ... somethings that happen when you are pushing the late 60's ... just remember that ... and you do not want to look back and say ... yeah, I missed that ... you want to "feel" it, like it FELT you!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply