FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acid, freak, wyrd folk and related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acid, freak, wyrd folk and related
    Posted: October 10 2019 at 01:18
[QUOTE=Logan]

I did make a "The Disco Appreciation Thread!!!"
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112593[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. When you mentioned Disco,  Giorgio Moroder and Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" was the first song that came to mind, and purely by coincidence, I noticed you mentioned Giorgio Moroder in the first line of your thread. Smile

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 21:59
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'd like to turn this into a general folk appreciation thread where hopefully many people can banter and discover music that might appeal to their tastes. Maybe I should rename the topic. I'll do a disco one, that might lead to some spirited debate -- although I much prefer dialectic.

I'm looking forward to your Disco topic. Thumbs Up

I did make a "The Disco Appreciation Thread!!!"
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112593
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 21:49
I know and like that Broselmaschine, good one.

Plenty of good psych folk in Krautrock and lots I love in Indo-Prog/ Raga Rock.

Mentioned him already, but Sergius Golowin, listed in Krautrock, is a particular favourite. Emtidi's Saat is one of my fave FolKraut (Folk Kraut) ones -- (listed in folk here). I like Emma Myldenberger's Tour de France (listed in Krautrock here).

Edited by Logan - October 09 2019 at 21:55
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 18:49
There's a lot of great psych folk hidden under the guise of Krautrock as well. This is just one such case that may not technically be completely folk but has a lot of it

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 12:27

I'd like to turn this into a general folk appreciation thread where hopefully many people can banter and discover music that might appeal to their tastes. Maybe I should rename the topic. I'll do a disco one, that might lead to some spirited debate -- although I much prefer dialectic.

I'm looking forward to your Disco topic. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 10:51

As you're Psychedelic Paul, your folk poll seemed surprisingly light on the psych to me to be honest (course a lot of great acid pysch is not really "prog" per se). Anyway, love that Loudest Whisper. I had heard it before, but not for quite a long time. Thanks.

Not to worry, it's early days yet - I have a new Folk poll coming up soon which WILL feature lots of Acid/Psych-Folk artists, including many of those "wyrd" and wonderful artists you mentioned in my Prog-Folk thread. Smile

I never get tired of listening to that amazing Loudest Whisper album. It's just one of the many hidden treasures of YouTube where I never would have discovered that rare and long-lost album without the help of the Internet.

One of the rarest Folk albums of all time is Susan Christie's "Paint a Lady" album from 1970. There were only three pressings of the album ever made!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 09 2019 at 12:28
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 10:19
As you're Psychedelic Paul, your folk poll seemed surprisingly light on the psych to me to be honest (course a lot of great acid pysch is not really "prog" per se). Anyway, love that Loudest Whisper. I had heard it before, but not for quite a long time. Thanks.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 09:46
This is my kind of music, as you probably guessed from my Prog-Folk poll. Smile

I don't think I've heard anyone mention Loudest Whisper so far - they were a rare Prog-Folk/Psych-Folk band from Ireland. Their LP "The Children of Lir" only had 500 pressings and the album was only sold in Ireland, although I was lucky enough to buy it on CD from Amazon. This is the opening track from the album...

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 09 2019 at 09:47
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 07:25
Just been listening to Paul Roland & The Hellfire Club's album A Cabinet of Curiosities album again, which is not to confused with the Cabinet of Natural Curosities posted a few posts up:

And while I mentioned Exuma in my first post, don't think I mentioned Dr. John, the Night Tripper's Gris-Gris (maybe someone did); it has freak folk qualities.

Did a poll comparing these two acts and used these samples some time back, but it wasn't considered interesting enough to get responses, still mention them here.

Edited by Logan - October 09 2019 at 07:36
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 06:19
Meg Baird:

More Buffy Sainte-Marie:

Oh, and also off Buffy Sainte-Marie's 1967 album Fire & Fleet & Candlelight, I want to mention "Reynardine - A Vampire Legend" from the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer, if only to make such a poor joke.

Edited by Logan - May 17 2019 at 07:29
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 12:59
^^ I have TwinSisterMoon's The Hollow Mountain, like it very much. Love "Periodicity", the Greg Malcollm, and well, all great, enjoyable for me stuff you've mentioned.

And thanks for the RYM "folk horror in music" list. That should be a good resource. I'm a big fan of folk horror film and TV (especially The Wicker Man in film and Children of the Stones in TV), and had made a long poll some months back which took me a long time to compile which I lost to Captcha (neglected to save my work properly).
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2019 at 18:27
Has Changes been mentioned yet? Predecessor to neofolk (first album was released in the 90s, but recorded in the late 60s/70s)

And then there's this gem:

People interested in this category should check out this RYM list:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2019 at 13:40
I know Akron/Family. Been meaning to revisit them. That Fahey tribute album is one I should check out. I have long known and loved the Sujfan track on there. 

Last year, David Garland released a 4-hour electroacoustic chamber folk mammoth Verdancy. It strikes me as sort of a folk version of Jim O'Rourke's Eureka. It can be a bit sweet at times, but there's not a moment on the record that isn't crafted with care, and the moments that venture into more experimental territory are exhilerating. I'm mainly posting "Periodicity" for length's sake, but the best tracks are the lengthier ones which make use of his "modified guitar" in which "electronics... provoke the vibration of wire and wood," producing resonant tones and feedback which give his performances a droning ambient feel. 

Of course, you have Natural Snow Buildings and TwinSisterMoon (a member of NSB) who create a special kind of lo-fi drone avant-folk. I prefer TwinSisterMoon's solo work, so I will post this song from The Hollowed Mountain: 

Then there's Spires That in The Sunset Rise, who get even stranger than NSB, evoking some of the "witchiness" 

You also have Greg Malcolm and his album Some Other Time, full of highly experimental semi-improvisatory drone folk:

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 14:46
And coincidentally that is the only RT album I own.  
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 14:40
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Admirals Hard
Arch Garrison
Stars in Battledress
The Unthanks
Circulus
Kate Rusby
Lady Maisery

The only old name I will mention is that of the sadly now largely forgotten  Anne Briggs. For some, I need say no more. For others, Google and Spotify. The purest voice you will ever hear, still gives me goosebumps.  She started singing and gigging as a teen in the late 50s. She recorded a total of about 30 songs. But she came to hate recording and hated the sound of her own voice. Then in 1971 aged only 27 she stopped and kind of became a recluse. She was the influence for so many other female folk singers back in the day.

Apparently Anne Briggs is the basis for the Richard Thompson song Beeswing below..beautiful track one of RT's best

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 04:27
Admirals Hard
Arch Garrison
Stars in Battledress
The Unthanks
Circulus
Kate Rusby
Lady Maisery

The only old name I will mention is that of the sadly now largely forgotten  Anne Briggs. For some, I need say no more. For others, Google and Spotify. The purest voice you will ever hear, still gives me goosebumps.  She started singing and gigging as a teen in the late 50s. She recorded a total of about 30 songs. But she came to hate recording and hated the sound of her own voice. Then in 1971 aged only 27 she stopped and kind of became a recluse. She was the influence for so many other female folk singers back in the day.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 25 2019 at 04:57
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 05:59
I know Robbie Basho very well, and very worth mentioning (I mentioned him briefly in the thread before, but I had no links to his music) (I'd known music of his for longer, but I was on a big Basho kick about a year ago). Of the others, I really like Cross.

Some of these might have been mentioned already, I'm just waking up.

A favourite of mine (terry Callier's Occasional Rain from 1972):

Akron - Family

Cul de Sac “Portland Cement Factory at Monolith, California”

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 18:30
More listening for the growing lists....Am familiar with Robbie Basho, but many of these look intriguing!

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 18:05
^Thanks, Greg. Was big into stuff like this when I joined the site and my interested in it returned in the past couple of years, so I definitely have more to post. Speaking of:

I mentioned Mount Eerie in the other thread. Phil Elverum has flirted with and gone all the way with, at times, avant-folk and pysch folk both as Mount Eerie and in his former band The Microphones. The album Mount Eerie by the Microphones (confusing, I know) is a good example. He kind of sits between Sufjan Stevens and David Tibet (even having Tibet's darkness and atmosphere at the beginning of this decade with Wind's Poem, Ocean's Roar, and Clear Moon).

Robbie Basho is known most as John Fahey's Hindustani-influenced American Primitivist compadre, but imo he fits in like a glove here. Also, his guitar work is to die for. 

James Blakeshaw, of course, deserves a mention, being heavily influenced by Basho and also being on Current 93 records.

And to end with another traditional-not-traditional rec, you have Kíla, a Celtic folk band from Ireland who uses more progressive structures and draws from other traditional folk musics aside from Celtic and is one of the few folk bands I've heard rival Comus in intensity. The title track of Luna Park is one of my favorite tracks period. 

Edited by Polymorphia - February 22 2019 at 18:13
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 06:40
^^^ Tony (Polymorphia), that is an awesome post, thank you so much (beautifully presented). That Richard Dawson can be so off-kilter, and with interesting contrasts, in such a unique and I find truly engaging way. I had caught some music of his before, and I want to get his Peasant album now. I'm now tempted to do a Peasant vs. The Pheasant poll. ;)

I enjoyed all of that very much

Edited by Logan - February 21 2019 at 06:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>